Sign in to follow this  
CRAZY LEGS

aaron wilbraham

[quote user="Notts Canary"]I wonder though, this purchase strikes me as a little odd, I don''t really see why we need him. We don''t have too much trouble scoring with Martin, Holt and Hoolahan, plus we have plenty of backup strikers. So I''m leaning towards that this is not a cover purchase, but a replacement purchase and that leads me to think who might be most likely to leave.Otherwise personally I would prefer the money spent elsewhere such as our defence.[/quote]replacement striker for 100k, are u joking, hes back up for sure

An astute and excellent signing. His main role will be to sit on the bench and that means either a youngster or an older professional. Wilbraham is a Holt type player and jnows how to rough up defenders just as holty does. He will be happy to be a bench warmer knowing that he''s likely to get plenty odf cameo appearances towards the end of games. His record of a goal evry 3-4 games is not a disaster either for this type of supporting role. Of course, the moaning minnies will go on about lower league player yackety-yack just like the other failures we''ve signed such asn Holt, Crofts, and Nelson. Lambert hasn''t got a clue compared to these pundits. 

I reckon this is a pretty shrewd signing. No point going out and spending 500k + on backup for Grant. Got a decent scoring record in a very average MK Dons team, and will do a job. Hassle defenders when Holt''s injured/suspended, score a few goals from set pieces and open play. Good impact sub as well, means we can change our style if needs be, and go more direct. As for the rush in for Saturday, why not? I mean, else we''d just have someone like OTJ on the bench, who wont do anything. He wouldn''t have been playing for MK Dons either, as he''d be registering with us

No chance is this a replacement for Grant Holt. He clearly loves it here, is adored by the fans and is playing the football of his life. On top of that, I don''t want to tempt fate, but we have a real chance of going up! I don''t see why he''d want to move. Same goes for Wes, I mean, look at the way he celebrated on Tuesday with the fans. A massive smile on his face and that just doesn''t happen with someone who wants to move away.

Things are looking very bright.

I love you Lambert :D

Big lad, scores goals, threat in the air. Sounds perfect. When we are chasing a game, almost exactly what you want at the end of the pitch ala Brum against Man U and zigic. Not to mention that he could probably do a job for us defending last minute set pieces.... So for a 100k sounds like a snip.

Everyone seems to assume that just because he''s tall he must be purely a target man. Not necessarily. Oli Johnson is the same height as Holt (according to club profiles) but they are as different as chalk and cheese.

I''m sure Wilbraham can put himself about (as his disciplinary record suggests) and play the target man role if needed, but my impression is that he''s more of an allround forward than Holt, but lacking Martin''s ability to finish.

Strikes me he is experienced and perhaps has the knowhow that Oli, Simeon and even Chris Martin often lack. I wouldn''t be surprised if he initially replaces Chris M, who sems to need a spell on the bench from time to time to gee him up.

Also CM still has a court case to resolve, which I think comes up soon. Obviously we don''t know the ins and outs of that but I''ll bet Lambert and co have grilled him thoroughly about it and have some idea about how long it might last, and even the likely outcome. 

Been waiting many years for this! As one of the Wilbraham''s (and there not being many of us about) have followed his career a little. Last season when he came here me and my mum finally got the chance to meet him after the game, but before the game she tried to see him but the kitman said it wouldn''t be possible till afterwards. After the game he said that once he''d known of our whereabouts in the ground, he kinda knew he was gonna score, lets hope he has that impact playing for us!

Looks a good buy. All transfers are a risk; the best players in the world can get injured, fall out with the manager, fall out with their team mates, simply not settle. They''re human beings, with the same failings as the rest of us.However, obviously the more you pay the better the ability/attitude is likely to be. So, what are we buying this guy for? How much do you gamble?Well, I for one am convinced he''s Holt''s understudy, nothing more. As most of us have remarked, he''s the one player we don''t have backup for, & his contribution has been phenomenal. Now, Wilbraham may not be as good (I''m always astonished by how quickly fat boy can move those twinkle toes of his!), but he certainly seems to be in the same mould, so he''s the sort of player the rest of the team know how to play off.In a sense, I can''t see how this can go wrong - unless his attitude stinks, & I''m sure Lambert would have sussed that out straight away. Or, God forbid, he''s related to Peter Thorne. At worst, he''s a different option on the bench to unsettle a defence already battered by Grant.Yup, happy with this.

