Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Sheff Utd

After all the cold weather it was nice to stroll up to CR without the threat of ice and snow. The ground looked in perfect nick as City kicked off towards the River End but a very strange formation. Ward was a notable absentee but it seemed strange that Lambert went a back three with Martin in the middle and Nelson and Askou, right and left.City opened up well and Holts early cross was deflected onto the woodwork before being cleared but it was one bright point of the first ten minutes. Blades were slow to get going but gave City a warning when Yeates went close in the 12th minute. City were trying to build from the back but most of our passes were in our own half and there was far too much in the way of sideways stuff. Askou gave away a free kick on 16 minutes and Andy Reid curled in a beauty for the opener. City''s reply was instant as the Admiral got on the end of a Fox freekick to nod in the leveller.It should have been the signal for City to get going but the players seemed as confused by the formation as I did and it was again no surprise as Yeates was given too much time in the box and duly restored Blades lead. Things didn''t improve and City were twice lucky to get away with errors as first Evans got clear after a poor clearance only to be denied by Martins tackle and then Nelson appeared to have tugged Evans in the box only for the foul to go the other way. At half time I was praying for Wes and a flat back four but would PL see it that way.My prayers were answered in full and City at last began to compete in midfield. Fox departed and MacNamee came on as PL went for it.It took a while but eventually we got a bit of pressure and as Holt bulldozed into the box he was blatently flattened. Sheffield didn''t like it but Wes duly oblidged with a low shot to the keepers right after prolonged protests. It was now end to end as both teams went close. Evans hit the side netting and Chris Martin was denied by a fine save. With 6 minutes left Smith passed to Martin in the box and his quick return was handled by Bartley and Wes stepped up to despatch a fine low shot this time to the keepers left.It was all hands to the pump now as Blades went long and high but Nelson was a rock in the City rearguard. On 89 minutes Macnamee departed and was replaced by the ghost of Christmas Past. It was nice to see that Mr Whitbread really exists.As the dregs of 4 minutes added ticked away tempers bolied over and Quin was shown a red. There was still time for Ruddy to produce a match winning save from Evans and as the ball was scrambled clear to Holt on the left, the big man made tracks for goal, drew the keeper and presented the galloping Wes with his hat trick.What a game, what a manager. It was all up at halftime but somehow we got 3 points when none looked possible. Wes MOM, Holt and Nelson close runners up.

Thanks for the report as always Ricardo, I always look forward to it.Here in Tennessee, I was on the edge of my seat, and if i was there at the ground watching it, I would prob had a heart attack. As me hearts not that good now.Well done for getting the report up so quick.Can I take time to wish you and yours a very happy new year, and keep the reports coming ;)

I wouldn''t say it was a blatent fould on Holt in the box.

Was in the Snake Pit today and it was pretty much right in front of me.

It was just very clever play. Holt cut away from the player enough to get through, there was contact and Holt made the most of it. To me it looked like he played for it and some you get some you don''t but infront of a wall of noise like that a ref is going to find it hard to deny it.

The other penalty was a letter-of-the-law type decision. An attempt at a one two between Smith and C.Martin in which the return ball was flicked struck an arm on the way through, it didn''t look intentional but it did block the ball from getting to Smith and a sure goal scoring oppertunity.

I would say we defenitely deserved to win as although they went in 2-1 up at half time it was more down to us not playing well than them bettering us. The free kick was nice but probably shouldn''t have been a free kick - a few of those today really.

Cant say I agree that we really deserved it. Apart from the penalties we created very little, Simonsen was not exactly over worked today. However Sheffield United also didnt create much and to be fair got what they deserved for timewasting from well insdie the first half.

[quote user="chicken"]I wouldn''t say it was a blatent fould on Holt in the box.

Was in the Snake Pit today and it was pretty much right in front of me.

It was just very clever play. Holt cut away from the player enough to get through, there was contact and Holt made the most of it. To me it looked like he played for it and some you get some you don''t but infront of a wall of noise like that a ref is going to find it hard to deny it. [/quote]From my view, high up in the River End, it appeared that Holt got a shove in the back as he went through. I haven''t seen it from any other angles but it looked nailed on from where I was sitting. Then again, Nelson''s foull on Evans looked equally nailed on so I guess you could say we had the rub of the green for once.Blades fans probably feel hard done by but in truth Ruddy only had one save to make in the second half. The back 3 experiment clearly did not work and Lambert had the sense not to persevere with it.