Sign in to follow this  

Wes set to make his 100th appearance for the club against palace. I still can''t believe the jury remains out on this guy, great achievment and one of the only ones that stuck around after relegation to help us win promotion. For that alone he deserves credit. I just wish he got a bit more credit from the fans, so many still don''t rate him!

Anyway well done wes and let''s hope your still around in another 100 games. Top player!

Couldnt agree more Lincoln,I just worry a player of his ability doesnt seem to come across very happy at the moment.They do seem to rave about him on sky aswell so hopefully he will still stay with us when the transfer window opens.

Althoug I can why managers get frustrated wirth Hoolahan cause on an off day hes a waste of space, these games are now few and far between and when on song hes a matchwinner!

Find it strange that hes playing really well this season yet is still in and out of the team. I just hope the rumours of discontent and him going aren''t true!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Althoug I can understand why managers get frustrated with Hoolahan cause on an off day hes a waste of space, these games are now few and far between and when on song hes a matchwinner!

Find it strange that hes playing really well this season yet is still in and out of the team. I just hope the rumours of discontent and him going aren''t true!

[/quote]

Hoolahan has scored 5 goals in 15 starts from midfield, in contrast to Martins 4 in 15 as a striker. That is without accounting for how he chips in with assists, and how key he is to the dimensions of our play when on the pitch. And should anyone doubt his ability to conjure something out of nothing, one must seek out footage of his goals against Southampton in our relegation season (take note on our form before and after his injury; deserves far more credit for what he did under Gunn), or Leicester this year. Simply sublime.The man scored 15 goals for us last season (again, from midfield), and sailed away with assists in the league overall until the final month or so.I remember last season, when Wes Hoolahan won Player Of The Month in the league, yet Grant Holt won the same award at the club. Crazy. And when Hoolahan was recognised as 1 of the top 3 players (Beckford and Lambert being the others) in the leagues award ceremony, yet Grant Holt went on to win Player Of The Season, and Hoolahan (criminally) didn''t even enter the top 3 at the club.I''ve always felt he''s been undervalued at this club. Not by those intelligent enough to interpret his game for what it is, but for some reason he''s never managed to pierce the consensus of our fan-base.Perhaps it was never meant to work; Norwich and Hoolahan; but i can''t deny it being desperately unfortunate if so. A little sad even.

John, that''s absolutely spot on.  Thankfully there are also a great number of fans who recognise and appreciate what a talent he is and he will be greatly missed if he does leave.  I still believe he is the most talented and naturally-gifted footballer we have at the club right now.

John I agree with everything there mate, he is so undervalued by our fans who choose to remember misplaced passes over his exceptional goals and assists. I too hope that wes knows there''s plenty of support from the people who actually know football. I would love to see wes start in a more advanced role just behind holt with Martin rested for a bit.

If he was to leave I would be gutted. Wes never gives many interviews it''s impossible to judge what his plans are, he cleary isn''t happy on the bench. Lambert would be a fool not to offer him a contract and allow him to leave, wouldn''t he?

I am slightly concerned that when Lambert first arrived who told the media wes wasn''t needed. Does anyone share concerns deep down Lambert doesn''t see Wes in his long term plans?

[quote user="John"]Hoolahan has scored 5 goals in 15 starts from midfield, in contrast to Martins 4 in 15 as a striker. That is without accounting for how he chips in with assists, and how key he is to the dimensions of our play when on the pitch. And should anyone doubt his ability to conjure something out of nothing, one must seek out footage of his goals against Southampton in our relegation season (take note on our form before and after his injury; deserves far more credit for what he did under Gunn), or Leicester this year. Simply sublime.

The man scored 15 goals for us last season (again, from midfield), and sailed away with assists in the league overall until the final month or so.

I remember last season, when Wes Hoolahan won Player Of The Month in the league, yet Grant Holt won the same award at the club. Crazy. And when Hoolahan was recognised as 1 of the top 3 players (Beckford and Lambert being the others) in the leagues award ceremony, yet Grant Holt went on to win Player Of The Season, and Hoolahan (criminally) didn''t even enter the top 3 at the club.

I''ve always felt he''s been undervalued at this club. Not by those intelligent enough to interpret his game for what it is, but for some reason he''s never managed to pierce the consensus of our fan-base.

Perhaps it was never meant to work; Norwich and Hoolahan; but i can''t deny it being desperately unfortunate if so. A little sad even.
[/quote]

All I will say is he is very much like a tap. But when he''s hot, he''s hot.

