Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Jackson is the new fall guy!!!!

cant believe what is being posted on here about Jackson!!!! so he is the new fall guy? get off his back!!! the guy needs a run of 10 games to bed in but hasnt had tyhat luxury, his pace is a real asset if used but we dont seem to do that. yesterday first 20 mins he made some good runs but nobody even looked up to try asnd find him. we also have to remember he has never played at this level before but that doesnt seem to matter with people on here, we need a new scapegoat and we seem to have found him!!

Jacko the new fall guy ?I think there are far more contenders for that  !! Both Martins, Holt, Ward are well ahed of Jacko.Frankly and honestly he does not impress me. He seems like a carbon copy of Cody Mac minus the bull dog attitude.At this level centre backs are gonna be big bruisers and attempt to intimidate strikers like Jacko. Something the Blades big guy did in the first 10. Jacko got barged over the railings and then seemed to wander back to Holt and then seemed content to sit in the Hole. I just don''t see him doing very much.  Considering that Holt and Martin both do a lot of hold up play I really dont think someone like Jackson ( or Cody ) will ever be starting XI as they dont fit the type of player Lambert likes.I would not be surprised to see Jackson go out on loan or wave farewell to Norwich if we got a couple more strikers in.

However....I do like being proven wrong ! So bring it, and I hope he scores  a hattrick off the bench vs QPR !

I''m afraid Jackson isn''t looking good enough. I''m afraid if he was given 10 matches in a row as you suggest he would cost us more points than he would win us and we would drop down the league table as fast as Ipswich.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago asking if Lambert has made a bad signing while at Norwich.  I''m afraid Jackson is looking it and unfortunately at 600k is also his most expensive signing. I feel that sort of money could have been spent better in the summer on a more proven championship striker.  We can''t afford to leave ourslves short in the striker dept come the end of the Jan transter window. We must get it right this time if we want to keep around the top 6.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I''m afraid Jackson isn''t looking good enough. I''m afraid if he was given 10 matches in a row as you suggest he would cost us more points than he would win us and we would drop down the league table as fast as Ipswich.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago asking if Lambert has made a bad signing while at Norwich.  I''m afraid Jackson is looking it and unfortunately at 600k is also his most expensive signing. I feel that sort of money could have been spent better in the summer on a more proven championship striker.  We can''t afford to leave ourslves short in the striker dept come the end of the Jan transter window. We must get it right this time if we want to keep around the top 6.

[/quote]

Agree, Jackson is no championship striker, Cody is Gills top scorer, and think that is his level too he will score plenty down there and be very happy with it too, bearing in mind he earned his pay swinging around scaffolding not to long ago and think we won''t be seeing him back here in a Norwich shirt.so perhaps The Gills would like to buy him

Nothing to do with being a fall guy. He''s been disappointing and much as I want him to do well it looks like he''s well short. Please let me be proved wrong but somehow I doubt it.

[quote user="baldyboy"]cant believe what is being posted on here about Jackson!!!! so he is the new fall guy? get off his back!!! the guy needs a run of 10 games to bed in but hasnt had tyhat luxury, [/quote]Whats with all this, 10 game bed in stuff?The game is far too cut-throat to allow for that sort of luxury nowadays. It was ok in the old days but now its a case of "you are only as good as your last game. It may seem cruel but if you want your team to achieve things then there is no room for sentiment. I have seen enough of Jackson to form the opinion that he is not a starter. The likes of Jackson, Macnamee, Ollie etc will only ever be impact players. We have all seen that when given starts they are incapable of a 90 minute performance let alone consistency week after week.Yuo may think my judgement is a tad harsh but its pretty obvious that PL doesn''t rate them as starters either.

Jacko looked a lot better when we reverted to 4-4-2 and his movement improved. My concern with him is his first touch - he just doesn''t seem to have one! The ball bounces off him so he can''t hold the ball up for the midfield to get to him.

Oh and one other thing he is nowhere near as clinical in front of goal as C.Martin.

I''m with the other on here who look forward to being proven wrong.

Jackson needs a break from ther starting line up as he hasn''t done much lately, although I don''t knock cause we need a squad and can be a useful sub!

The same as my opinion of Whitbread isn''t high but I''d rather he was fit and ready to play while hes still with us!

I wouldn''t write him off just yet, he''s clearly got ability and scored for fun with the Gills, I''m sure it''s just a case of him adapting to the Championship and to our style of play. To do that he needs minutes on the pitch and I''m sure Lambert''s recent formations with 3 up front against Coventry and Sheffield United have been designed to give him that time without putting pressure on him. It''s a shame he didn''t ''kick on'' after his Bristol City performance but a couple of goals and a bit of confidence and I reckon we''ll see a different player.

He was sharp in the 1st half v Pompey and made some good runs and got himself in to some excellent positions, he was just lacking composure at the vital moments. I didn''t go to Coventry but I wouldn''t say he was any worse than anyone else in the 1st half yesterday, it was a poor show all round.

Remember, Iwan didn''t have the greatest of 1st seasons with us either, it''s just a question of whether we can afford him the time he needs.

I''m not sure what to make of Jackson.  Every so often he comes into the team and is expected to do the business straight away but thats not going to happen.  Every player needs time to settle into the team and Jackson does not get this.  We can''t afford to give him a ten game run but he does need games.  He started against Coventry, Portsmouth and Sheffield United so he has a few games under his belt but three is not enough, if he starts the next few games we may see him kick on.  This team hasn''t really played with a quick, off the shoulder striker so they need time to adapt as well.

