Sign in to follow this  
CRAZY LEGS

aaron wilbraham

[quote user="John"]In all fairness Ricardo, all i gathered from that retort is that your word on any player prior to you having seen them isn''t worth acknowledging.I apologise if that sounds harsh, but could it now indicate that it''s best that you, and the rest of Lamberts critics in this deal, take a massive step back and let things play out, at the very least until after Saturday? Because this is exactly what i meant by ''needless''.[/quote]

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

Very unimpressed.

Thankyou and goodnight.[|-)]

[/quote]Even more unimpressed with your imput.Thankyou and goodnight indeed. Judging by that comment, it doesn''t seem like we''ll be missing you.

Wilbraham is a decent player, many will be surprised by his touch and vision. His work-rate is good. I can''t think of anyone better for the money; he''ll be a good squad player.Some of you don''t live in the real world.

[quote user="Campbell"]Wilbraham is a decent player, many will be surprised by his touch and vision. His work-rate is good. I can''t think of anyone better for the money; he''ll be a good squad player.

Some of you don''t live in the real world.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, Aaron!

Bit of a strange signing on the face of it, but it''s EXACTLY what we need.

We badly lack a big striker when Holt''s out, and Wilbraham offers that at a knock-down price.

He won''t be first-choice, but will ''do the job'' required and leave us money to strengthen elsewhere.

If we go up, he''ll probably be moved on, but then he''ll have done what was asked of him.

Good signing, even if it''s not ''stunning''.

Get a versatile defender and a winger in, and we''re away. Also, I expect a big signing (a 4th player) later in the window to really push on (if we''re still scrapping it out near the top)...

[quote user="John"][quote user="John"]In all fairness Ricardo, all i gathered from that retort is that your word on any player prior to you having seen them isn''t worth acknowledging.I apologise if that sounds harsh, but could it now indicate that it''s best that you, and the rest of Lamberts critics in this deal, take a massive step back and let things play out, at the very least until after Saturday? Because this is exactly what i meant by ''needless''.[/quote][/quote]Without being an MKD fan we only have his record and occasional views on TV to go by. Grant Holt came with a goalscoring record albeit in the lower leagues so the only question was, could he produce it at a higher level. Wilbrahams record is ordinary in the extreme and requires a leap of faith to be enthusiastic about his prospects.PL is the manager of this club and has been right more often than not. However that should not prevent those of us who were hoping for something better from expressing our views.I don''t know how many times I have to say that I hope to be proved wrong and wish the bloke well but I don''t think I am alone in feeling a trifle disappointed at this signing. Hopefully there is something more exciting waiting in the wings.

Here''s one of my favourite quotations: "The past does NOT equal the future" - Tony Robbins.

There are a lot of things that affect peak performance in any walk of life - and the above should have most of us saying ''Thank goodness for that!'' - especially when making our own New Year''s resolutions!

Future success is available to all of us...

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

Very unimpressed.

Thankyou and goodnight.[|-)]

[/quote]

Couldn''t you have put that on Bly''s "yawn" thread inchy? [;)]

I guess the problem here is our squad.

Whilst we are all happy with our current league position it doesn''t change the issue we have with our finances.

We need a squad and yet we also need to be careful with our money. I have to say that I am with Ricardo in terms of its not that impressive a signing but then the question is does it need to be. We need a player who is happy to challenge Holt for a first team place and who realises that this may be a tough task.

18months sees him through to the end of next season. There are two things about that, obviously he is 31 and he will be 32 then and I am guessing he would have been out of contract this summer. Also is there someone on Lamberts radar that is likely to become available in the summer.

The other thing is it also all comes down to who else Lambert brings in or lets go.

I have to say I will be mighterly disapointed if we loose Hoolahan but then maybe he wants to leave.

Looking at our squad at the moment we have:

GK: Ruddy, Rudd, Steer

RB: Martin

CB: Ward(injured), Barnett, Nelson, Askou(out of contract in the summer?), Whitbread

LB: Drury, S.Smith

RW: Lansbury(on Loan)

CM: Crofts, Fox, K.Smith, Hughes(injured), Gill(injured), Tudor-Jones

LW: MacNamee, Lappin, Surman(injured)

AM: Hoolahan

STR: Holt, Martin, Johnson, Jackson, Whilbraham, Cody(loaned out), Daley.

