Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

Holt's gaining a reputation

typical moaning from warnock, although i quite like him, he fails to mention that we could have won by 5 or 6, and i remember him saying after our 0-0 draw at their place that he thought we played as good as we could and that they can play better,

well i think we showed them today who is the better side

yep, Holt better beware as he may get the odd 50/50 go against him in the next few games...but you can''t teach a player like him to stop playing the way he does can you? Its brilliant isnt it?

BTW - I''m prob on my own here, but I like warnock...a proper football man who played the game, then ended up managing teams who play the game...

...i think you can say the same thing about warnock as zak123 said about our Holt.

[quote user="them2"]typical moaning from warnock, although i quite like him, he fails to mention that we could have won by 5 or 6, and i remember him saying after our 0-0 draw at their place that he thought we played as good as we could and that they can play better, well i think we showed them today who is the better side[/quote]

Good old Colin. He''s always the same.

True, Warnock is an excellent manager! (still prefer Lambert though)

I would also say the same about Paddy Kenny. People hate him, but he is very very good.

Warnock did sound more like he admired Holt and liked his style of play rather than being critical. Let''s not forget this is Warnock if he really disliked Holt and his style of play he''d of called Holt a ''Cheating Bast***d'' (or something along those lines) Warnock has been around long enough to understand the value of players like Holt, that''s why he''s ''Clever''.

I also liked Colin''s description of Carrow Road''s hostile crowd.

It''s true and we haven''t had the usual ''we have a poor atmosphere'' boring attention seekers on here for a while.

Proud to be a Yella !

I think it was more of a compliment, I waited around for a no after the final whistle and watched what Warmock did, he had a little moan at the ref but then shook players hands, he then headed towards the tunnel and stood on the edge of the pitch, as Holty came off he got a big shake of the hand and a pat on the backside?!?!

I then thought he was good value as he saluted the crowd who have him a bit of stick! I''m no Warnock fan as generally he''s a sore loser but I thought today he showed some humility and rightly so, we outplayed them and should have won by more than 1!

[quote user="Gareth"] Let''s not forget this is Warnock if he really disliked Holt and his style of play he''d of called Holt a ''Cheating Bast***d'' (or something along those lines)[/quote]

He has called him a cheat, they showed that interview on the football show.

He can''t talk about cheating though, as I posted before:

"He is nice enough when he is away from the club that he''s managing, but the problem that a lot of people (including myself) have with him is that he is the most unsporting manager - encourages his players to foul/dive if it will give them an advantage, slags off the referees, other managers and other team''s players, but won''t have a word said against his players even if they have just dived.

Some of the other things that he has been charged by the FA for:

Getting his assistant to ''spy'' on the opposing team''s half time talk

Encourage referees to send off opposing players

Ask his players to get sent off or feign injury to get a game abandoned (it worked: "the Football Association issue six charges relating to incidents during the Sheffield United match against West Brom. Warnock charged with improper conduct after the game is abandoned with the Blades reduced to six men and West Brom leading 3-0 in ’the Battle of Bramall Lane’." http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article2637525.ece)"

Love the quote on QPR site:

"Connolly saw red for a professional foul early in the second half, but only after Grant Holy had cleverly handled the ball to get clear of the former Arsenal man."

"Grant Holy!!

Dhickl,I posted that comment with the only evidence being the 1 min interview on the BBC site, I posted before the FLS had even broadcast and in the 1 min interview he sounded quite complimentry, this was of course eliminated by his spiel on the FLS  where he did call Holt a ''Cheating Bas***d'' and of course it was a load of crap. Whilst the ball did strike Holt''s arm  it was more due to the fact running requires the use of arms than anything deliberate.

Warnock knows that he''ll just get his wrists slapped by the FA but if he does get charged he''s probably managed to make referees look twice at everything involving Grant Holt.

Thats exactly why Colin did it Dylanisabaddog.  Holt does win more than his fair share of free kicks in 50/50s - he is just a clever old fashioned centre forward in that respect and with "Warnock Warnock you''re a C#*T" saying that refs will now take a harder look.

While on the subject of Holt, what a shift he put in yesterday.  Never stopped running and tracking back.  The new boy Wilbraham needs to take note.  A pretty lazy performance I thought

I think lazy is a bit harsh, it took him a while to pick up the pace of the game but once he did I thought he did ok. He did look like he had nothing left in the tank for the last 10 minutes before he came off though. He''s clearly not ''Norwich Fit'' yet.

