Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Whats the latest on the Selhurst Park pitch?

Most of the snow''s gone in central london - there was a big thaw last night and when i woke up this morning the park opposite that was covered in snow is about 80-90 grass now. Next few days the temps expected to be around the 0c mark but Xmas night is ment to be very cold with a low of -4c so there''s still a chance the pitch might be frozen come Boxing day but Palace are fairly confident and I''d say there''s a 70/30 chance that the game will go ahead..

The very low temperatures on Saturday night are a bit of a worry. They don''t have undersoil and they say the covers protect down to around -3.  Given it''s a lunchtime rather than 3pm kick off, there won''t be much time for a thaw. The only hope is that the daytime temp is forecast up to +3 which might just be enough to thaw it out. I think 50/50 is a more realistic assessment.

Your major concern should be will the 5 portaloos serving about 5000 people be frozen or not .dont worry about the pitch we could all pee on it to thaw it out , Selhurst pk what a slum but ill be there

Hopefully it shouldn''t affect most people,but there is a tube strike planned for Boxing Day.Just a warning[Y]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Taking a bit of a risk, setting off at 8am tomorrow but we''ve not got tickets so if it is called off we''ve only lost a few £ in petrol money.[/quote]

Makes it awkward with a 1pm kickoff doesn''t it although with the coaches all leaving at 8am you would hope that they would assess the pitch and make a decision pretty early.

Wonder why we''re not playing at 3pm like most other clubs in the championship??

The 1pm start is very frustrating indeed, the early start also prevents the pitch and surrounding areas in and around Selhurst Park thawing for a few hours in the afternoon, so if there is a big freeze tonight the game could be in some doubt.

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]Your major concern should be will the 5 portaloos serving about 5000 people be frozen or not .dont worry about the pitch we could all pee on it to thaw it out , Selhurst pk what a slum but ill be there[/quote]

I predict ice skating opportunities in the ladies loos if previous visits are anything to go by.

Currently minus 2 in that part of London and expected to go down to minus 4...depends whether the sun can get out early enough as it is expected to get to 2 degrees tomorrow at best.

I''d put money on it going ahead, a bit like Walsall last season, I''m sure they want this one for the revenue as a rescheduled will be a poorly attended midweek game by home fans.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="cityangel"]

Thats a shame [:(]

[/quote]

Might be a blessing in disguise Angel.

More chance of injuries on a bone-hard pitch plus Selhurst is a depressing enough place even when you''re not freezing your **** off.
[/quote]

Very true. At least calling it off before 9am saved people getting too far in their travels too.

Still think that it should be mandatory for all Prem/Championship clubs to have undersoil heating nowadays.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="cityangel"]

Thats a shame [:(]

[/quote]Might be a blessing in disguise Angel.More chance of injuries on a bone-hard pitch plus Selhurst is a depressing enough place even when you''re not freezing your **** off.[/quote]

Very true. At least calling it off before 9am saved people getting too far in their travels too.

Still think that it should be mandatory for all Prem/Championship clubs to have undersoil heating nowadays.

[/quote]I agree with your undersoil heating comments but I think it should only apply to Premiership clubs. The obscene amounts of money they get from television should make it a condition of Premiership membership as it''s the TV companiies that are keeping them in clover.

It''s frustrating, because I think we would have won today.

On the plus side, the Christmas football schedule is extremely heavy, so having one game called off probably isn''t a bad thing.

It does put pressure on our home form though, as we now need at least 4 points from Sheffield United and QPR in my opinion.

I can also see M''boro getting called off, so we may end up with 3 home games back-to-back. The results we get in them will become even more crucial if that happens, especially considering the opposition.

Interesting that League 2 Wycombe( not more than 35 miles from Palace at a guess ) have managed  to get their game on plus Fulham with no undersoil heating is still on ??

[quote user="cityangel"]Interesting that League 2 Wycombe( not more than 35 miles from Palace at a guess ) have managed  to get their game on plus Fulham with no undersoil heating is still on ??[/quote]They''re one of the few lower league grounds that do have undersoil heating.Presumably it was installed when the stadium was constructed in the 1980''s

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="cityangel"]Interesting that League 2 Wycombe( not more than 35 miles from Palace at a guess ) have managed  to get their game on plus Fulham with no undersoil heating is still on ??[/quote]

They''re one of the few lower league grounds that do have undersoil heating.

Presumably it was installed when the stadium was constructed in the 1980''s
[/quote]

How come Fulham and Ipswich have managed to get their game on with no undersoil heating ??

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="cityangel"]Interesting that League 2 Wycombe( not more than 35 miles from Palace at a guess ) have managed  to get their game on plus Fulham with no undersoil heating is still on ??[/quote]

[/quote]

How come Fulham and Ipswich have managed to get their game on with no undersoil heating ??

[/quote]

Fulham have got undersoil heating and Ipswich isn''t in London...?

It''s hard work on here sometimes....must be the equal rights or something!

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought that the various media outlets keep saying that Blackpool are the only Premier League club without undersoil heating so i am assuming that Fulham do have it installed.May i also say my little Angel that i reaaly do not give a flying fig whether the scum are playing or not.