Sign in to follow this  
kdncfc

So Are We Going For It Or Not?

Heard Lambert on the radio after the game saying that he''s trying to get a couple in but got the impression that he wasn''t that hopeful that it wouldn''t happen due to lack of finance. Promotion could well be decided on who signs who in the transfer window and surely our position is good enough to push the boat out and sign a couple of players who could make the difference, if it works out we get a massive windfall by getting promoted and if it doesn''t we have two players who would be saleable assets should we need to cash in at the end of the season.These opportunities don''t come along very often so surely it would be a risk worth taking.

I don''t agree that promotion hinges on who signs in the transfer window. I don''t actually think we need to sign many because we have so many out injured that once they come back we''ll have a strong enough squad to stay where we are in the table - the likes of Surman and Whitbread for example will be like new signings if they can stay fit once they return properly. I think we need a cover for Russell Martin as a priority and to sign up Lansbury until the end of the season and we''ll have enough in my opinion.. maybe i''m controversial, who knows!

[quote user="KingsLynnCanary"]I don''t agree that promotion hinges on who signs in the transfer window. I don''t actually think we need to sign many because we have so many out injured that once they come back we''ll have a strong enough squad to stay where we are in the table - the likes of Surman and Whitbread for example will be like new signings if they can stay fit once they return properly. I think we need a cover for Russell Martin as a priority and to sign up Lansbury until the end of the season and we''ll have enough in my opinion.. maybe i''m controversial, who knows!
[/quote]

Of course I''d like to see a couple of more signings and lets not forget that Lambert likes to play things down, but if we do not get anyone else in I agree with the above, as long as we can hold on to Lansbury and get a fit Surman and Whitbread they will be like new signings anyway

To be fair I don''t think Lambert would say if he had the finances, for one it would push prices up and two he wants us all to remain grounded.  Let''s just wait and see what materialises from this TW.

Actions speak louder than words. PL refuses to discuss promotion chances, but he deploys very attacking formations away from home. Mere consolidation would suggest a more cautious approach to away games. If we obtained only draws in the remaining away games we would reach the 50 points and "safety".

I think that his approach is right. If we were to lose a game or two and slip down to 8th, say, once we have assured our position in the Championship we can go for it. In the meantime he has the players playing out of their skins on occasions.

I still think, and I suspect he may also, than an automatic promotion place is probably difficult, unless we have a much better injury experience. So he carefully nurses his squad in the hope of a play off place, where our ability to "turn it on" could prove important.

I do definately think we need anothr goal scorer as it seems we are relying to heavily on Holt and anyone else in the team who can chip in when they can, the other strikers arn''t really scoring; but we all know that goal scorers cost a fair bit of money

That is right ... if we can not afford another striker who can score heavily, perhaps a goal-scoring midfielder - dare I say like Damien Francis when he could be bothered?! - might fill this gap? As has been commented elsewhere, Adam Hammill has looked an interesting prospect that we might stretch to most weeks on TV (even if he did not excite us hugely over the 90 minutes in September).Aside from back up for Russell Martin, perhaps further strengthening in the defence is necessary. While the individuals we have now are generally an improvement on recent years and the manager''s tactics are clearly superior, the reality is that a team that has outperformed our expectations this season has let in more goals than our rivals except Leeds. This tendency is particularly notable at "Fortress Carrow Road" with 19 conceded already. We can not rely on opposing teams always having a man sent off to help us win games! Worth also recalling that for all the justified praise for our three goalscoring heros last season, we also kept 19 clean sheets in the league, at least 3 more than our promotion rivals.

We''ve got goals coming from Crofts (4), Hoolahan (8), and Fox (2... Ish), with Surman and Lansbury yet to have had a fair shot at it, with the kind of history that shows that the two are more than capable of doing so.I''m going to go out on a limb here and say, not only do we not need another Damien Francis, but that the quality of our centrally positioned midfielders is in fact of better overall quality than that of our 2003/04 title winning season. I actually don''t see him as being a player too dissimilar to Crofts.However concerning wide players, i''d be more than happy to see us hijack any deal concerning Jason Puncheon between Millwall and Southampton.Another player i''d like to see us bring in is Glenn Murray from Brighton. I''ve been touting him as a good transfer for well over a year now, and he''s beginning to hit the centre stage in League One this season. Certainly has issues, and they''ve been what has kept him back over the years (his sulking for being at a bigger club than Brighton effected his performances for one), but he''s got a lot of talent. Comes from the string of decent strikers in the lower leagues to have come from Rochdale in recent history, including Ricky Lambert, Chris Dagnall, and our very own Grant Holt. Similar to Holt, tall and strong player with a lot of nous on a football pitch, who often finds the net. The man that brings out the willing attitude in him will have a heck of a player.Would beef up our strikers no end as well, and each one has more of a mind than to simply be a battering ram.

I would like to see a defensive midfielder come in, a play who will break up attacks and can spot a pass. Crofts is good in this position, but he wants to be further up the pitch and chipping in with goals. Fox doesn''t quite have the strenght and height to do this, although can spot a great pass.

Not sure who would fit into this role and is a realistic target. Also feel this role is more suited to a non-British player as it isn''t a role that British players often seem to fill, well not since Lambert himself was playing.

When on form and driving at goal, Adam Hamill seems a mixture of Huckerby & Bellamy - great turn and pace. At his age with Prem potential he would be a steal at anything under £1m.

Cause we are!

Lambert isn''t here just to pick up the money and tread water. Him and Mcnally can see what potential the club has and want to get in the Premiership ASAP!

I find the "too early to go up" statement the biggest bull s hit statement anyone can make about NCFC. If we good to go up then fair enough, worry about whaty to do when if we get there. If we don''t go up this season its likely we''ll lose momentum, look at Leicester this season. You strike when the fires hot. Blackpool, size wise are a League 1 club but they don''t go on about going up they are just making their best fist of it and look like they can stay up. I think Lambert gets the best out of average players (look at R Martin and Nelson in recent games) and goes for it so if we got in the Premiership under Lambert ourt mindset would be much more positive than it was under Worthy (OUT! - sorry but whenever I think of him I think of the campaign!).

If we think of Hoolahan as largely a forward who does little defensively (as is generally recognised), the midfield has not produced many goals apart from Crofts. The potential is clearly there but, with half a season gone, one might conclude you do not win matches now or get promoted with potential. As commented on this thread, Crofts is our main defensive midfielder so, without any alternative, it seems doubtful that he can get into the forward positions often enough to score a lot of goals. Damien Francis on song seemed to have the energy to both tackle back and then appear in the box soon afterwards to finish (Andy Johnson had flashes of the same capability). Perhaps if Korey Smith or Tom Adeyemi continue developing we may have a home grown solution but to get promoted this year we probably need to add a goal threat behind Holt and Martin. If we look at our rivals in the top half of the table, the likes of Taarabt, Commons, McGugan, Hammill (as I mentioned before) and Gradal stand out in the goalscoring charts from midfield - even if we count Sinclair as more of a forward like Hoolahan -so far this season.

While we can all dream about buying star palyers, another realistic suggestion that might fit is Darren Pratley at Swansea. He is 6'' 1" and already has 5 goals this season (in one of least prolific sides who play a tight game). His contract is up in the summer so might not be out of our budget.