Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

Okay Name your team for Saturday

It appears that most of us would agree some of the players need a rest after a busy festive period and it''s not going to be the end of the world if we don''t progress, and remember that we don''t want a draw! so what team would you like to see with a view to achieving progress and resting the players.

Mine would be

Rudd

Nelson    Whitbread     Barnet

Hughes     OTJ      Gill        Lappin  

Jackson     Johnson      MacNamee      

Bench

Ruddy, R Martin, Hooly(If fully recovered) if not Ball, JBA, K Smith, Daley,  (only six subs so another from the academy)

I think we could still win with this team- now over to you all for you thoughts.

-------------rudd--------------------

martin--nelson--whitbread--lappin

-----------OTJ-----------------------

hughes--gill--macnamee

-----jackson--wilbraham/johnson

*wilbraham if fully fit

I dont mind as long as we rest our first teamers, and to be honest I wont be gutted if we lose, means we can concentrate on the league

Ruddy

Martin Whitbread Barnett Lappin

Smith, Fox, Crofts, Macnamee

Jackson, Wilbraham

Subs: Hughes, Nelson, C Martin, Holt, Johnson, Drury, Rudd

I think Lambert will put out a stronger side than we expect but this would be a team I would play...

Ruddy

R.Martin    Barnett      Whitbread     Drury

McNamee  K.Smith         OTJ        Lappin 

Jackson      Wilbraham

If Wilbraham is cup tied then Johnson starts.  This gives lots of first teamers a rest but is still a strong side IMO.

Ruddy

R.Martin    Whitbread    Askou    Drury

Crofts

K.Smith         Lappin

Hoolahan     

Jackson   C.Martin

I just really hope we''re not going to have to watch Matt Gill in midfield.

oi careful with Matt Gill - he''s our lucky charm, hasn''t he now been at a club who have acheived promotion for the last 3 seasons, could he make it 4?

My team:

Ruddy

R Martin Whitbread Nelson Drury

Crofts

K Smith Lappin

McNamee

Jackson Johnson

I think we have to be careful a little bit with chopping and changing, we''re out of the xmas break now + we don''t have to play for another week, so would be good to keep the momentum up.

We''re not in any other competitions now apart from the league and the FA Cup, its not like we''re an Arsenal who are competing on 4 fronts and have the luxury of a 70 man squad, so I don''t really get those advocating for a complete overhaul.

Difficult, because it''s possible one or two other injured may be used, to start or from the bench. Could Ward be back, for instance?

It''s probably easier to suggest who could be rested.

It is difficult to see Holt being entirely rested, as we are pretty toothless without him, so I expect him to play earlier or later (if necessary). If they can find enough midfielddrs, the same could be true for Crofts, who has looked jaded, - replaced by Gill?

Drury could be rested, or play only part of the game, with Lappin pushed back for the other half.

Hooly could be rested if there is any doubt at all about his groin, with Cardiff coming up.

PL might want to rest Korey or Russell Martin, but who could replace them? I don''t like the idea of CBs playing at FB, - with the exception of Barnett ours are generally too slow.

I''m sorry, but there are too many permutations, even without altering the formation. I think that the following will play - Martin C, Lappin, Wilbraham, Whitbread, Ruddy Barnet or Nelson, but that''s barely half a team.

There are so many unknowns - players returning from injury, youngsters, degree of tiredness among key players..

I''m sorry

Mental work there The Great Drinkell, playing all three fit and in form centre backs in one game! And no recognised fullbacks! You Bielsa pal?

I''d like to see Macnamee, Daley, Dawkins, Oli and Jackson heavily involved. Lets get some fuggen pace on the pitch.

My predicted team, along with my thoughts on selection and the match can now be found on my blog. *cough* shameful self-promotion *cough*

http://splendidrush.blogspot.com

Have a looksie, see what you think and feel free to comment! Cheers!

[quote user="mikewalker"]

Mental work there The Great Drinkell, playing all three fit and in form centre backs in one game! And no recognised fullbacks! You Bielsa pal?

I''d like to see Macnamee, Daley, Dawkins, Oli and Jackson heavily involved. Lets get some fuggen pace on the pitch.

[/quote]

Not sure what this means? but I take your point, the reason I would play the 3 at the back would be cover for Rudd and we don''t want to be exposed.. I can''t see Orient playing with 3 men forward so we should be able to copy with Barnet and Nelson marking and Whitbread sweeping and starting the play from the back Nelson doesn''t do this and I''m not sure about Barnet.