Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Wilbraham[Y]

I havn''t seen a post about his performance today so I thought I would start one.

IMO I thought he done really well.  He only joined two days ago and would have had hardly any time to get used to how we play or anything.  He one a lot in the air and gave QPR something to think about a lot of the time.  He didn''t look that great on the ball and got the ball stuck under his feet a few times when he could have set himself for a shot.  We know he isn''t going to have bundles of quality but I thought he looked half decent.  Overall though I thought he done very well and think once he settles in properly he will be a lot better signing than a lot of us think.

Your thoughts?

I would not say he is the new Norwich hero. However he did his job perfectly, I am interested in seeing him against Cardiff when he will have had a bit more time to settle down!

I thought he did ok actually. He did win some flick ons and generally used his size to make things difficult for their defence. As at Mk Dons i don''t think he''ll score hatfulls of goals but he''ll definately get a few, and will give us a physical presence with Holty or become more of the focal point when Holt''s out!

Overall - Low on skill but high on ''nuisance factor''.

Just what we need to hold up the ball and cause problems for opposing defences - we would''ve been out of sight in the Sheffield Wednesday game if we''d had a player like this on the pitch.

He won''t score many but will prove just as valuable as a distraction.

I thought Wilbraham was the weaklink in the team!

He was slow, didn''t win alot of challenges and generally got bypassed!

Though in fairness he only signed a couple of days ago and hasn''t aclimatised to the club and team yet so I''ll reserve judgement yet though I stand by my rather harsh summary of his performance today!

I thought he did alright today for a debut, worked really hard, chased lost causes and pit himself about a bit, he was a less annoying nuisance than Holty but still a nuisance to the back 4 of QPR!

Clearly here as a back up to Holty but a useful player to have in the squad if we want to mix it up a little.

In the same way Keith Scott was unto the O’Neil so it is that Father Wilbraham is unto the Lambert…………….

I agree grantroederdisaster he was a best average and I would rather oli be given more of a chance he was slow fell over alot had a golden opportuntity for a shot but just doesnt have the skill

I agree on today performance not great; but then I felt the same about Russel Martin at the start of the season.Our Own Chris Martin had a great game apart from his finishing and should have had a hatrick.

On todays performance he has a bit of work to do.

Seeing what the coaching staff have done to R Martin, Nelson, lappin and others I''m sure they''ll be a few games in the future when he''ll be a hero. I think he was thrown in it today to add a bit of nuscle and weight to the team.

The game plan seemed to be one of stop QPR settling and playing THEIR game. It worked, through a magnificent effort by EVERY City player today.

Let''s hope the players are rested up enough for the trip and game up at the Riverside. A point there would cap a great holiday period and give the team a chance to get fired up again for Cardiff.

Just heard on the FLS that Cardiff are supposed to be signing Jon Parkin, given the choice, who''d you rather have?  Parkin is a fat beast...

I''m well aware that he has only been here a day or two and hope that it is the reason for it but he looked extremely poor. He was slow, looked unfit, his touch was sloppy, he didnt seem to know what to do with the ball (but needs to get used to the other players, i understand that) and wasn''t "a pain in the ass" like he sed he would be. He seemed uninterested in getting the ball as well; there were a few times it was a mere few yards from him and he was static and didnt seem like he wanted the ball.

I will, of course, give him the benefit of the doubt but his performance today was awful.

He was no better than I expected him to be so I can''t say I''m disappointed. His record shows him to be pretty average but Sunday League is taking it a bit far.For 100k theres not much lost

Considering he walked into a team and 2 days later is expected to play from the start against (arguably) the best team in the league I think he played fantastically !Of course hes not going to know where players make runs, like the ball played etc but he had a job and did it.Won a lot of flick ons and nice little cusion down headers , his size made him a nuseince a lot of the time as well.Was unlucky to be offside or he would have had a debut goal as well.He was desperate to impress and did fluff a shot . you could also see he was frustraited with both Wes and Martin as they passed the ball between themsevles and Holt and missed him out...But again.... 2 days with the squad it was a MASSIVE ask as in Wes etc defence, they equally dont know Wilbraham''s game !

I just find it kinda sad and a bit upsetting that frequently people who consider themselves football fans and think they know about the game show that they really dont understand it at any given level.Sunday league for christ sake !!

I agree. Thought he showed a lot of potential for us. Give him a few weeks to get used to Holty, Hoolahan etc. and he could prove to be a really good signing.

He is never going to be a fill in for Holt, and I cant see him putting pressure on Martin for a place, but he looks like he can do a job physically on a back line, where the likes of Jackson would struggle. Like others have said, looks like he could be fitter, and with all that height should be able to get above most defenders, which he struggled to do yesterday. Like every new signing, needs to be given some time to settle and get the tempo and patterns of play of his new team. A sound but unremarkable start ...imho!

He reminded me of Dean Ashton in appearance. Thought he did alright, he took too long over the chance he had in the second half, but let''s give the guy some credit. It''s a bit different playing against Yeovil than it is against a team who are probably going to be playing in the top flight next season.

I think the point is i hope he grows into his roll, it wasnt a good start he didnt seem to be able to read the game and he dosent seem to have any legs... but its the first game and im responding to the post not having a go! .... i  also do agree its different walking into a crowd of 26500 and playing the top of the league team. Lets hope he grows like Ruddy has.

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]He reminded me of Dean Ashton in appearance. [/quote]His play was more reminiscent of a slow motion Dean Coney.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jarroldstander"]He reminded me of Dean Ashton in appearance. [/quote]His play was more reminiscent of a slow motion Dean Coney.[/quote]If he ran any slower he would have gone backwards!