Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Time to change to football calendar ??.....discuss

How would the change over be implemented?

Would the season prior to the change over be cut short/cancelled?

Would we finish one season and then the very next week start the next?

[quote user="Pigs in Space"]

[/quote]

One season ends in May.....the next one starts the following March, yes there would be a bit of a gap in between, but in 100 years time nobody would remember that!

one footnote, in the last week or so it has emerged that Scotland are seriously considering doing this to follow the likes of Russia and the Scandinavian countries.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Pigs in Space"]

[/quote]

One season ends in May.....the next one starts the following March, yes there would be a bit of a gap in between, but in 100 years time nobody would remember that!

one footnote, in the last week or so it has emerged that Scotland are seriously considering doing this to follow the likes of Russia and the Scandinavian countries.

[/quote]

10 Months without any football!! the world would come to an end...

There are a couple of things that the op has not really mentioned, the first which an earlier poster has is that if we were to compete in UEFA tournaments or on the international scene we would have to hope that the rest of Europe also committed to playing in the summer. You are asking therefore the Spanish league and Italian league ( and more like it ) to play in 40 degrees of heat so that we dont have to play in the cold.

Secondly I beleive that very few games have been called off where there has been undersoil heating ( Wycombe a perfect example ). The odd game that has called off was the likes of Everton ( frozen pipes ) and Arsenel but you could not legistate for a snow fall like that an hour before kick off. I would also suggest that within the next 10 years a synthetic pitch or the soil itself not to freeze will be invented lets face it we are almost there.

Global warning has also brought mass flooding, so in some areas there will still be loads of games called off, Worcesters cricket ground is constantly flooded.     

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="shefcanary"]Er since when does the current football close season allow people to get away with their families.  With the football league over the past few seasons starting in the first week of August, and the school terms now ending in the last week of July, you cannot get a fortnight''s holiday in with the kids without missing a footie match.  Now you can''t take the kids out of school without risking imprisonment, the argument over the football close season allowing all to take a holiday has gone for good. 

Might as well follow Rugby League - er but on the other hand that sport never became a world beater though with increased attendances (although that is more to do with playing with other rules too much so that no-one enjoys it anymore)!   The winter is for indoor sports - ice hockey anyone?
[/quote]

Really? Sorry cannot agree with your comments regarding indoor winter sports. I love the uncertainty of fixtures being called off, adding to the "better to have points on the board rather than games in hand" scenario. I love the heat more than anyone but games played in the dark, floodlights on and driving rain is something I''d really miss.

Something Gennaro Gattuso clearly feels also: " The perfect football match is one played on a winter night, in the rain, in the cold."

[/quote]

I take it you weren''t one of those who got up early on boxind day and got half way to London then?,  ........brilliant laugh isn''t it !!

[/quote]

Don''t be so precious. It''s not fun, I know! Just as well it was''nt Sunderland like the other year. I did''nt articulate my post correctly, what I meant was, I love the uncertainty that postponed matches brings to the league positions, not the inconvenience to the supporters..

[quote user="Pigs in Space"]

[/quote]

Just like in a lot of South American countries, in Chile for example they have the Clausura and Apetura. It''s a split season, where at the end, the two winning teams go head to head to decide the overall champion. It has no merit as far as I can see other than generating more money - so it''ll only be a while before Platini adopts it!!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]And how would clubs survive, exactly, without any income for ten months?[/quote]They''d live off their fixed tangible assets, Graham. Our Holiday Inn, Delia''s, Yellows and the car park would see us alright.