Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

Mark Fotheringham

When I saw the post by the Leyton Orient fan on here about some of the shit ex players of ours they currently have it got me thinking about some of the dross we really used to have. The likes of Sibierski, Julian Brellier those sort of people. There is one ex useless player who I still to this day hate and that is Mark Fotheringham. The guy was just such an arrogant twat thinking he was such a great player, while I seem to remember him only prepared to sign a one year contract obviously expecting manchester united or chelsea to come along and sign him. He always used to misplace passes before going on to blame someone else for it and while his corners were just apalling and we may as well of just picked a fan out of the crowd to take them instead of him.Anyway this got me wondering what our former midfield maestro was up to these days. He still currently plays for the cypric side famargusta i think ther called and this season he has been a huge player for them making 1 substitute appearance for them. Im guessing they have quickly realised what a waste of space he is. I know its a bit sad finding that out but it gives me a lot of satisfaction to see the arrogant little shit has done nothing since leaving us

All top performers need self-belief in their ability and a sufficient level of personal esteem - although Fozzy seemed a bit top-heavy on the ''how I see myself'' bit!

Whilst here, I really wanted to like him; kept thinking I was about to see a Lansbury-type pass every time he got the ball. Then I realised I had simply bought into his own hype.

The one-year maximum contract issue sounds laughable now - on reflection, many players would be kicking themselves they never took a longer deal (assuming one was even offered?). Somehow I doubt Fozzy - being the football wanderer that he is - will ever get to know what a ''good football contract'' looks like!

To be fair to Fozzy he, like others at the time got caught up in the Roeder tornado that swept thru Carrow Road.

As captain Fozzy bore the brunt of it and no doubt Roeder deflected the teams poor results onto Fozzy. Every players form dipped under Roeder, Fozzy''s more so than anyone.

When he first started I remember him coming on against Southampton, inspiring a 2-1 turnaround. He was then injured and we started losing again. Then came Roeder and Fozzy was instrumental in the 13 match unbeaten run we went on, but Roeders poison soon affected him, quite catastrophically. A lot of players suffered a loss of form under Roeder, in fact only Croft, Clingan and Doc were unaffected by him.

I bet it would have been a very different story had Fozzy played under Lambert, and a team that gets the best out of players.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]To be fair to Fozzy he, like others at the time got caught up in the Roeder tornado that swept thru Carrow Road. As captain Fozzy bore the brunt of it and no doubt Roeder deflected the teams poor results onto Fozzy. Every players form dipped under Roeder, Fozzy''s more so than anyone. When he first started I remember him coming on against Southampton, inspiring a 2-1 turnaround. He was then injured and we started losing again. Then came Roeder and Fozzy was instrumental in the 13 match unbeaten run we went on, but Roeders poison soon affected him, quite catastrophically. A lot of players suffered a loss of form under Roeder, in fact only Croft, Clingan and Doc were unaffected by him. I bet it would have been a very different story had Fozzy played under Lambert, and a team that gets the best out of players.[/quote]

Good post Matt and some interesting points to redress the balance of the anti-Fozzy stuff that has been posted. I remember a very good early performance from him, coming on as a sub in the 3-2 win a Luton where he replaced Dickson Etuhu who was having one of his many off days. He helped turn the game for City.

On the debit side, towards the end of his time at Norwich I was completely hacked off with him, and he did nothing but slow the game down and pass sideways. After the Coventry game when he stomped off in a strop we played at QPR and I was in the ground early to watch the warm up and was relieved that both him and Jamie were not in the match day squad. We won 1-0.

My other memorable Fozzy moment was the “match fixing” game when we lost to a late goal at home to Derby. Fozzy was a sub that day and came on for Semmy after an hour or so. The Rodent, in a act of tactical acumen that only an England experienced manager could have dreamed up, pushed Sammy Clingan out to right back and Fozzy went to centre mid. Up to then City we were in control of the midfield. Fozzy came on, City surrendered control of the midfield and I surrendered control of my senses after the game. I had to apologise to a man in Morrisons car park for my swearing outburst.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]

I bet it would have been a very different story had Fozzy played under Lambert,[/quote]

I very much doubt Fotheringham would have played under Lambert, no more than Matt Gill or OTJ have anyway.

I like the comment about him being a football wanderer who will probably never know what a decent contract looks like.

I will say one thing.  I would swap a testicle now to be a football wanderer, especially a professional footballer playing in the sunshine week in week out.  Even without kicking a ball I bet he earns in excess of what most of us pick up each week!!

Well to keep you up to date Fotheringham has now played twice as a sub second time was on the 12 Dec against AEG for last 33 mins only problem he got a red card 90 min, Famagusta lost 1-2 at home.