Sign in to follow this  
zak123

Lansbury- why do people keep going on about him?

First off all please don''t take this as a thread of me trying to tell you that Lansbury is a bad player and that he shouldnt be playing at all, I think he is great.

Are people missing the fact that if we get him in a loan for the rest of the season, it doesn''t mean he is ours to keep. Yes great we get him until the end of the season, he provides that bit of extra class and we push the play-offs. Great, but you forget the team that does that will not be what you have going forward. Personally I think the extra experience Korey or Fox would get from playing out this season is worth not having Lansbury play.

Also to those who say "we can then sign him", lets be honest Arsenal would not let him go until 2012, so really having him on that basis is pointless as we do not have the sort of money to sway them!

It just seems very short sighted of any fan who immediately says "get him in until the end of the season".

Personally I would also pick the best starting XI with the squad we have available on the day. He was brought in because our midfield options were all very similar and I would always start him.

I''m not sure in the long run if Korey or Fox will be a starting XI player (assuming it will be a diamond of Crofts, Surman, ??? and Hoolahan), as I''m pretty sure we can expect someone of the Lansbury mould to be purchased this window or over the summer.

I take one bit of that back... maybe Smith could be a long serving player in CM, but still... the philosophy of always choose your best XI would include Lansbury, the lads pure class :)

Lansbury is one of FIFTEEN players that Arsenal have out on loan.

They are not out on loan for our benefit. They are being used by Arsenal to give them more experience, more exposure and more value. We, together with many other lower clubs, are being used by the system to increase value of the assets of the larger clubs and thus keep the lower clubs ''in their place''.

Make no mistake, Lansbury is a class player, but like so many English players he has been snapped up by one of the larger clubs and his development is being hampered by not playing regularly. A few matches with us will not be as many matches as he would have had he been permantly at many Championship or Premiership clubs. Who has played more first team games, Lansbury or Korey Smith?

In the past and the lower clubs benefitted by their assets being transferred to the ''better'' clubs for considerable transfer fees.

Nowadays the money has stopped going round as the richer clubs sign up all the promising youngsters, whether they want to play them or not, and let other clubs develop them.

Ban the loan system, introduce squad limitation and then the stranglehold of the top few clubs, that are mega-millionaire''s playthings, might change.

Squad size and the loan system are two separate issues. 

That large clubs can  "invest" in enormous youth programs in the hope of unearthing a gem does stifle competetive advantage for non elite clubs and I agree that quotas should be enforced - that is slowly starting to happen - unfortunately only on first team squads but its moving in the right direction.

However the loan system in itself is fine - its been around for aeons and functions well as long as a club does not use it as a long term solution for success.   We got it wrong under Roeder but with Worthy now Lambert we are using it well.   We have benefitted from loaning out the likes of Cody, OTJ, Adeyemi, Francomb this season alone.  

Looking at Lansbury directly Lambert thought he had solved the wide wide problem with a combination of McNamee, Korey & Fox,  however despite our "long term investments" in these permanent players noen have worked - through no fault of theirs or the clubs we are still lacking wide right.  Its not easy to buy mid season so Lansbury provides better quality cost effectively until we make another attempt to fill it permanently.   

Lansbury gives the team balance, quality, vision and pace lacking from the rest of the squad for that position.  His signing increases our chances of promotion,  which would mean we can sign a better quality of player for that position.  We may not be able to afford Lansbury but he buys us time to fill it properly, without rushing or paying over the odds and makes us a better team because the existing squad is not up to it.  whats not to like?   I dont see how us loaning Lansbury is not to our benefit - both immediately or long term

[quote user="zak123"]First off all please don''t take this as a thread of me trying to tell you that Lansbury is a bad player and that he shouldnt be playing at all, I think he is great.

Are people missing the fact that if we get him in a loan for the rest of the season, it doesn''t mean he is ours to keep. Yes great we get him until the end of the season, he provides that bit of extra class and we push the play-offs. Great, but you forget the team that does that will not be what you have going forward. Personally I think the extra experience Korey or Fox would get from playing out this season is worth not having Lansbury play.

Also to those who say "we can then sign him", lets be honest Arsenal would not let him go until 2012, so really having him on that basis is pointless as we do not have the sort of money to sway them!

It just seems very short sighted of any fan who immediately says "get him in until the end of the season".[/quote]Bang. Nail. Head.Ever heard of answering your own question?

[quote user="Adam NCFC"][quote user="zak123"]First off all please don''t take this as a thread of me trying to tell you that Lansbury is a bad player and that he shouldnt be playing at all, I think he is great.

It just seems very short sighted of any fan who immediately says "get him in until the end of the season".[/quote]Bang. Nail. Head.Ever heard of answering your own question?[/quote]Play-offs ?????Hells bells we are pushing for one of the top two not top 6 !!!!!!