I know there are other youngsters in there but I think that is the extent of it at the moment unless I have stupidly missed someone out.

It wouldn''t surprise me to see us loose a centre back (Askou), a striker (Daley on loan, Johnson), and mayber a midfielder (Gill) to make room for other signings.

What happens with Lansbury will be interesting. Getting him in until the end of the season would be a big big signing for us.

The other perplexing thing is the midfielders. I still reserve judgment on Tudor-Jones 18months on from when he signed for us. But if rumours are to be believed and he has several admirers worthy of note there must still be something about him. Hughes and Gill could be more likely to move away?

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The wisdom or otherwise of this signing can only be judged at the end of January, when we see who else comes in (and in which positions) and how much they''ve cost. In other words what percentage of Lambert''s transfer window budget has gone on Wilbraham. Context in this case is everything.

[/quote]

[Y]
[/quote]

---

---

---

Some posters seem to be forgetting that we are already committed to spending several hundred thousand pounds out of whatever Lambert has been allocated on Barnett.

Wow, a lot of people on here seem seriously underwhelmed by this signing.There''s no way Wilbraham is a direct replacement for Holt. Clearly he''s here purely as back up for when Holt''s unavailable. He''s never set the world on fire as a player but in the Championship £100,000 is a small price to pay for an experienced striker of any level of ability. I too doubt he''ll score many goals but does that really matter if he makes himself a nuisance and holds the ball up for our other strikers ?There were more than a few moans and groans when Iwan Roberts and Dion Dublin signed for us and they didn''t disappoint. TrueWilbraham''s not in their class but I think the price paid represents a reasonable gamble and we should hold fire and see how it pans out before dismissing the deal as money down the pan. 

Rather under-whelmed by this transfer to be honest, I can see the logic but have to wonder what he will offer if we manage promotion... Will he be just another signing who plays a few games then is a bench warmer.....oli Johnson all over again

[quote user="lincoln canary"]This guy is a donkey! His goalscoring record is crap too! Is this the sort of signing that is classed as going for it?! Wilbraham must think all his birthdays and christmas have come at once. This is a very poor signing. Does lambert realise when signing a striker the aim is for them to score goals? Oli Johnson now Wilbraham i guess spotting talent in this particular area is not Lamberts strong point.[/quote]

I was wondering when we were going to receive the benefit of your expert opinion. On how many occasions have you actually seen him play? On balance, I think I just prefer our Manager''s opinion and judgment to yours.

Quick Question to all you moaners of this signing...How does Norwich Play when the Big Man Holt is missing from suspension or anything like that??? Answer. They suck. We always know that Holty gets his 5 yellows and sometimes gets his Red and in those games where he is not playing we are terrible. Well for 100k they got a replacement for those few games. He will never be a every game player so why pay big money for an "extra" piece to the puzzle. Save the money on a true key signing that will start every game. Good Job Lambert and Co for getting back up for the few games Holty is not playing.

We have to be realistic, he''s a backup striker, there''s not many target men about especially cheap ones that are going to be prepared to be a reserve. He''s also experienced so hopefully he wont have the up and downs performance wise of a youngster. We all wanted a target man who would back up Holt, who did we think we were going to get Peter Crouch? I''m actualy pleased as i would guess this means Holt is staying put.

Welcome to the very man who can...........Aaron Wilbraham, hugs and kisses, merry new year, never mind the danger and all that jazz.

At the end of the day, I''d much rather have a grafter like Wilbraham than someone who couldn''t care less like Sibierski, Mooney, Gow, etc...

[quote user="Gazza"]

The fact of the matter is if we want to improve as a club we need 4 good striking options and Wilbrahams record suggests he is not that player, look at Hull for example who have just signed Aaron McLean from Peterborough who has bagged 14 goals this year compared to our new signings 3 (yes THREE!) plus also are on the verge of signing Matty Fryatt who is a proven championship striker from Leicester.