From what I''ve seen of Jackson he does get into a lot of good positions ready for a ball to be played through but no one has found him and played that killer ball.  How many times have we seen Jackson played through one on one?  Not many.  Jackson is a type of player who needs service because he is not a Holt who goes and creates chances himself and when he has played he has simply not had the service and the only way he will get the service is by the other players adapting to his style of play.  Just how many good chances have we seen Jackson have?  Not many and I think you will find that the chances he has had, he has put away.

Give him time, yes but, we can''t afford too much time.  I have faith with him because I think I can see potential but what do I know!  Sometimes players need a whole season to get the understanding of how we play and for the rest of the team to see how they play so lets not go saying we should send him on loan or buy lots of other strikers just yet.

I must be the only one to actually rate Jackson? He''s got great pace and makes very inteligent runs. He also has very good technique when striking a ball. He''s the sort of striker we''ve not had in ages.

IMO the problem is he doesnt have a strike partner to compliment his strenghts. Holt is very much dubbed as the old fasioned centre forward, but i dissagree with that description. Holt very much likes to run into the channels and behind the defence which doesnt help Jackson. Jackson requires the proper old fasioned centre forward who stays in the same position winning all the flickons etc, untill this player is here i think Jackson will continue to struggle.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I must be the only one to actually rate Jackson? He''s got great pace and makes very inteligent runs. He also has very good technique when striking a ball. He''s the sort of striker we''ve not had in ages. IMO the problem is he doesnt have a strike partner to compliment his strenghts. Holt is very much dubbed as the old fasioned centre forward, but i dissagree with that description. Holt very much likes to run into the channels and behind the defence which doesnt help Jackson. Jackson requires the proper old fasioned centre forward who stays in the same position winning all the flickons etc, untill this player is here i think Jackson will continue to struggle.[/quote]

Absolutely agree 100% with everything you have just said[Y][Y][Y]

Sorry but football is all about results nowadays and is very very competitive, even Holt would tell you that a forward has to score goals or he is dropped and there is plenty of competition out there!I feel Lambert has been quite generous with Jackson and given him lots of opportunities. Compare him to McNamee who takes on players and creates things for others and yet he still struggles to get in the side.To me Jackson reminds me a lot of Earnshaw however he lacks to date the ability to score regularly in this League. Personally I would loan him out for a month to get him match fit and hopefully knocking in the goals.

[quote user="CJ"]Sorry but football is all about results nowadays and is very very competitive, even Holt would tell you that a forward has to score goals or he is dropped and there is plenty of competition out there!I feel Lambert has been quite generous with Jackson and given him lots of opportunities. Compare him to McNamee who takes on players and creates things for others and yet he still struggles to get in the side.To me Jackson reminds me a lot of Earnshaw however he lacks to date the ability to score regularly in this League. Personally I would loan him out for a month to get him match fit and hopefully knocking in the goals.[/quote]

good points well made mate !Pretty much agree with that

My own view takes in good points made from many of the comments on here.

Jackson has looked lightweight and out of form in recent games.  However, I don''t think this is all down to Jackson alone.  He is the type of striker we have not had for some time (Earnshaw is a good comparison); his main asset is his pace and that can be used to great effect when through balls and flick ons are used to get him behind the defence, but these are not happening right now because the team are used to utilising other avenues of attack.

I think we are making tentative steps towards adapting our style of play that will eventually work to Jackson''s advantage.  Lambert has certainly been busy with formations and tactics to make us more unpredictable to the opposition from our tried and trusted diamond formation.  I think that he must also be working on how to get more penetration via various scenarios too.  Those at Coventry will recall that, rather than relying on a player to beat his man, we were passing the ball around and retaining posession probing for an opening (similar in philosophy if not quite the execution to Man Utd at their peak).

I trust Lambert will work on the Jackson situation and he will come good as our style of play adapts.  I agree that we can''t just stick with it, without adapting, and hope he comes good after 10 games.

Perhaps its a case of "feed the scapegoat and he will score!" 

Proof in the pudding that sometimes it''s worth exercising some patience with new players. They may just end up becoming a key cog in the promotion wheel ;)

Some of these comments are effin'' hilarious/stupid. My favourites are that PL had no faith in Jacko whatsoever or that he''s a poor version of Cody. A few sensible quotes about how we were beginning to adapt to Jacko and vice versa - proved to be very true in the end! I think more than anything though it''s his composure that''s been worked on and long may he bang them in for us!

Really pleased it''s working out for him. We could well be looking back at Lambert''s decision to bring him off the bench with the score at 3-0 against Scunthorpe as the most imortant decision of the season, great management from a great manager.

Just shows that Lambert knows far more about football than "expert" fans. Mind you, he was probably forced into perservering with Jackson through having no other striking options.

I always said if Jackson gets a decent run in the side, he will come good. Not only did he score a hatrick in a crucial game, but his link play was excellent too, superb performance and contribution to this season after so many wrote him off.

[quote user="alysha"]I always said if Jackson gets a decent run in the side, he will come good. Not only did he score a hatrick in a crucial game, but his link play was excellent too, superb performance and contribution to this season after so many wrote him off.[/quote]

That you did Alysha, as well as Smudger and one or two others including myself. It is quite satisfying to see him answering the armchair managers in such an emphatic fashion. For minutes played, he must surely be one of the best strikers in the Championship now I would think?. And as I remember us saying before, he''s a young footballer who''s constantly improving, and I''m sure would certainly be capable of putting the ball in the back of the net in the Premier League (should we get promoted of course ;))