Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Simon 'Lacking'

Sorry, I mean Simon Lappin, undoubtably I can''t criticise his commitment, but poor today.

And what was his spat with the Jarrold Stand all about in the first half???

I don''t think with everyone fit, Lappin would get near the first eleven. But considering the injuries we have and that he plays in a position many would consider his third position (behind wide left and centre mid), I think Lappin does a very good job for us.

Out of position, in all fairness I think Laps is allowed to have the odd off game !The whole team was ''Lacking'' in the first 45 mins.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]I don''t think with everyone fit, Lappin would get near the first eleven. But considering the injuries we have and that he plays in a position many would consider his third position (behind wide left and centre mid), I think Lappin does a very good job for us.[/quote]

Totally agree, i for one am really glad he''s still a Norwich player. I wish people would stop knocking the squad players like Lappin and Nelson who do a decent job at backing up the first 11 and covering for injuries. For a third choice left back Lappin has done a great job there.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]I don''t think with everyone fit, Lappin would get near the first eleven. But considering the injuries we have and that he plays in a position many would consider his third position (behind wide left and centre mid), I think Lappin does a very good job for us.[/quote]

100% Agree.  There is no way that Lappin would get in the side ahead of Surman and Drury but he can play in several positions and he plays them all equally well.  He looks just as comfortable at left back as he does wide left and centre mid.  He is a very handy player to have and is not a bad player and gives 110% commitment every game so the OP needs to get off his back.  There were many players you could have a moan at today.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Wow are we back to knocking players because of their name ?[/quote]

don''t even get him started on ..ruddy liability, michael smelson, russell fartin , simeon slackc---  and  david  foxtrot oscar  [:D]

although he would be sitting on the bench if every1 was fit, i believe he''s been brilliant at left back considering all the injuries because of his crosses are first class and commitment is top notch.

I LOVE THE THE KING OF SPAIN

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Out of position, in all fairness I think Laps is allowed to have the odd off game !The whole team was ''Lacking'' in the first 45 mins.[/quote]

Very good points there, terrible first half, and not his best position, but defiantly was an off game for him.

He was very poor today. But we can''t overlook what that great job he''s done for us in general over the last couple of years when called upon, will always give his all wherever he''s asked to play. Definitely is no left back though.His suspension is probably for the best. Forces him to have a bit of a rest and with Drury back we won''t miss him.

Without Lappin we''d of been in a muddle since messrs Drury and Smith got injured!

Hes done really well considering hes more a midfielder than a leftback so shoudn''t be knocked!

The same as some numpties saying that Askou was c rap today - He wasn''t c rap he defended really well and one must consider his lack of games this season.

w can anyone criticise lappin? he has been mr consistency this season and EVERYBODY bar Holt was crap in the first half. what makes the guy even more impressive for me is the crap he endured under that idiot Roeder!!

How many players have played more games since Lambert came in? Holt...can''t think of any others. In that time Lambert has shown himself to be a good judge of a player, we have won promotion and are now at the top end of the Championship...I think Lambert knows him best and he considers him good enough to play.Would love to see him get a goal though, I really think he deserves one!

Christ i''ve really had enough of this.

If I had to pick over Lappin and Surman I''d pick Lappin everyday of the week. He''s never injured, is consistent with his performances, and let''s not forget HE''S PRIMARILY A LEFT WINGER, shows the most passion for the city cause I''ve seen in a yellow shirt (just look at his reaction when we concede compared to others around him, I''ve seen him go mental on numerous occasions after a goals gone in), he has the best left foot and cross of anyone at the club including Macca, gets stuck in works hard is no prima Donna like Surman.

Lappin is solid, dependable, consistent with performance and can play in 3 different positions, has never let us down and for me is decent in every game.

People should stop blaming him whe the team plays bad. Where the he''ll do you justify laying any blame at Lappins door yesterday? In the first half, Crofts, Fox, Holt and Martin were terrible yet Lappin gets the blame for it.

I''m sick of the likes of Surman and Whitbread flattering to deceive, give me the likes of Lappin all day long.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Christ i''ve really had enough of this.

If I had to pick over Lappin and Surman I''d pick Lappin everyday of the week. He''s never injured, is consistent with his performances, and let''s not forget HE''S PRIMARILY A LEFT WINGER, shows the most passion for the city cause I''ve seen in a yellow shirt (just look at his reaction when we concede compared to others around him, I''ve seen him go mental on numerous occasions after a goals gone in), he has the best left foot and cross of anyone at the club including Macca, gets stuck in works hard is no prima Donna like Surman.

Lappin is solid, dependable, consistent with performance and can play in 3 different positions, has never let us down and for me is decent in every game.

People should stop blaming him whe the team plays bad. Where the he''ll do you justify laying any blame at Lappins door yesterday? In the first half, Crofts, Fox, Holt and Martin were terrible yet Lappin gets the blame for it.

I''m sick of the likes of Surman and Whitbread flattering to deceive, give me the likes of Lappin all day long.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. Not to mention he celebrates every City goal as if it were his own. An absolute legend IMO.

Spot on Huckerbys boots!

Surman looks like he can be classy but even when he is playing (which isn''t a lot!) he looks lightweight and I''m beginning to wonder if we have signed a player whos not going to do much for us!

Its the same as some fans I heard yesterday giving more credit to Mr once a season Whitbread saying hes better than Nelson and Askou. He maybe if he wasn''t always injured and anyway Nelson and Askou defended well yesterday!