Lets hope our two other signings are far superior in stature & quality to this one or perhaps that "little ole Norwich" still applies.... 

[/quote]Not exactly comparable. Hull are sitting in 15th with a truely awful goalscoring record (23 all season) so need to buy a whole new strike force. We are sitting in 5th having scored 39. If we buy Fryatt and McLean who gets dropped?

Dons fan''s view (courtesy carrowroad.net):

"We asked our friends over at a MK Dons some

questions on new signing Aaron Wilbraham, as they seen the most of him

in the last few seasons:  

What Do You Think Are His strengths: 
He''s

got good control for a big chap and reads the game well. He has served

us well over the last five years. We''ve called on him to play many roles

including in midfield, where most would say he could well end up in

final days and even on one memorable night he played the second half in

goal against Bradford. 
What Do Think Are His Weaknesses: 
In

the last two seasons he''s become a bit of a moaner at refs to the point

of being ridiculous and tends to sit on his arse a bit, he has of late

been careless with his elbows, not dirty in any way shape or form, just

annoyingly careless. I''m putting that down to frustration of him doing

his job and others failing to do theirs, read whats going on and support

him. 
What Type of Player Is He:
I

like to see the reaction of our opponents supporters to our players.

What was your reaction to him at CR last season ? He was everywhere, he

put himself about and got to your players. OK he went a bit too far and

got sent off but he''d been a right pain the arse not letting your

defence have time or settle playing up front on his own for the majority

of the time.
What Is Your Personal Opinion;
Gonner

miss Albie. He''d be welcome back any time and really hope he can do a

job for you, its hard to believe he''s gone and of all places to you and

the fact that he''s close to having a crack in the Premiership. Fair play

to him and you. Good Luck to you.
How do you think he will fare stepping up a level ?
Aaron

has enough about him to get by. He helped us beat several Championship

clubs over the last few years, including you and the Blue Mob in the

Carling Cup. He''ll enjoy the free flowing style you play and the time

he''ll get on the ball. I look forward to monitoring his progress.
Franco We would like to thank Franco for his time and honest assessment and wish Him and his team a very Happy and Successful New Year."
We''ll find out tomorrow!

That sounds quite like Grant Holt, I don''t he''s anywhere near as much of a goal threat as Holty but he certainly seems to be a clever hold up player who will bring others into the game.

When Holt is missing we certainly don''t get the best from Martin, Jackson, Hoolahan etc so hopefully Wilbraham will at least bring them into games.

You are all talking about the player he is, not the player he can be, with our coaches he will get better. A good signing i think for city.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Gazza"]

The fact of the matter is if we want to improve as a club we need 4 good striking options and Wilbrahams record suggests he is not that player, look at Hull for example who have just signed Aaron McLean from Peterborough who has bagged 14 goals this year compared to our new signings 3 (yes THREE!) plus also are on the verge of signing Matty Fryatt who is a proven championship striker from Leicester.

Lets hope our two other signings are far superior in stature & quality to this one or perhaps that "little ole Norwich" still applies.... 

[/quote]
Not exactly comparable. Hull are sitting in 15th with a truely awful goalscoring record (23 all season) so need to buy a whole new strike force. We are sitting in 5th having scored 39. If we buy Fryatt and McLean who gets dropped?
[/quote]

Hull have also paid over £1million each for Mclean and Fryatt, as for being championship proven neither has set the world alight in this league Fryatt scoring about 13 each last season and Mclean less i think, I''d have been gutted if we''d wasted £1million on either player. Only for them to do pretty much what we can expect of Martin or Jackson over the course of a season. 

I like the idea of McNamee starting on wing and getting crosses in, taking man on etc. I thought he looked really dangerous when he played the first half against Reading and then Holt got sent off and his game had to change unfortunately. I think he''d step up to it if he started and it''s better than bringing him on for the last 20mins when we''re 1 or 2 behind and chasing the game. Him and Wes in the lineup would really make things more potent up the top end with Holt and Wilbrahams feeding off their play. Hopefully Drury at LB to shore things up at back and hopefully get another clean sheet against them.