Sign in to follow this  
CRAZY LEGS

aaron wilbraham

Surely if you are told the club will be going for it and the signings will be massive you expect a little bit more than a 31 year old from Mk Dons , if you raise the supporters expectations and then sign this type of player there will be plenty of people feeling let down .

Crikey people moaning about his ability and Lambert''s judgement already!

100k for a big lad to act as cover for Holt, decent signing imo. Can''t see him breaking into the first team but lets look back to previous games where Holt has been suspended and we struggled, how we would have wanted someone like Wilbraham to sit in for him.

For such little money, gotta be worth it.

Not sure about this one, unlike many of Lambert''s signings, Wilbraham IS someone that we know and have seen many times before, never struck me as being a threat. This reminds me of the time we brought Keith Scott as back up for Ashley Ward. Worth a punt at 100k I supposebut we could have got Clive Platt for that.

Bit more news from the official site: he''s registered to play against QPR as a loan player, until the official transfer gets finalised.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Crikey people moaning about his ability and Lambert''s judgement already! 100k for a big lad to act as cover for Holt, decent signing imo. Can''t see him breaking into the first team but lets look back to previous games where Holt has been suspended and we struggled, how we would have wanted someone like Wilbraham to sit in for him. For such little money, gotta be worth it.[/quote]

What he said...

We don''t need another striker to start in the first 11. Martin and Holt are plenty good enough - especially with the goal threat the midfield provides with Wes in it.

When Holt is injured/suspended we look a shadow of ourselves, because our tactic relies on a striker who can defend from the front, work the channels and hold the ball up. Wilbrahams won''t be as good as Holt, and won''t provide the goal threat Holt does, but if he can do the nitty-gritty well enough he''ll be a decent back-up and create space for players like Chrissy, Surman, Wes and Lansbury.

If Lambert has, say, 1-1.5m to spend, this is exactly the kind of signing I''d like to see, save the money for another position, preferably a centre-back and a winger.

If we''d signed a bigger name front man some would moan that Holts doing more than a good job so it''s not needed ?

So, if it''s true he could be good cover for Holt which might mean we have another 1 or 2 people coming in which might be a bigger signing in area''s thats really needed ?

We could say PL''s spending what money his got wisely in the area''s that need it the most ?

A manager spending money sensibly  * SHOCK*

Looks like it will be a warm welcome for him before he has even kicked a ball...makes me chuckle ''what? no Peter Crouch / Berbatov...screw this board and their lack of ambition'' *shakes fist at computer*Good luck to him, hope he does the business when called upon.

A lot of this is similar to the ''noise'' that occurred when we signed Matty Svennsen in the promotion year. My view is a great cover signing, who will no doubt nick a few key goals this season. Just needs to come off the bench v QPR and nick a last minute winner now......

I wonder though, this purchase strikes me as a little odd, I don''t really see why we need him. We don''t have too much trouble scoring with Martin, Holt and Hoolahan, plus we have plenty of backup strikers. So I''m leaning towards that this is not a cover purchase, but a replacement purchase and that leads me to think who might be most likely to leave.Otherwise personally I would prefer the money spent elsewhere such as our defence.

Do not like the urgency with which this deal is done, why not just sign ready for Middlesborough away.Is it just me who fears this signing was linked to a rumour that a deal for Holt to join Wigan since his family still at Carlisle and due to driving ban he is struggling to see them.Seems a strange signing just as bench warmer as some suggest would he come just on that basis

At last, cover for Holt is what we needed and thats what we''ve got in Wilbraham,no need to spend big,i believe in PL and trust he knows what he''s doing,wish fans would realise bashing players before the''ve even kicked a ball is daft,and off no help to any one!!!

In this day and age - even with the recession - £100k is actually a snip. You could get three and a half Zema Abbeys for that! Or six Simeon Jacksons. And 31 does not mean he''s past it; in fact the contrary - for the role he plays and what he''ll bring to the team, 31 is pretty much his prime.

He''ll be a squad player at best but will do a very good job when he''s called upon.

It''s not exactly the most exciting signing we''ve ever made but that''s now a massive tick against the box marked ''cover for Holt'' and Lambert can get on with strengthening the back four and maybe getting in a winger

This is a good signing. We needed someone as back up to Holt but would be prepared to sit on the subs bench and take his chance when he can.

He''s a big bloke with attitude (evil) and that I like. Makes up for the powder puff of Holt!!!

