Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

shades of 2009/10

PL is right to refuse to talk about promotion, and to dampen down our excitement. There are still so many games to go in a very tight division that still as many as 12 teams could be candidates for promotion.

But we have momentum, even if we struggle at Middlesborough today.

We went into the match on Saturday with eight first team players unavailable,(Fox, Hughes, Lansbury, Smith, Surman and Ward through injury, and Barnett and Lappin through suspension,) and having to play two players who had recently played only a few minutes after long-term injury - Drury and Whitbread.)

We not only won, but outplayed for long periods, the expected runaway champions. We have now taken four points from our two encounters with them this season, while they have taken only one, and we have kept two clean sheets against them.

Saturday was a great achievement, even if it required a massive physical commitment by all our players. Some were completely exhausted when the final whistle went.

PL is right, the season is a marathon and not a sprint, and we are right to rein in our excitement and enthusiasm. We can, however, delight that we have players of skill and commitment, as well as excellent management, which make us able to beat anyone.

The prospects are good, and I have not been so full of expectation for some time. Keep it up lads. We are with you!

It annoys me when McNally comes out and says that we are over achieving. In my opinion if we are capable of staying in the play off area over 4/5 months of the season then we are NOT over achieving and we should be aiming for them!