Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

A Subtle Change - Lambert's Interview

Following the game, when answering questions about Holt/Hoolahan/etc, there was a very well-hidden change in Lambert''s words.

As we all know, ''survival'' has been the centre of every interview.

However, it shifted very slightly post-match today.

Lambert said: ''That point away from home may be pivotal come the end of it all'' and explained how we have to save the ''massive players for the run-in.''

It''s nothing noticeable to the outsiders, but a little indication of how capable Lambert thinks this team is. He''s quietly hinting what we already know - we are contenders for not just promotion, but also the title!

yeah I thought the same, although he still remained down-beat when asked about bringing any more players in

I think you''re jumping the gun a little with you remark about title contenders and Lambert offering a quiet nod of acknowledgement. I''m sure he is very much aware of our frailties with injuries at the current moment and this could really hit us hard in the league. Key members of our attacking side; Hoolahan, Holt, Lansbury (who may not extend his loan) and Surman are all picking up knocks right now, and with Lappin needed at left-back this has meant our left midfield has been weakened, where normally he would fill in and offer an outlet for attacks.

The other problem is apart from Holt, Chris Martin and Jackson haven''t been firing on all cyclinders, and as such, leave us vulnerable up top. I think Lambert knows we have a real chance at top 6 more like, and that a point today could be crucial come May, if we - as many other sides do - have a poor spell of games and start to fall away a little.

Of course I''d love to see us take top spot (how many sides, if any, have done that before?), but I don''t see that happening if we are only planning on making 2 signings, one most likely to be a right-back - a position at the moment we have no problem with.

[quote user="canary_girl"]yeah I thought the same, although he still remained down-beat when asked about bringing any more players in[/quote]

One would think that the average NCFC fan would know Lambert well enough not to be fooled by that old one.

I also noticed this, and also thought that his walking onto this pitch and applauding of the fans was an indication that he now believes that we have a very good chance of not only getting automatically promoted but actually winning this league.

All in all a very good start to the year and a very strong position to be in!

OTBC

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="canary_girl"]yeah I thought the same, although he still remained down-beat when asked about bringing any more players in[/quote]

One would think that the average NCFC fan would know Lambert well enough not to be fooled by that old one.

[/quote]

Yeah I''m well aware Lambert down-plays things, I was just making the point that whilst his attitude in front of the cameras may have shifted slightly from not just talking about survival, when it comes to transfers he has been consistent. I''m not too optimistic about any eye catching players coming in, but also wouldn''t bet against it

I actually thought the most notable change came when first asked about transfers.

Didn''t he say something along the lines of we shall make sure we are safe first before bringing in the 3 players I think can help us push on.

That to me suggested that they were going to see where they were come a set date and then move on targets that would allow them to keep the pace etc.

So I think there have been little hints, but no one would want to jinx it and Lambert knows that they have to remain focused and keep their heads down because so far we have got what we have worked incredibly hard for. Drop that work rate and points will be dropped too.