There is a simple reason Wes seems to be rarely recognised by the fans.  Of course he''s brilliant, scores goals and makes goals and is totally unplayable a lot of the time- he is really brilliant!But, he is not a traditional winger, he is not as pacy as McNamee, or Eadie or Hucks and fans like to see people bombing down the wings and beating people for pace.  His style of play is not so much that, but is still great although it doesn''t excite quite so much, and therefore commands less attention.Brilliant - but just a  different package!

Wes is a ''old fashioned'' playmaker, one who often creates moments of frustration followed by pure footballing magnificence. These types of playmaker are, sadly, becoming things of the past as both fans and mangers ask them to take on increasingly pragmatic rolls. Wes is quite simply unique which makes him extremly hard for any team to face and I sure as hell hope these rumors of him leaving are total bol***ks.

I agree with most of the comments about Wes and think with out a doubt he should get more recognition for what he contributes to a passing Norwich side.My worry is why does Lambert not see this and keep dropping him?

I rate wes a lot, very good player, but can understand some peoples problems with him, he can be brilliant, but when hes not having  a great game he really is quite inneffective. I am worried about his contract situation, maybe he already has another move lined up, he can sign a pre contract agreement with a club next month so surely if Lambert were, looking to keep him he would already have him signed up to a new contract, i havnt even hear of talk of contract negotiations, has anyone else?I remember when Lambert first came to the club, he dropped hoolahan and doherty instantly, not really sure about the reasoning behind this but it did do a world of good for Wes. Didn''t Hoolahan play for Lambert at a different club as-well, or am i imagining this?On another point, would people prefer to see Wes sold for cash in Jan, or allowed to go on free in the summer. I personally dont think we should cash in on him, as players with 6 months on their contracts barely get a good price and if he can help us claim a play-off place this will be much more beneficial. Hopefully though we will see him sign new contract soon

[quote user="priceyrice"]I rate wes a lot, very good player, but can understand some peoples problems with him, he can be brilliant, but when hes not having  a great game he really is quite inneffective. I am worried about his contract situation, maybe he already has another move lined up, he can sign a pre contract agreement with a club next month so surely if Lambert were, looking to keep him he would already have him signed up to a new contract, i havnt even hear of talk of contract negotiations, has anyone else?I remember when Lambert first came to the club, he dropped hoolahan and doherty instantly, not really sure about the reasoning behind this but it did do a world of good for Wes. Didn''t Hoolahan play for Lambert at a different club as-well, or am i imagining this?On another point, would people prefer to see Wes sold for cash in Jan, or allowed to go on free in the summer. I personally dont think we should cash in on him, as players with 6 months on their contracts barely get a good price and if he can help us claim a play-off place this will be much more beneficial. Hopefully though we will see him sign new contract soon[/quote]

I for one would love to see Wes sign a new contract,does anyone know if Lambert has made him an offer?

Nice problem to have though isn''t it? Having Hoolahan on the bench as clearly the first 11 are doing well enough to keep him sat there.

No question he''s got some quality, but it''s about a squad of players rather than one individual. If our manager and coaches feel he''s not slotting into the greater scheme of things then perhaps we should cash in... especially if it means we can free up some cash to bring in a striker to strengthen a particular area of weakness we have, and especially if he''s unhappy. Perhaps the attitude isn''t quite right.

Lambert mentioned he wanted hungry players... is Hoolahan hungry? He always seems a little pissed off and withdrawn to me. Just reading into it a little too much. No question he has quality though... a quality we can either tap into on the pitch, or use as an asset to generate income.

It''s a nice problem to have!

[quote user="Michael Starr"]

Nice problem to have though isn''t it? Having Hoolahan on the bench as clearly the first 11 are doing well enough to keep him sat there.

No question he''s got some quality, but it''s about a squad of players rather than one individual. If our manager and coaches feel he''s not slotting into the greater scheme of things then perhaps we should cash in... especially if it means we can free up some cash to bring in a striker to strengthen a particular area of weakness we have, and especially if he''s unhappy. Perhaps the attitude isn''t quite right.

Lambert mentioned he wanted hungry players... is Hoolahan hungry? He always seems a little pissed off and withdrawn to me. Just reading into it a little too much. No question he has quality though... a quality we can either tap into on the pitch, or use as an asset to generate income.

It''s a nice problem to have!

[/quote]

So your happy to cash in on top players? You appear to be in the catorgory of fans that fail to appreciate what a special little player Hoolahan is.