Sign in to follow this  
jed exodous

Going for it...

So, just listening to Canary Call and hearing a caller asking if we''re gonna go for it, what realistically do we need to go for it?  I cant see too many positions where we can realistically improve the squad.  We''ve got 3 very good centre backs available now against Boro, and Ward will be back in a few weeks and has proved himself.  RB is an area where we need a back-up, but perhaps thats why Francombes out getting experience.  Lb we Drury, Smith and Lappin whos proved he can do a job.  Midfield, Crofts, Fox, Smith, Hoolahan, Surman, Macca, Lansbury, Gill, Hughes, OTJ, cant really see too many problems with that line up, and up top, Holt, Willy, Martin, Oli and Jacko, again, we dont need to add much to this squad.

In my eyes, its almost as if we went for it in the summer.  We spent a couple of mil and got some excellent additions to the squad.  People talking now about going for it, who do you realistically want?  Lansbury for the season would be good, but there really are very few players who are gonna cost less than 7 figures, who will add something to the squad.  Its good to see us signing players, but i dont want us to spend money just for the sake of it.  I know nothing of the clubs finances, but i cant see that we can go out and get players like Bellamy, Tarabt, Boothroyd, Graham, Becchio, Snodgrass, Brittain...  Also i wouldn''t want Michael Owen or Woodgate, both too injury prone for what they''d give to the club. 

So what are your views on going for it?  Who reallistically would you like to sign?  Lower league players with something to prove or experience heads who perhaps haven''t played very often?

There will always be people demanding the club go out and spend big money on players but we can''t go out and spend money we haven''t got.

As you say, Lambert has been backed as far as the club can stretch; Ruddy, Ward, Barnett, Smith, Fox, Crofts, Jackson, Wilbraham and Surman must have cost the club a significant amount in not only transfer fees but wages as well.

How much money did we really bring in over the summer other than the sale of Michael Spillane? Not a lot although wages were freed up with Doc, Rusty, McVeigh and Cureton leaving.

The revenue has only increased by a couple of million and the players above will have accounted for that at the very least.

not because he got 3 today...but i''d have jason puncheon in a shot. he can change a game, and you cant have enough of them in a team.

...especially if we could nick him off millwall before he signs 100% from so''ton.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]We need to get Hoolahan signed on, That would be the best business this January.[/quote]

....good call LC.

Yeah, would be good to get Wes tied down for 2 or 3 more years, he seems to have toughend himself up a bit now.  Hes no Vinnie Jones, but at least hes sticking his foot in now as well as all the tricks and skills.

Just heard another guy on the radio talking about going for it, can someone tell me what would be classed as going for it?  We already are...

[quote user="jed exodous"]

Yeah, would be good to get Wes tied down for 2 or 3 more years, he seems to have toughend himself up a bit now.  Hes no Vinnie Jones, but at least hes sticking his foot in now as well as all the tricks and skills.

Just heard another guy on the radio talking about going for it, can someone tell me what would be classed as going for it?  We already are...

[/quote]

Spending 1.5million on Danny Graham, that would be going for it.

As much as I would love us to "go for it" but we have to be realistic - we just dont have the money

I know that with 2 or 3 real quality signings we have a real chance of winning this league BUT sadly we dont have the £2/3m + that would cost

We have to just build on the team spirit and fight which just might be enough

You are most certainly right Jed. Unfortunately the perspective of any fan, no matter how sound of mind or intelligent, can have their views distorted at the worst of times, and unfortunately other posters on a craze trip can collectively exacerbate the problem, culminating into some posts that inevitably become absurd in hindsight.We are not awash with cash by any stretch, and your analysis of our summer transfers and our current finances is spot on.Extend Hoolahans contract, and i''ll be more than content with this months permanent transfer dealings. Perhaps a couple of loans, like Stephen Elliott and Michael Rose last season, later on to get us over the finish line could come in, especially if the this ridiculous run of injuries continues.But otherwise we should focus on what we''ve got, and after the past year, they''ve shown that they deserve as much from us.

...just heard from a millwall pal that morrison has been sold to fulham for 3m (although jackets has denied it)...so millwall aint "going for it" if that is true.

decent player but one lazy bas**ad!

3mil!!!! thats a lot of money for him, if thats the type of market we''re in, shirley we''re not in any rush to get players in, also Willy perhaps could be a bargain at 100k...

[quote user="rock bus"]As much as I would love us to "go for it" but we have to be realistic - we just dont have the money I know that with 2 or 3 real quality signings we have a real chance of winning this league BUT sadly we dont have the £2/3m + that would cost We have to just build on the team spirit and fight which just might be enough[/quote] right on. any player we get in would only be as back up to our first team squad. to get a player to oust one of the squad  to the bench would cost considerably more than we should be willing to pay.  the main worry must be the lack of backup for r.martin ( who is getting better and better with every game ) and maybe a midfield enforcer.

I think the only signing that would really help in the short term would be a ''superstar'' (maybe just Lansbury for the rest of the season)....

And if a youngster or two is available (Preferably ones who can step up to the Premiership next season :P )

Were going up :D

how about carlos vela for the season and someone else who could do a job at the base of the diamond, that would be going for it

our squad is full of good honest players. Anyone new should provide a touch of class - like lansbury

As long as they want to perform I dont care whether they are from the lower leagues (like Drury, McKenzie) or with more experience (Hux, Dion, Svennson) is the team work and ability we need.

I do err on the side of a little more experience though...

Right back cover would be good as would Lansbury for the season.  If you look at our bench today though we had Gill and Tudor-Jones on there so another midfielder with more quality than them would be good as well.