Been thinking about this and my initial reaction was ''this is getting embarrassing'' with Holt falling over at the slightest sneeze and players being sent off as a result.

But, on deeper reflection I have no problem with it - as Warnock acknowledged, many other players do it and it''s been going on for ages. My concern was that ref''s will get wise and start not giving Holt decisions where there is any doubt. However, an important consideration is what it does to the thinking of his markers - any doubt, or worries that ''he''s going to go down if I touch him'' gives Holt the immediate upper hand, and when you''re talking about a goal-scoring opportunity that can be crucial.

I remember Andy Johnson gaining a similar reputation at Palace (different type of player I know), and it definitely didn''t do him or his team any harm.

OTBC

[quote user="Rich T"]I think it was more of a compliment, I waited around for a no after the final whistle and watched what Warmock did, he had a little moan at the ref but then shook players hands, he then headed towards the tunnel and stood on the edge of the pitch, as Holty came off he got a big shake of the hand and a pat on the backside?!?! I then thought he was good value as he saluted the crowd who have him a bit of stick! I''m no Warnock fan as generally he''s a sore loser but I thought today he showed some humility and rightly so, we outplayed them and should have won by more than 1![/quote]

Sitting as i do behind the home dugout i saw exactly the same as you Rich T. I thought Warnock behaved impeccably at the final whistle and showed more good grace than numerous others i could mention.On the odd occassion he acts as a pundit on TV i could put up with him any day in front of the current crop on both BBC and ITV.

I am concerned at what (within football) must be Holt''s ''reputation'' which is rapidly becoming very public. The boy has many attributes and has more than got back to very top form after a clearly lethargic spell in the September / October period. My worry is that all the accusations of cheating and being involved in sendings off (lets face it the Ipswich sending off was harsh in the extreme) will invariably lead to opponents becoming unnecessarily wound up and someone could well end up ''doing Holt''. If we were to lose him to a serious long term injury you can wave goodbye to the promotion bandwagon that does appear to be building up a hell of a momentum.    

I think we could well see the first of these waspy encounters in just three weeks time. We have a poor record at Bramall Lane and their crowd can be intimidating. All hell was kicking off in the last two or three minutes of the recent match here and they will be 100% up for the return. Don''t be surprised to see Holt get taken out in that game.

I have nothing against Holt''s physical approach to the game and as we know he''s a real inspiration and leader + being a damn good player when he wants to be.  We had a similar player in Iwan but he very rarely stayed the ....''other side of the line'' and I can''t remember him being involved in a string of incidents like Holt has been. Holt should keep on his feet and concentrate on letting his football do the talking.     

[quote user="Adam_2010"]Here''s the ''Battle of Bramall Lane'', truly disgusting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDsjY3uFdE[/quote]Thats just shocking

In the red cards in our matches it isn''t really all Holt.

Fryatt, Leicester: Stamp on Barnett

Crofts, Burnley: 2nd Booking.

Holt, Reading: 2 footed challenge, Rescinded.

Delaney, Ipswich: Professional Foul on Holt.

Barnett, Portsmouth: 2nd Booking.

Gunnarsson, Coventry: 2 footed challenge on Lansbury.

Quinn, Sheffield United: Punch on Russell Martin.

Connolly, QPR: Professional Foul on Holt.

That''s 8 red this season for which Holt was involved in 3, getting one himself.

But 7 reds in 10 matches probably will get us a reputation!

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I think we could well see the first of these waspy encounters in just three weeks time. We have a poor record at Bramall Lane and their crowd can be intimidating. All hell was kicking off in the last two or three minutes of the recent match here and they will be 100% up for the return. Don''t be surprised to see Holt get taken out in that game.

[/quote]You bet that this is going to be a steamy affair.  However our record is not all bad at Bramall Lane, expecially during the period with McVeigh - three was three seasons on the trot where WLY wound up their fans (getting one of their players sent off natch) but he kept on scoring and we kept on winning.  Holt can handle it!  In Lambert we trust.

did anyone have talk sport on at around 7:30 tonight ? they were talking about grant holt and they reckoned he was the best striker outside the premiership ! it was just the presenter and some ex footballer guest and they must have talked about norwich and holty in particular for 10 minutes or so [:O]

Was yesterday''s penalty shout the first example of a ref not giving us a decision because he doesn''t trust Holt?  I wasn''t at the game, but saw the TV highlights and it looked pretty clear cut to me...