Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Hoolahan's contract situation

I don''t usually get the match programme but a relative of mine got given one at the QPR game and I was reading it last night. Anyway my point is that within said programme is the transcript of a question and answer session with Mcnally (I assume possibly one of the webchats) during which he is asked expressly about whether Wes will be given a new contract as the fan concerned was worried that he will be out of contract and be able to walk away in the summer. In response McNally says something along the lines of (and I don''t have it in front of me here so am paraphrasing) that he can''t comment on individual contracts for reasons of confidentiality but that the club and manager are entirely happy with the contract situation in relation to the clubs senior players and that none of our senior players will be able to leave the club on a free or a Bosman this summer.

Perhaps is someone has the programme to hand they can find the exact quote but anyway it seemed to me that (unless Mcnally is being clever with words (eg "senior" players)) the implication was that Wes can''t leave on a free and maybe we have one of those options for a further year that we often seem to build into player contracts. Anyone else see this/have any thoughts?

a few people have suggested that Hoolahan has probably already signed a new contract but this wont be announced till the end of January to give us some good news after a quiet transfer window?

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2249060,00.html

Here is the webchat in full with the question and answer you are talking about. I don''t know if we have an option on Wes, but I think if we did then McNally would have just said so.

When he says we won''t lose a senior player on a Bosman in the summer he seems to be suggesting that contracts will be agreed by the end of this transfer window or players will be sold before it gets to that situation.

It is certainly a very strongly worded statement from McNally though which definitely gives hope that the club has pretty much agreed terms with Hoolahan. I''m guessing Wes is one of the highest paid players at the club so it was never going to be an easy contract to sort out, especially with the team sitting pretty in the top 6.

[quote user="canary_girl"]a few people have suggested that Hoolahan has probably already signed a new contract but this wont be announced till the end of January to give us some good news after a quiet transfer window?[/quote]

100%

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2249060,00.html

Here is the webchat in full with the question and answer you are talking about. I don''t know if we have an option on Wes, but I think if we did then McNally would have just said so.

When he says we won''t lose a senior player on a Bosman in the summer he seems to be suggesting that contracts will be agreed by the end of this transfer window or players will be sold before it gets to that situation.

It is certainly a very strongly worded statement from McNally though which definitely gives hope that the club has pretty much agreed terms with Hoolahan. I''m guessing Wes is one of the highest paid players at the club so it was never going to be an easy contract to sort out, especially with the team sitting pretty in the top 6.

[/quote]

What he actually says is that the club is not at risk of losing any senior players on a Bosman in January or the summer. As you say that to me is a pretty bold statement if Hooly has not agreed a new contract because if he hasn''t sone then surely we are at risk unless he would argue Hoolahan is not a senior player!

[quote user="canary_girl"]a few people have suggested that Hoolahan has probably already signed a new contract but this wont be announced till the end of January to give us some good news after a quiet transfer window?[/quote]

Quiet? We''ve already signed Barnett and Wilbrahams and it''s still only the 4th Jan..........

Quiet?

FFS!!  [:@][:@][:@][8o|][8o|]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="canary_girl"]a few people have suggested that Hoolahan has probably already signed a new contract but this wont be announced till the end of January to give us some good news after a quiet transfer window?[/quote]

Quiet? We''ve already signed Barnett and Wilbrahams and it''s still only the 4th Jan..........

Quiet?

[/quote]

dont shoot the messenger, and I think what people mean is that Lambert has said he still after another two players, not including Wilbraham and Barnett, if we get no more players in, then in those terms it would be quiet compared to what was expected

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="canary_girl"]a few people have suggested that Hoolahan has probably already signed a new contract but this wont be announced till the end of January to give us some good news after a quiet transfer window?[/quote]

Quiet?

[/quote]We''ve signed more than one Wilbraham? Excellent!

I just think Hoolahan''s agent is playing this well. We''re 2nd in the league and he''s one of our best players, and if on a long-term contract, one of our most saleable assets. I''d imagine they''re playing on that a bit and letting the club sweat for a bit to eek a bit more wonga out. If he had 3 years on his contract we''d be looking at £2m for him, maybe more. They know that, and they know he''s important to us. He''s probably asked for an amount that''s not in line with Holt and other senior players. My guess is they''re just finding a wage that suits all parties. If I was in Wes'' position I''d probably play it the same, ask for 12-15k a week and hope I got 10k.

I think you may be right BJG, but I also think that this is a dangerous game to play with PL , I believe that Rusty and Doc played the same game and look where they are now !

I was actually the person who asked the question. I did find his answer somewhat confusing and was surprised McNally didn''t give more information. He is known for being open with the fans.

He did stress that Hoolahan can not agree a pre-contract with any English team in Jan, but could agree deal with a scottish or foreign team.

I would think it''s somewhat unlikely Wes would want to go to Scotland or abroad. Therefore, the club see no great rush to get it sorted.

I only thing I would add to the answer McNally offered is he won''t be available to sign in Jan and at the current team he can''t leave on a bosman in the summer. Therefore, I can only assume he hasn''t said he won''t sign a new contract - but like many people I am concerned and would like to see him sign a new deal very soon.

This is not a Nazi dictatorship where they are spreading news out to make sure everyone stays interested.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I was actually the person who asked the question. I did find his answer somewhat confusing and was surprised McNally didn''t give more information. He is known for being open with the fans. He did stress that Hoolahan can not agree a pre-contract with any English team in Jan, but could agree deal with a scottish or foreign team. I would think it''s somewhat unlikely Wes would want to go to Scotland or abroad. Therefore, the club see no great rush to get it sorted. I only thing I would add to the answer McNally offered is he won''t be available to sign in Jan and at the current team he can''t leave on a bosman in the summer. Therefore, I can only assume he hasn''t said he won''t sign a new contract - but like many people I am concerned and would like to see him sign a new deal very soon.[/quote]

My thoighst though Jim are that if he is saying there is no risk of Hoolahan (as one of our senior players) leaving on a Bosman in the summer then surely he must have already committed himself to staying or we have an option for another year?

Well hopefully you''re right about that, but I wouldn''t be all that confident. I do hope something is announced over the next few days.

Just passing on what i have heard which came from someone working within carrow road, now it may be a load of crap which i hope its they just said hoolahans off to WBA in 1 mil deal with one of there players coming here... the other rumor is that of steven smith had fallen out with PL and had left the club , could all be bull just telling you what ive heard.

I also can''t help feeling that Hoolahan will be off, maybe even as soon as the end of this week. Just someone I know said something and he knows someone who would know. If you know what I mean.[;)]

A scummer who is related through marriage to Hoolahan came onto a Norwich message board to post that he was signing for us way before it was released in the press, he then came back when everyone was convinced he was leaving when we were relegated to say he was happy here and wasn''t leaving, at this moment in time he hasn''t posted anything so I would assume he is going nowhere otherwise he would have been in there telling everyone where he was going.

[quote user="Dexx"]Just passing on what i have heard which came from someone working within carrow road, now it may be a load of crap which i hope its they just said hoolahans off to WBA in 1 mil deal with one of there players coming here... the other rumor is that of steven smith had fallen out with PL and had left the club , could all be bull just telling you what ive heard.[/quote]No chance, we would not get £1m plus a player for somebody who has only 6 months remaining on his deal.