Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Mid Winter Break

[quote user="zemas tendon"]I Think if your earning over 3 Thousand a week, you should be able to play every day of the week[/quote]Yep, fantastic logic there. The more money you earn, the less your body feels the effects of fatigue, and when you pass a certain financial threshold, you become a robot.Brilliant.

[quote user="pete"]What month will it be 2010 Dec, 2009 Feb or will it be flexible?[/quote]

Exactly why a winter break wont work, what happens if they shut down for a month in December, then the cold snap hits in January instead when the season resumes? Fixture backlog wouldn''t cover it

I think we could have a christmas break at least, extend season till end of May, nothing to stop the F A cup being played in May and Play offs in June, Better still do away with the playoffs, top three should go up by rights anyway   

The idea of a winter break is one that always comes up whenever there''s a cold snap, then no one gives it a second thought until the next; I''m certainly no fan of it.

I''m pretty sure that the winters of my youth saw most of the snow in January/February, and very rarely in December, so how do you decide when the break would be? - Our winter could hit in any of a 3-4 month window (or it is as likely to not hit at all). If you choose the wrong month (that long? more? less?) and the winter decides to come at a different time then you''re seriously stuffed and the seasons will be more merged into one than they are already. To take out the Christmas games also seems seriously harsh - these traditionally attract bigger gates and it is rare for games to be off.

If we''re going to go down the route of changing things we may as well just move the season to run from March to November, we''d be pretty safe then - though no doubt droughts would make pitches too hard...

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]The idea of a winter break is one that always comes up whenever there''s a cold snap, then no one gives it a second thought until the next; I''m certainly no fan of it. I''m pretty sure that the winters of my youth saw most of the snow in January/February, and very rarely in December, so how do you decide when the break would be? - Our winter could hit in any of a 3-4 month window (or it is as likely to not hit at all). If you choose the wrong month (that long? more? less?) and the winter decides to come at a different time then you''re seriously stuffed and the seasons will be more merged into one than they are already. To take out the Christmas games also seems seriously harsh - these traditionally attract bigger gates and it is rare for games to be off. If we''re going to go down the route of changing things we may as well just move the season to run from March to November, we''d be pretty safe then - though no doubt droughts would make pitches too hard...[/quote]

I don''t think we need to concern ourselfs with the threat of droughts in this country, as one thing we are sure of in England is to get a few good soakings, and clubs could install its own water storage for the sprinlkers, rather like  the same thing at my pony rescue.fill the tanks and save money

We don''t have cold snaps like this very often so a mid winter break is not needed!

Anyway with 46 League games and the amount of games squeezed in around this time if their was a mid season break we''d be starting in July and possibly finishing in June both of which aren''t "proper" football months!

Winter time is when football feels most real, not the summer!

I think this is only on everybody''s lips because of the WC 2022. Bearing in mind that it''s 12 years time and the average life expectancy is 79, imo anybody 67 and over shouldn''t really have an opinion on it as by the time the WC 2022 rolls around they''ll be statistically dead.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]I think this is only on everybody''s lips because of the WC 2022.
Bearing in mind that it''s 12 years time and the average life expectancy is 79, imo anybody 67 and over shouldn''t really have an opinion on it as by the time the WC 2022 rolls around they''ll be statistically dead.
[/quote]

Nice of you to point that out, so Blatter could be flatter as well

I have to agree with the main points of this thread. There is no way we can predict when the cold weather will hit. In my short 28 years only the last 2 years and once when I was at primary school has snow stopped anything. I''m sure we just used to get on with it!

On the whole Christmas schedule thing. As a fan I love it. I don''t get this whole fatigue thing. These are professional athletes after all. I''m pretty certain I remember stories of the ''good old days'' where they used to play 2 days running.

Yeah back in the day teams played each other on Xmas day and Boxing day I recall!

Yes its a lot of games but that is there job afterall and I''m sure they do less training because of playing more games so it shouldn''t really be a problem!

Who was the 1920''s Norwich striker who lived at Sheringham and legend has it used to walk home if he thought his performance wasn''t good enough? - Was it Percy Varco, I''m not sure?????

people talk about Fatigue... teams play less games in December then they do in April or August.... no fatigue issue in december i don''t think.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Yeah back in the day teams played each other on Xmas day and Boxing day I recall!

Yes its a lot of games but that is there job afterall and I''m sure they do less training because of playing more games so it shouldn''t really be a problem!

Who was the 1920''s Norwich striker who lived at Sheringham and legend has it used to walk home if he thought his performance wasn''t good enough? - Was it Percy Varco, I''m not sure?????

[/quote]

Joe Hannah

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

Joe Hannah

[/quote]His Wiki page is ******** up