Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Why We Should Be Thankful The Boxing Day Game Was Cancelled...

I thought when the game on Boxing Day was called off it might not be a bad thing.

Now I''m thinking we should be delighted it was. 4 games in 9 days really stretches your resources and with the injury list we have and the relatively small squad, Paul Lambert has shuffled his pack superbly. Who knows what difference that extra game would have made, but we will now have it when the players will be more refreshed.

The problem now is that Palace will have a new manager, probably Steve Coppell, for the rearranged game and will have new impetus due to that change. It will thus be much harder for us to take all 3 points than it would have been on Boxing Day IMO..

[quote user="paul moy"]The problem now is that Palace will have a new manager, probably Steve Coppell, for the rearranged game and will have new impetus due to that change. It will thus be much harder for us to take all 3 points than it would have been on Boxing Day IMO..[/quote]

Absolutely right! The 3 points available on Boxing Day will no doubt be much more challenging to get with a new manger in place. My view is if a Championship team cannot stage the game due to inadequate facilities, the game should revert to the opposition''s ground along with the loss of gate revenue as punishment. Either that or they forfeit the game 1-0.

Mind you, had we played Palace, we may have been tired for QPR - it''s a knock-on effect. Mustn''t grumble - all in all, it''s turned out pretty well so far!

[quote user="paul moy"]The problem now is that Palace will have a new manager, probably Steve Coppell, for the rearranged game and will have new impetus due to that change. It will thus be much harder for us to take all 3 points than it would have been on Boxing Day IMO..[/quote]If they appoint Coppell they are insane, he will only walk out after a few weeks.

Also, i reckon we`ll take many more fans later in the season than we would have done on boxing day. If we`re in the top two they`ll give us as many as we can sell.

We were absolutely shattered against Middlesbrough which resulted in us drawing the game (hanging on at the end as well!) when I think we could have won had we been fresher and had Hoolahan!

Palace will probably get better for a while at least with a new manager so if we are to play them this month it may be harder than it would have been on Boxing day?

Im glad it was postponed. We may have got 3 points but would have been as fresh for QPR? We gave that game everyhing and looked knackered after it and at Middlesbrough where we were hanging on...I doubt we would have got a good return of points on these two games if we had to play Palace as well with all our injuries. When we do play them they may be tougher to beat, but we now have players coming back from injury and will hopefully be fresh and fit enough to beat them despite them possibly being an improved team.