What a thought, there may be occasions when he plays along side Holt. Wam and Bam come to mind

[quote user="CJ"]Seems a strange signing just as bench warmer as some suggest would he come just on that basis[/quote]Considering his age and that things are going a bit stale at MK and this deal means moving a league up and a pay rise he may be happy to simply sit on the bench.

cant understand why people are moaning great back up signing scored 10 in 31 starts last year 17 in 31 year before and 10 in 28 year before that well done lambo for getting back up in.

[quote user="Notts Canary"]I wonder though, this purchase strikes me as a little odd, I don''t really see why we need him. We don''t have too much trouble scoring with Martin, Holt and Hoolahan, plus we have plenty of backup strikers. So I''m leaning towards that this is not a cover purchase, but a replacement purchase and that leads me to think who might be most likely to leave.

Otherwise personally I would prefer the money spent elsewhere such as our defence.
[/quote]

It''s not odd at all. He is clearly a back-up target-man for Holt for when he is injured or suspended.  A good signing IMO. I just hope that we hang on to Cody so that he can play alongside one of these big men with his pace and positional sense.

It''s cover for Grant Holt and if the fee is £100,000 then I would say it''s good value for money. Given our style of play, having no-one who plays in a similar style to Holt is a big risk.I welcome him to the club. I really wouldn''t expect big signings in January as I doubt we have a great deal of cash. It''s a wise signing by Paul Lambert.

[quote user="Kent Canary"]Looks like it will be a warm welcome for him before he has even kicked a ball...makes me chuckle ''what? no Peter Crouch / Berbatov...screw this board and their lack of ambition'' *shakes fist at computer*Good luck to him, hope he does the business when called upon.[/quote]

LMAO!!!

If he is just cover for Holt why the need to arrange a loan so he can be involved against Qpr ? seems a little strange and makes it seem we are desperate for him to be registered for Saturday . Cover or Grant Holts replacement  , as for people keep bigging up Chris Martin when did he last score ? strikers that fail to score are a waste of a position , we have Martin , Jackson and Johnson who fall into that category what we needed was a goalscorer to play alongside Holt .

Or it could be that Holt needs a little rest having put in some tireless performances this season? If you count last season, he''s not had much of a break at all.

He is not Holt''s replacement ffs!!! If we are selling Holt (which isn''t going to happen, at least not for less than 2 million) then why would we replace him with a 31 year old £100k striker?

We would spend a majority of the received transfer fee on a replacement! McNally said himself, any money made on players is for use on buying new players only!

Get a grip people, he is back up end of!

Welcome to the club! Score on Saturday to shut this lot up please :)

[quote user="Wxyz"]If he is just cover for Holt why the need to arrange a loan so he can be involved against Qpr ? seems a little strange and makes it seem we are desperate for him to be registered for Saturday . Cover or Grant Holts replacement  , as for people keep bigging up Chris Martin when did he last score ? strikers that fail to score are a waste of a position , we have Martin , Jackson and Johnson who fall into that category what we needed was a goalscorer to play alongside Holt .
[/quote]

I don''t think it''s strange that he is being brought in on loan for just the QPR game. This gives Lambert another option if things aren''t going well and having a big man on the bench to bring on would be a good idea if we find ourselves looking for a late goal to save the match. As for being a replacement for Holt, not a chance. I would be more worried if we signed Morrison tbh as that would mean holt is on his way as we would be replacing him. But spending 100k on a striker just suggests a back up for holt or a plan b if things are going wrong.

Right come on honestly firstly its 100,000 as many have mentioned its not bad for a player that is either cover for holty or someone who he plans on playing, secondly it does bring the concern of what lies in store the OJ and Cody whether they now have a place in the team Chris lakey made a perfectly good point the other day would city fans prefer a youngster to come in cost loads and needs nurturing  to make him a top striker or bring someone in with experience nows there job and how to do it well within a team. I have seen the figure of 1-1.5 million mentioned so if we go for 100,000 for wilbraham and Barnett must have cost us a bit so i can see there being not too much left over. Just another quick point everyone is on the assumption that PL is looking for a defender striker and midfielder well i can see the defender point clearly as there is no outright cover for Russell martin and Korey has filled in the past however midfield im not to sure i know were light on the ground at the minute but with the likes of Surman to come back im not to worried so maybe another striker is on the shopping list for PL hey we have seen stranger things happen at Norwich