Sign in to follow this  
ncfcrule

Chris martins is our best finisher?

listening to canary call and many views on here, neil adams bangs on about chris martin being our best finisher and if you want a chance to fall to a player it would be him. Now im not saying he''s a bad player but i''m not sure he''s as good a finisher as made out, yes he slots away some finishes with pure class, really does, but there is many occasions during most games where i''m sitting there thinking, if that was holt, that''s a goal. He is a good player, but our best finisher??

Nah its Simon Lappin :-pJoking aside I think he (Martin) shows the best composure and eye for a shot.Cant remember who it was against, but I think his last home goal, ball just fell to him and he turned and curled it into the near post without really showing any effort or thought. Fantastic goal.Best finisher.... perhaps maybe Wes ? He doesnt miss many shots on target. But Martin is certainly up there.

Not a lot between Martin or Hoolahan for me but I think Martin does have a tendency to try hit the corners a bit too much and can narrowly miss the target as result, for example at Forest where he hit the woodwork twice with the keeper no where.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]martin by a mile, followed by hooly.[/quote]

Why do you say this? as pointed out, he goes for precision to often, so misses chances that otheres would score, the likes of hoolahan and holt just put the ball away. I think he''s up there, but not our best finisher tbh.sit in river end, watching shooting practice, fox puts more away then most ;)

Chris Martin is the best finisher at the club without a doubt.  The reason some people may question it though is because he doesn''t shoot that often and therefore doesn''t score many goals.  There are occasions when he gets the ball where it would be ideal to shoot with his left foot but tries to get it on his right foot so he can curl it in.  A lot of the time he loses it in these positions and that is where you can think if Holt was there he would have buried it.  When Chris Martin does get it on his right foot though he is without a doubt the best finisher at the club. 

Chrissy definitely looks the most composed, assured and confident in front of goal. I would say he is our best finisher, just look at those 2 against Colchester last season; quality. [Y]

[quote user="ncfcrule"][quote user="I am a Banana"]martin by a mile, followed by hooly.[/quote] Why do you say this? as pointed out, he goes for precision to often, so misses chances that otheres would score, the likes of hoolahan and holt just put the ball away. I think he''s up there, but not our best finisher tbh.sit in river end, watching shooting practice, fox puts more away then most ;)[/quote]

I watch this warm up too and it is unbleievable at how many shots players like Chris Martin, Simeon Jackson and Oli Johnson blast wide or over.  As you say Fox seems to score a lot of them but Holt is the only player who regularly puts them away.  It''s only the warm up and doesn''t win us football matches but it still shows a lot about the players.

[quote user="Boyo"]Chris Martin is the best finisher at the club without a doubt.  The reason some people may question it though is because he doesn''t shoot that often and therefore doesn''t score many goals.  There are occasions when he gets the ball where it would be ideal to shoot with his left foot but tries to get it on his right foot so he can curl it in.  A lot of the time he loses it in these positions and that is where you can think if Holt was there he would have buried it.  When Chris Martin does get it on his right foot though he is without a doubt the best finisher at the club. [/quote]

agreed but surely part of finishing it getting a shot in early, taking to much time to get in the right position surely means his finishing is weaker as he can''t shoot effectively under pressure?

[quote user="Boyo"]

[quote user="ncfcrule"][quote user="I am a Banana"]martin by a mile, followed by hooly.[/quote] Why do you say this? as pointed out, he goes for precision to often, so misses chances that otheres would score, the likes of hoolahan and holt just put the ball away. I think he''s up there, but not our best finisher tbh.sit in river end, watching shooting practice, fox puts more away then most ;)[/quote]

I watch this warm up too and it is unbleievable at how many shots players like Chris Martin, Simeon Jackson and Oli Johnson blast wide or over.  As you say Fox seems to score a lot of them but Holt is the only player who regularly puts them away.  It''s only the warm up and doesn''t win us football matches but it still shows a lot about the players.

[/quote]

But martin just messes around like a 10 year old and blasts it.

Holt is 100% focused as soon as he wakes up on saturday!

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not really sure what you are trying to say here Nana but since when has Chris Martin been a player to blast it at goal!?!?

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not really sure what you are trying to say here Nana but since when has Chris Martin been a player to blast it at goal!?!?

[/quote]

he isn''t but he does in the warm up. You cant judge a player in warmup there under no pressure!!

purposefully kicking a ball to distract Ruddy saving a cross, blasting it at someone when playing keepy up, looking away from the ball at another player while blasting it, cheating in the sprints, kicking a ball at someones back during a shotjust off the top of my head these are some of the antics i have seen in warm up so its hardly something to stone wall judge something by.That said perhaps the likes of Martin should concentrate more on the warm up and less on the tom foolery......

Thats who he is though, and if thats not a personality suited to Football, he shouldn''t be a footballer.....

Its fair enough to ask him to be more sensible and grown up, but if its not him, he''s not going to be. Look at Balotelli, having tantrums at every club he''s at, yet doesn''t really get punished for it, obviously doesn''t really enjoy his football, didn''t even celebrate his hat-trick I was told.

I think though, and i may be wrong, Chris Martin doesn''t shoot enough and when he''s not shooting he doesn''t seem to get noticed. I have seen a few comments about his link up play and on the whole it is very good, but he doesn''t seem to get much praise for that.

