Sign in to follow this  
Heresyourfathersgun

Whats the magic ingredient?

I''ve been involved as a coach in youth football from age 8 up to 16, and had varying degrees of success. I''ve had teams with talent but not enough winning attitude, and others where ability is outmatched by spirit.

You look at our squad and see a relatively ordinary collection of players - most of who have no real pedigree at a high level, but who have obviously gelled. Thats where the talent of the coaching staff obviously plays a part - how to get the most out of them.

What is it that Lambert/Culverhouse give thats makes players pull up trees for them? Why have we not heard one word of dissent from the squad when players get dropped?

When you look a megastar teams like Man City with players sulking everywhere, or for that matter, the lack of desire in some England players, what have we got that they can''t replicate? Holloway is doing something similar a Blackpool, but whats the ingredient called? Is it something you don''t find in a coaching manual?

The ingrediant is being happy, settled, and trusting your team mates and management staff, most of all they are a ''team'' aiming for the same goal and not just 11 players, to do well and aim for the top.  Basically they are all rowing in the same direction, each player is part of a machine, when all the parts are working well you get the best performance.

Passion, pride, no fear, dedication to the club, manager and fans, looking out for eachother, being non-selfish for the cause, the list is endless.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]As WAY says, everyone is in it as a team; like a jigsaw it doesn''t work if one piece is missing.

Lambert/Culverhouse clearly have superb communication skills to create this atmosphere.
[/quote]

Indeed, the players clearly like Lambert and Cully, and that can get you a long way.  Lose the dressing room and you''ve lost your job

Dunno the answer to your question but maybe another way of looking at is it to possibly look at what some are doing wrong . Look a few miles down the road at what Uncle Keane has managed.  HAd a good bit of money , bought in some fairly expensive players and it all goes to pete tong.

The trouble i see with expensive players is their heads get bigger as their value goes up and you end up with 11 big heads running around playing for themselves. That attitude gets less as the value of the player goes down. A squad of reasonable players, well managed by a boss that proves that his idea''s work will always be better than expensive buys.

You need a very very good manager to look after very expensive players. Fergy has always made sure his players know that no one is bigger than Man U .

I think we''re in the same, if not better position than when we had Worthy and co in charge back in 2004 .

It''s the "Jock" factor. Scots say what they mean and mean what they say. I think Lambo''s team are in the same position as Everton and Man Utd players, where they slightly fear letting the fiery Scot down.

The ''magic ingredient'' certainly doesn''t come out of a coaching manual.

Like in all walks of life, the main difference in a competitive world is man management skills and Lambert obviously has it in abundance and he didn''t get that out of a manual either. You cannot teach people these skills it''s just a natural talent.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]The ''magic ingredient'' certainly doesn''t come out of a coaching manual.

Like in all walks of life, the main difference in a competitive world is man management skills and Lambert obviously has it in abundance and he didn''t get that out of a manual either. You cannot teach people these skills it''s just a natural talent.[/quote]

QFT. Its much easier to say what he does not do - we have all been managed by poor people managers at some stage - some of us have been lucky enough to seen the difference a truly great one can bring beyond those that get the task done.

Most football "managers" are simply coaches.

What Lambert does is CREATE a team from the people he employees instil, pride, conviction and clarity of purpose in what they want to achieve.

Lambert is a manager.

Winning breeds confidence. I am sure the players who won the league last season were still in the winning spirit going into this season, and our new players will feed off this too.

Lets not forget Lambert played in Germany and did his coaching there, there is clearly a system to which the players have to work and support, if there is a weak point they take responsibility and deal with it. Grant Holt is a good example of this covering in defense when full back has gone on a run. Defend as a team, attack as a team.

HRH

You look at Man U under Ferguson, and they seem unbeatable. So hard to score against, and so hard to keep out. I see a lot of this under Lambert. Our players rarely switch off (set pieces aside) physically and perhaps even more importantly mentally. We''re always willing to change things up, play different styles, and our players move around the pitch brilliantly. Teams never get an easy run at our defence, and likewise the goalies who play us are gonna have warm hands. Whether this is because Lambert trains our team, pushing them hard or whether its because he shows the players how the game is going to be played in their mind, I don''t know. What I do know, is that we do it as a team, and now people fear playing us, and our players know it, they love it, and it''s great to see.

Paul Lambert is the magic ingredient.[IMG]http://www.animated-gifs.eu/leisure-circus-magicians-1/0003.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Cambridge yellow"]

Dunno the answer to your question...[/quote]

That''s it. The only sensible answer to the OP''s question, because unless you''re part of the NCFC playing set up no one has got a clue.