[quote user="Wooftie"]I reckon this is a pretty shrewd signing. No point going out and spending 500k + on backup for Grant. Got a decent scoring record in a very average MK Dons team, and will do a job. Hassle defenders when Holt''s injured/suspended, score a few goals from set pieces and open play. Good impact sub as well, means we can change our style if needs be, and go more direct. As for the rush in for Saturday, why not? I mean, else we''d just have someone like OTJ on the bench, who wont do anything. He wouldn''t have been playing for MK Dons either, as he''d be registering with us No chance is this a replacement for Grant Holt. He clearly loves it here, is adored by the fans and is playing the football of his life. On top of that, I don''t want to tempt fate, but we have a real chance of going up! I don''t see why he''d want to move. Same goes for Wes, I mean, look at the way he celebrated on Tuesday with the fans. A massive smile on his face and that just doesn''t happen with someone who wants to move away. Things are looking very bright. I love you Lambert :D[/quote]

Thankyou-all I wanted to say! Wilbraham is just the sort of player we need, he''s cover, he''s experienced, he''s been around the block a bit. As cover for Holt he is perfect, it also means Holt can be rested if neccessary, else come off in games for the same reason. We weren''t going to spend much on a player who is cover, neither was any of the names mentioned going to come here for the same reason, whilst some of the names suggested were a bit out of order!

I think that is PL''s intent in the striking department done and dusted, he now has time to move on and focus on the other targets, and these "huge" names that people are getting in a tizz about.

So welcome Aaron.

All this Holts understudy etc. The way you all talk it''s as if Holt has a guarenteed place in the team (which at the moment he does) so maybe he''s been bought in to keep up the level of performance that Holty''s currently producing. It wasn''t that long ago that this board was debating Holts inclusion in the first 11 due to his form.

Welcome Aaron

[quote user="Absent Friend"]
Strikes me he is experienced and perhaps has the knowhow that Oli, Simeon and even Chris Martin often lack. I wouldn''t be surprised if he initially replaces Chris M, who sems to need a spell on the bench from time to time to gee him up. 

[/quote]

That''s a good call. I wouldn''t be surprised to see him get a couple of games alongside Holt.

Jeeez, some of you should really give y'' heads a bang. He''s signed till 2012, so what does that suggest? A short term back-up for Holt, and gives us something totally different to what we have on the bench already. At £100,000, pretty astute business if you ask me.

57 goals in 211 appearances is also a fair return, albeit in a lower division.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

All this Holts understudy etc. The way you all talk it''s as if Holt has a guarenteed place in the team (which at the moment he does) so maybe he''s been bought in to keep up the level of performance that Holty''s currently producing. It wasn''t that long ago that this board was debating Holts inclusion in the first 11 due to his form.

Welcome Aaron

[/quote]I agree, but I still think his purpose is cover for Holt, but that may well have the effect of geeing Grant up - especially if he comes on & knocks goals in. It''s also quite possible he could form a devastating partnership with him. Who knows. We''ll have to wait & see.Also, all this talk about Wilbraham affecting Cody & Oli''s chances is wrong. they''re a completely different type of player. Whether they''ll ultimately succeed here or not is uncertain, but, of the two, my money''s on Cody.

can''t we then just keep loaning OJ and Cody out to clubs so they can then get valuable experience, after a few years we can then sell them for a greater sum.

He''s cover for The Horse. Pure and simple. Well worth 100k if it bags us a few more points to get us into the playoffs when Grant is suspended (he''ll hit 10 yellows before the end of the season).Nothing more to say. Don''t understand why there is any debate on this signing......

Let''s not forget, every player can be guilty of getting a bit too comfortable and feeling guaranteed of a starting place, and therefore losing a bit of an edge. May not happen, but it''s good just to keep Holt on his toes!

I can see him performing a similar role to that of Iwan in the 2004 season.

