Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

Who to play at centre back for Boro game?

After Whitbread and Nelson both put in very good performances today im wondering who do we play for the Boro game? I think it would be harsh to drop any of them. But you do wonder whether Whitbread could really handle two games in 3 days as he has barely played over the last year.Lets face it Ward and Barnett have faced very little competition so far this season but Nelson has certainly proved he can do a job and fingers crossed if Whitbread can stay fit he will certainly be knocking on the door. I think Ward may face a battle to get back into the side when he returns from his injury

This would be my formation v Middlesbrough:

Ruddy

R.Martin Barnett Whitbread Drury

Crofts

Smith/(Lansbury if fit) Hoolahan

C. Martin

Holt Wilbraham

I was very impressed with how we attacked yesterday. We had several great chances that should have seen us giving QPR a right pasting. And that''s quite an achievement against the league''s tightest defence.

I''d keep Whitbread and drop Nelson mainly because I think Zak is a more classy defender. I see him being genuine competition for Ward, who will not necessarily walk straight back in when he returns from injury.

Another point is that Crofts played a noticably better game at the base of the diamond, where all his best performances have come from. We kept a clean sheet yesterday partly due to the fact that Crofts played infront of the back two and Fox didn''t.

Wilbraham played great yesterday. What a bargain he will turn out to be! Having someone to flick the ball on to Holt now gives our forward line so many options, and with Chrissy Martin, our best striker with the ball at his feet, following up any knock-downs, we could see our team banging them in for fun

Barnett is pretty much guaranteed a place given he is one of the best defenders to put on a Norwich shirt in the past 10 years. All of them then have claims:

Ward- built up a partnership with Barnett over about 2 months around November time, where they both looked solid at the back. However could be seen that he was the reason for the 10 game no-clean sheet streak.

Nelson- has played very well over the past three weeks, looking very strong and comfortable. However there are still questions about in a 1 on 1 situation if he is fast enough.

Whitbread- claimed to be the "CB for years to come" before all of his injuries, so Lambert could go with him. However for someone who has had 12 months on the sideline, 2 games in 3 days, especially with the intensity of yesterdays game, might be a bit much.

In the short term, I can see Ward or Nelson getting the job with Barnett, with Lambert maybe even switching it about to see which one works best with Barnett. Then in the long term, once Whitbread has a few sub appearances and is back to full match fitness, he will then start with Barnett.

Askou is out of the question, which is a shame, but I think its the truth.

What a lovely situation we have at the moment, 5 centre halves, all of whom can do a job for us. All too often in seasons past have we had to dip into the loan market or play midfielders and full backs out of position. We have real strength in depth at the moment, underlined by our result yesterday

Well i think its got to be nelson and barnett at the back for the boro game.

Simply because we can''t risk getting whitbread injured again by playing him twice in 3 days and nelson deserves to keep his place after proving that he can perform at this level.

The three in contention are clearly Barnett, Whitbread and Nelson.

In terms of ability Whitbread could be the best - he wouldn''t be playing for us but for a series of injuries.

Nelson has improved out of all recognition.

Barnett is a peresence, and is quick.

A difficult decision. If Whitbread can play another game so soon I would go with him, and I think that Nelson deserves another outing.

It leaves Barnett fit and willing. Perhaps a game on the bench could help him to control his temper in future.

"control his temper in the future"

Is that a joke? He lightly threw the ball at a ref at the end of a close game when we gave away a penalty and finished off the game.

He isn''t Danny Mills.