Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Gary Holt - what a man!

Lets hear it for the man. Regardless of what we think of his credentials in the prem, you''ve got to admire the bloke. Still in pain and likely to be doubled up in more pain if he gets the slightest knock on his ribs (which lets face it, he will), and still he gets out there and gives it 110%. I think this whole episode might improve him as well!

If he was still in the army and i was on the other side, i''d be scared! 

He''s a grafter, not the best player in the world but he gives his all and does a job for the team. All teams have one, even the best. In some teams they can play brilliantly too, but as a general rule you need one.

Examples!

Robbie Savage - Nuff said!
Patrick Viera - World Class too
Thomas Graveson - Good distribution
Claude Makele - I watched an article on tv, his opta-stats say he''s "average", but he does the job, short passes all the time, always behind lampard letting him go forward.

Holt and Francis, the way forward till a grafter who can play better comes in!

He''s also a job bloke, comes out early for signing stuff etc!

OTBC!

Chris

I think it is true to say that we have scored more points whilst Holt is on the pitch than we have when he wasn''t - and that is on top of his commitment and bravery

I think that thats entirely true Chunky, apart from watching an article on TV!!!! read one in the times about makele and that it is he who sets everything up for everyone else by all his hard work at the back.

Maybe, I really can''t remember. I just read/watched it and found myself agreeing with what was said.All his passes are short and easy, he never gets forward and just sits there, sound familar at all? If you''re a holding midfielder and you can''t play a long pass safely, you play a short easy one!Gary Holt is the best option we have in this position and will be until Helveg or Safri come back, at least with Holt you know what you''re going to get, even if it is only shedloads of running and lots of short passes.OTBC!Chris

didnt holt play earlier this season with an injury, and knew he was below 100% but didnt bother telling the medical staff - maybe if he had admitted he was injured a player who was at full fitness could have started instead eg safri

[quote]didnt holt play earlier this season with an injury, and knew he was below 100% but didnt bother telling the medical staff - maybe if he had admitted he was injured a player who was at full fitness cou...[/quote]

No. He didn''t know he was injured. He has a disease and collapsed after a game.

Fact is - his performances had been below par this season, and the injury might account for that, since he looked brilliant when he came on against Boro...

[quote]I think it is true to say that we have scored more points whilst Holt is on the pitch than we have when he wasn''t - and that is on top of his commitment and bravery[/quote]

We got 10 points when Holty in the team, then we only got 7 when he wasn''t there....:-(

I think you''ll find that the first couple of months Holt was one of the least impressive performers in our return to the Premiership. His injury occured in late October/early November at a time when admittedly he was perhaps picking up a bit of form, but to suggest that aside from the injury Holt has been a solid performer is incorrect. He struggled to pick up the pace at the outset of the season.

This isn''t meant to be a negative or bitchy posting about a City player, its based on my own opinion of matches that I saw him playing in. In the last three games he''s played (2 Reserve games and as a sub against Middlesborough) he has apparently looked like he''s getting back to his best, which is encouraging, and he played his part in the comeback up at the Riverside. If he has played bit-parts in these last few games in pain then I must commend him on his bravery and desire to fight for the cause as we have precious few players in midfield to use instead, hats off to you Gary...

However, if he''s in pain and likely to pick up an injury, should we really be using his services? Surely he should be left to recover fully?

the 2 wins this season have come WITHOUT holt in the side, thats no coincedence, go on and on about committment, bravery etc etc (and some people will until we go down) but the guys not up to it

not that mulrynes any better, but FRANCIS SAFRI AND HELVEG are all better footballers