I regularly bang on about his link up and hold up play GP.Frankly I rate Chris Martin and think he often gets tagged with the "lazy" stick way to much than is actually fair !I think some people spend to much time watching the highlights or dont have a good enough angle to see his movement and his link up.Yesterday was really anoying in the first half Martin was stood in front of us ( I are in teh Jarold old man area ) waving his arms and screaming for the ball , players just ignoring him, when he was spotted it was to late and Fox''s pass was intercepted for Blades goal #2.Martin was getting really angry with Jackson , Lappin and Fox for not watching his space, and he had TONS of it on the left.

Where about in the Jarrold are you? I''m in area N......

And yeah Martin stood out on the wing in all that space for 25 mins, and only got given the ball twice

I have to agree, maybe Martin does try to get the corners to much, but maybe in a couple of season when he is banging them in the corners more accurately due to practise he will get even more goals, I think he is the best finisher finesse wise, and has shown that in the Barnsley game, Huddersfield last year , not sure if anyone remembers the MK Dons game last year aswell. Majority of his goals are him cutting inside edge of the area into the corner, I think if he had a bit more pace, it would be amazing for us to be able to slot him in behind the defence.

Saying that though Fox is a good finisher, Holt has a nice right foot on him as well for example against Scum of course. I actually think another of the finishers up there is Cody McDonald, I think he still has a future at the club and could push for a place next season now he is playing his first season regularly, that will do wonders for his development even is if it is only League 2. With his work rate, finishing and pace he can trouble defences he just needs that polishing off if you like.

I think Lambert is brilliant manager at getting the best out of his players, just not 100% he has quite done that with Martin and whether he is playing him right, I think he needs more service and a bit less criticism from Norwich fans who I think miss a lot of his efforts and link up play due to playing in Holt''s shadow.

OTBC

I get fed up about people banging on about him so much. For a guy who has played most of the season his return is not bad but modest. There are many strikers in the championship better than him albeit at the moment he is probably our best pairing with Holt

you say martin stood there wanting the ball? thats the point why he is labelled lazy, instead of screaming go and get the bloody thing!!! he IS lazy as was shown in the last min of first half when he was closest to Sheff player yet did nothing to try and win the ball but Holt ran right across the pitch and won a free kick. Martin is so frustrating as when he is playing away he seems to be a far better player than when he plays at home!!!!

By far our best finisher, and what sticks in my mind the most about him is that he never looks nervous or uncertain when with the ball, unlike Jackson. Missing the sitter against Huddersfield last season could have really weighed on his mind especially when running 1 on 1 a short time later with a lot of time to think about what hes going to do - but he scored a great goal and the miss earlier was completely forgotten about. When Jackson was through 1 on 1 against Portsmouth he just looked like he was trying to overthink it, panicked and passed the ball to the keeper. If Martin had had that chance or Holt had been playing that game could have been very different. Looking back at most of his goals, Colchester, MK Dons, Brentford, Barnsley etc etc he just looks composed and in control and definately not lazy.

[quote user="ncfcrule"]listening to canary call and many views on here, neil adams bangs on about chris martin being our best finisher and if you want a chance to fall to a player it would be him. Now im not saying he''s a bad player but i''m not sure he''s as good a finisher as made out, yes he slots away some finishes with pure class, really does, but there is many occasions during most games where i''m sitting there thinking, if that was holt, that''s a goal. He is a good player, but our best finisher??[/quote]

He is definitely not our best finisher. That has to be Holt, Hoolahan or Cody.  Martin simply does not score enough.

[quote user="baldyboy"]you say martin stood there wanting the ball? thats the point why he is labelled lazy, instead of screaming go and get the bloody thing!!! [/quote]So Martin should leave the space where he is to go and tackle one of his own players should he?

He might be the best finisher but he is definitely not the best goal scorer.

At the start of the season I''d have fancied him to have netted more than 4 league goals by the turn of the year, which, to be honest, is a poor return for someone who plays as much as he does and has the ability he has got.

The signing of Wilbraham may help though because I suspect he may put a bit of pressure on Chrissy''s place, while also offering cover for Holt.

Harry, you are missing the point! it wasnt about tackling one of his own players, the fact is Holt ran 50yds to win the ball off a Utd player and get a free kick while martin stood with his hands on his hips as usual!!!all this about Martin being the best finisher is crap!!! he has missed too many chances this season also such as the sitter v the scum and a sitter v Pompey, thats why he only has FOUR goals pretty poor for the so called best finisher isnt it? even hoolahan and crofts have more than that!!!!

Was gonna jump on this but Harry beat me.and quite rightly said :  Why would Martin want to leave space ?Also you dont know what Lambert has told the players, perhaps Martin has specifically been told not to close down ?! I must have been eating my pie or throwing abuse at Andy Reid as I missed the 50 yard incident.... perhaps it never happened !

it defiantely happened and martin was 10 yards away scratching his arse.

He is a lazy bastard and Jackson has a better goals per game record this season both have 4 goals each but Martin has started more games. Jacskon was unlucky to be substituted on saturday as he was played on the wing and ran his nuts off but isnt a winger. Martin should have come off for Wes and Jackson put through the centre.

Yes he is a good finisher but is a lazy workshy tosser and more people in the crowd are realising it