Nah, Askou was poor yesterday, far from his best performance in a City shirt. Give him a run of a few games and I think he''ll be a decent player for us, obviously if Barnett and the rest aren''t fit.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Christ i''ve really had enough of this. If I had to pick over Lappin and Surman I''d pick Lappin everyday of the week. He''s never injured, is consistent with his performances, and let''s not forget HE''S PRIMARILY A LEFT WINGER, shows the most passion for the city cause I''ve seen in a yellow shirt (just look at his reaction when we concede compared to others around him, I''ve seen him go mental on numerous occasions after a goals gone in), he has the best left foot and cross of anyone at the club including Macca, gets stuck in works hard is no prima Donna like Surman. Lappin is solid, dependable, consistent with performance and can play in 3 different positions, has never let us down and for me is decent in every game. People should stop blaming him whe the team plays bad. Where the he''ll do you justify laying any blame at Lappins door yesterday? In the first half, Crofts, Fox, Holt and Martin were terrible yet Lappin gets the blame for it. I''m sick of the likes of Surman and Whitbread flattering to deceive, give me the likes of Lappin all day long.[/quote]

Andrew Surman does not have a track record of being injured a lot like Whitbread has so to use that against him is a bit unfair in my opinion.  Also you are judging him on very few games.  He had a few at the start of the season when he was playing in a completely different team to what he is used to and when he came back from injury he only played about two games so you can''t really judge him on them.

Can you remember Surman playing for Southampton in the Championship?  He was first class and tore many defences to shreds.  Compare them both when they have played a sufficient amount of games each. 

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Christ i''ve really had enough of this. If I had to pick over Lappin and Surman I''d pick Lappin everyday of the week.[/quote]

I''d suggest that Surman''s not had enough time to show what he can do, and once he''s back fit and playing regularly you''ll see what the fuss is about.

Lappin was getting stick from the Jarrold stand for passing back to the defence (particularly Askou) he gestured to the Jarrold stand to the effect that the instructions he had been given were to do that, so  it was beyond his control.Been a good player for us since Lambert arrived, and very useful as a utility player willing to play anywhere if asked to.

I completely understand if he has been given instructions to consistently pass back - i don''t think he''s good enough to pass forward.Credit to him for sticking with the club when he could have left, and credit for his hard work, but until the recent injury pile up he''s been the weak link at LB in my opinion.I understand it''s not his position, and he''s done a better job than i think anyone else in the squad could have done there - but in reality he is not a starting eleven player for us.I have been frustrated at times with his reluctance to go forwards but that may well be what he''s told to do - look what happened when Nugent broke free and Lappin couldn''t cope.

I agree that with a fully fit squad, he would probably be on the bench but for people to criticise him is really rather harsh. Given what he was forced to endure under Roeder, the fact that he came back, knuckled down and became a player who now even has a song sung about him is testament to his determination and professionalism.

For that reason alone, I will always be a fan of Simon Lappin.

[quote user="canaryjock"]I agree that with a fully fit squad, he would probably be on the bench but for people to criticise him is really rather harsh. Given what he was forced to endure under Roeder, the fact that he came back, knuckled down and became a player who now even has a song sung about him is testament to his determination and professionalism.

For that reason alone, I will always be a fan of Simon Lappin.[/quote]Fair point, but just to play devil''s advocate - he was given a contract at NCFC where he was earning a very decent salary for a player of his gifts.  You could argue he was hanging around in the reserves just to sustain his level of income, knowing a move elsewhere would have seen him on less money.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Christ i''ve really had enough of this.

I''m sick of the likes of Surman and Whitbread flattering to deceive, give me the likes of Lappin all day long.[/quote]spot on mate, Lappin is one the best servents i seen for the club, not naturally the best player we have seen, but brilliant left foot i agree, he does get caught out sometimes at lb, but so does martin at rb and the majority of times thats because of the formation we play.It pises me off that people say surman should automatically be in the team ahead of him as-well, we are yet to see ANYTHING good from him, hes played couple games, done nothing yet everyone says he looks another class- its only cos he cost us quite a bit of money that everyone automatically loves him, most the people praising him on here im sure have never seen him play a good set of games (by that i mean more than a couple in a row) so they cant say hes better than lappindont get me wrong i hope surman could be class for us in the future but he has done nothing to deserve the praise he gets YET, unlike lappin, he deserves the praise for what hes given us over the years, and espically this year- he stayed at carrow rd when he wasnt getting played for over a year- that''s dedication and if people have to rip on him still you really are fickle fans

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Christ i''ve really had enough of this.

I''m sick of the likes of Surman and Whitbread flattering to deceive, give me the likes of Lappin all day long.[/quote]spot on mate, Lappin is one the best servents i seen for the club, not naturally the best player we have seen, but brilliant left foot i agree, he does get caught out sometimes at lb, but so does martin at rb and the majority of times thats because of the formation we play.It pises me off that people say surman should automatically be in the team ahead of him as-well, we are yet to see ANYTHING good from him, hes played couple games, done nothing yet everyone says he looks another class- its only cos he cost us quite a bit of money that everyone automatically loves him, most the people praising him on here im sure have never seen him play a good set of games (by that i mean more than a couple in a row) so they cant say hes better than lappindont get me wrong i hope surman could be class for us in the future but he has done nothing to deserve the praise he gets YET, unlike lappin, he deserves the praise for what hes given us over the years, and espically this year- he stayed at carrow rd when he wasnt getting played for over a year- that''s dedication and if people have to rip on him still you really are fickle fans[/quote]You obviously didn''t go to the Nottingham forest away game. Surman tore them apart and was amongst the best preformers on the pitch (this was also the best away performance I have ever seen Norwich have, and that icludes going to Derby for the 2-1 win and a 4-1 win last year)