Sign in to follow this  
Jarroldstander

City were wrong to give the MOTM award to Hoolahan...

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Two penalties and a tap in doesn''t automatically get you man of the match!!

Here''s who I thought should have got it.....

http://nick-sportsjunkie.blogspot.com/2010/12/city-taking-michael-giving-man-of-match.html

I blog about Norwich City after every home game and the away games I go to. Any feedback or comments appreciated.

[/quote]totally agree...KNOWONE WHO SCORES A HATRICK DESERVES MOTM [:|][:|][:|] DOH!!!

Was Nelson really MOM?

He was good, i didn''t think he was that good.

Hoolahan was actually very good, not just the hat-trick, he was doing most of Lappins defending, coming back winning the ball and trying to start meaningful attacks.

I thought the match sponsors chose the MOTM award, not the club?

Obviously the dreadful first half was mostly down to the baffling formation we began with but the introduction of Hoolahan gave us a cutting edge and link between midfield and attack that just wasn''t there in the first half and he was involved in just about eveything good City produced in the 2nd period.

For me it was Holt, he kept us in the game, winning dubious penalty but for me it was his run from centre field to right back as cover for Martin who out of position that won me over. Then he gifts Hooly a tap in after more graft. True Grit. What a player.

HRH

The match sponsors do indeed choose who is awarded MOTM.Correct decision though, Wes scored two good penalties and showed great drive and determination to get on the end of Holt''s pass and tuck the ball in the corner, all while still carrying his shin pad I believe. But apart from these three goals he was our only attacking spark other than McNamee for a brief spell, deserved to win it for his part in turning the game on it''s head.Nelson MOTM? As solid as he usually is for us, gifted them their second goal. Didn''t do much else wrong mind, but not great.

Your argument would hold a lot more credence if you were correct about Nelson and his starting opportunities following the off season. We brought two defenders in over the summer, only one of these in his position, Ward. Nelson started the season as the No.1 defender alongside Ward, even captaining the first match.

It wasn’t until an injury he picked up in the final moments at home to Swansea that his chances were reduced, as we subsequently brought Barnett in for cover – someone who has improved the team, and as such, deserves a starting position.

If of course Nelson puts in two solid performances then maybe Barnett will find it hard to get back in the team. But I highly doubt there were many, if any, who thought he wouldn’t get a chance of playing. Duly, it is not a surprise that he has come in and done well, nor will it be if he does it again, as he has been a very dependable servant for this club.

Hoolahans hat trick prevented us from losing!

The 2 pressure cooker penalties were top drawer strikes and his third was all due to his desire to keep up with Holt attacking something many other players wouldn''t of done at that stage of the game!

In the 1st half apart from lofted punts aimed at the big players we didn''t have any attacking impetus at all but after Hoolahan came on that changed!

I think on the evidence I have provided above that its fair that Hoolahan match changing performance warrants MotM a award!

Wes''s hattrick might not have been the most impressive, but it was a hattrick. He also gave our front two more to work with and more confidence. He ran up and down that pitch all damn day winning tackles whenever possible and played some sublime balls out of the defence which led straight to an attack. If he was not the man of the match then no one on that pitch was!

i completley agree with Gareth, a hattrick is a hattrick and will always get you the mom. But it was what he added to the game, the spark to the attack, but also the defending as well and covering down the left.

It seemed to me that he was dertimed to make a point to PL, mainly that he should be in the team from the start.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Just what does Wes have to do to gain recognition from some supporters?[/quote]Lose a lot of his skill and replace it with "110%" running around a lot.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Just what does Wes have to do to gain recognition from some supporters?[/quote]Lose a lot of his skill and replace it with "110%" running around a lot.[/quote]

LOL .. quite ... we all know the key requirement is to get box to box ... put in crunching tackles ... and hoof the ball forward at every opportunity!

... lets have less of this taking people on ... being creative ... and (heaven forbid) passing sideways to a team-mate ... disgusting and ridiculous if you ask me!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Just what does Wes have to do to gain recognition from some supporters?[/quote]Lose a lot of his skill and replace it with "110%" running around a lot.[/quote]Well it was enough to get Holt a nomination for MoM from someone above...

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Just what does Wes have to do to gain recognition from some supporters?[/quote]Lose a lot of his skill and replace it with "110%" running around a lot.[/quote]Well it was enough to get Holt a nomination for MoM from someone above...[/quote]It won Lee Croft player of the season!

Football is much like politics though.  You can''t have these mavericks wanting to dictate the game their own way, they need to learn to act as part of a team.  It''s called the doctrine of Cabinet Responsibility.  Wes Hoolahan reminds me very much of Claire Short, whereas Lee Croft was more of a John Prescott kind of fellow, hard working but understood his role and worked within it.  I''d have to say I''d rather have Prescott in my side any day.

[quote user="Ed Miliband"]

Football is much like politics though.  You can''t have these mavericks wanting to dictate the game their own way, they need to learn to act as part of a team.  It''s called the doctrine of Cabinet Responsibility.  Wes Hoolahan reminds me very much of Claire Short, whereas Lee Croft was more of a John Prescott kind of fellow, hard working but understood his role and worked within it.  I''d have to say I''d rather have Prescott in my side any day.

[/quote]

I''ll have some of that medication, please.

Lee Croft was only like John Prescott in the belly department.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Just what does Wes have to do to gain recognition from some supporters?[/quote]Lose a lot of his skill and replace it with "110%" running around a lot.[/quote]Well it was enough to get Holt a nomination for MoM from someone above...[/quote]It won Lee Croft player of the season![/quote]That''s football fans for you.  I imagine we could have Messi in our side and some would label him a luxury.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Just what does Wes have to do to gain recognition from some supporters?[/quote]Lose a lot of his skill and replace it with "110%" running around a lot.[/quote]Well it was enough to get Holt a nomination for MoM from someone above...[/quote]It won Lee Croft player of the season![/quote]That''s football fans for you.  I imagine we could have Messi in our side and some would label him a luxury.[/quote]It frustrated me to no end the attitude some of our fans seem to have towards the idea of keeping possesion. It become blatently obvious that Franz Beckenbauer was right when he said all English fans wanted to see was lots of running, kick and rush and brainless footballers. Lambert comes in and trys to change the way in which football is viewed at this club (dominating posssesion until the final ball is obvious) and the fans hate it claiming it''s boring! no wonder the Germans keep on winning...