Obviously Iwan was an established member of our squad for years and had a great record in the 2nd tier but he was 35 at the start of that season and for me, well past his best but he was invaluable coming off of the bench to provide a threat in the box and to bring his know how to a tight game. I see Wilbraham as a similar sort of player, albeit a few years younger and being used in a similar role for the side.

When Holty is missing it will still be a blow to the side but Wilbraham will provide a lot of his attributes that simply aren''t possessed by Martin or Jackson and gives us another option.

Reminds me of when we signed Matty Svensson when we got promoted. Similar type of player too I believe. A welcome addition in my book.As for being a ''lower league'' striker, I''m not so sure, he''s played almost half of his career in the Championship, and had certainly done more up here than Grant Holt

For those panicking because we have got him in early can I remind you of previous transfer windows under Lambert? He does not hang around and I would not be surprised to see our other two targets onboard early next week.

[quote user="crafty canary"]An astute and excellent signing. His main role will be to sit on the bench and that means either a youngster or an older professional. Wilbraham is a Holt type player and jnows how to rough up defenders just as holty does. He will be happy to be a bench warmer knowing that he''s likely to get plenty odf cameo appearances towards the end of games. His record of a goal evry 3-4 games is not a disaster either for this type of supporting role. Of course, the moaning minnies will go on about lower league player yackety-yack just like the other failures we''ve signed such asn Holt, Crofts, and Nelson. Lambert hasn''t got a clue compared to these pundits. 
[/quote]

Agreed Crafty! An excellent signing. Lambert has done very well to get him. Reading the MKDons site he obviously is a huge influence both on and off the pitch. If he has to play instead of Holt or as a sub for Holt he can not only do his job holding the ball up but also he obviously has those leadership qualities that we miss when Holt is not on the field.

Read what they have to say about him here

[quote user="methcanary"][quote user="Kent Canary"]Looks like it will be a warm welcome for him before he has even kicked a ball...makes me chuckle ''what? no Peter Crouch / Berbatov...screw this board and their lack of ambition'' *shakes fist at computer*Good luck to him, hope he does the business when called upon.[/quote]

LMAO!!![/quote]Very good.

One thing that all fans must realise by now is that Lambert knows his tactics. When Holt is out it cripples us in more ways than one because as well as missing our top threat, we are very limited tactically. This signing solves that problem and i applaud it.

I also love signing players who see us as a massive challenge and step up- who knows, if Wilbraham gets his chance and sees it as his last chance at the big-time, he may just take it and do very well. Look at what some of the Blackpool players have achieved this season.

Good to see us making a move early for once. Must admit my first reaction was not exactly massive excitement but he is clearly cover for Holt and likely to be hungry to make an impact as he wont get another chance like this at his age. I will reserve judgement and wish him all the best for now!

not sure what to make of this signing. Although at 31 Wilbraham may well see this as his last chance of playing at a higher level so will no doubt be out to prove a point.never the best of strikers and a bit of a hot head though... still, Welcome Aaron and time will tell if you can cut it.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Good to see us making a move early for once. [/quote]

You have not been paying attention. Lambert always gets his players in as early as possible.

Love the pic on the Pinkun front page of Wilbraham getting a special Donkey Cuddle...

(Incidentally, weren''t we supposed to miss Doherty and Rusty this year and struggle without them...?)

Nice to see there''s finally something for similar reasons that Crafty Canary and I can agree on.

An additional thought I''m sure was in Lambert''s mind is that he needed such cover for next season in THIS division in the event that we don''t secure promotion. On the other hand, if good fortune does smile upon us and we do go up then this 100,000 investment will seem like small change in the grand scheme of things. 

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Love the pic on the Pinkun front page of Wilbraham getting a special Donkey Cuddle...

(Incidentally, weren''t we supposed to miss Doherty and Rusty this year and struggle without them...?)

[/quote]Who ?

I can actually see him starting with Holt agianst QPR. It''s going to be important not to give QPR too much time on the ball, Wilbraham and Holt will both be able to hold the ball up if we are under pressure, plus they''ll knock the QPR back 4 about a bit. Gives us another option plus a presence up top when Holty isn''t playing. Sound like a good piece of business to me and well done for another signing being tied up before the window opens!

Welcome Aaron and good luck!