Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Bernard Matthews

For years on this Board people have been crying out for a true local millionaire to invest in the club, and the only high profile one living nearby never saw reason to give a penny, neither in sponsorship, kind let alone hard cash.  A real missed PR trick from Mr Bootiful but there again he was a recluse supposedly (but loved having his face on the box?).  Contradiction or what.  Obviously not a football fan!

Would it have been any different if the club''s nickname had been The Turkey''s?  God that would have been unbearable.  Instead we have two other millionaires on the board - a chicken peddler and the nations favourite Poultry chef.  The club has gone to the birds anyway without any booty from Mr Matthews!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

For years on this Board people have been crying out for a true local millionaire to invest in the club, and the only high profile one living nearby never saw reason to give a penny, neither in sponsorship, kind let alone hard cash.  A real missed PR trick from Mr Bootiful but there again he was a recluse supposedly (but loved having his face on the box?).  Contradiction or what.  Obviously not a football fan!

Would it have been any different if the club''s nickname had been The Turkey''s?  God that would have been unbearable.  Instead we have two other millionaires on the board - a chicken peddler and the nations favourite Poultry chef.  The club has gone to the birds anyway without any booty from Mr Matthews!

[/quote]

During the darkest days of the Chase Out campaign following Martin O''Neill''s departure, some fans (it may have been NCISA and/or Roy Blower) wrote to Bernard Matthews appealing for financial help.  They received a letter from his secretary saying "Mr Matthews has asked me to inform you that he has no interest in football".

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="paul moy"]This guy indeed would have been a true legend if he had invested in our club. He missed a big opportunity there IMO. If I''d have had his money I would have tried to spend it all before I die rather than allow it to end up in the grubby mits of the Inland Revenue and HMG who will probably waste it anyway.  [/quote]

Maybe he has family that he wanted to leave it to??

rip Mr Matthews.

[/quote]

Indeed, but he could have handed it over to relatives more than seven years before he died, and the money that he would now be paying tax on in inheritance tax could have been given to the club. Thus he would have paid no tax by taking that path and the club would have benefited by millions. Just a thought..

By all accounts like many other mega wealthy persons he wasn''t a nice person face to face and also he had little interest in Norwich City FC!

But I accept you don''t get to where he did by being a nice person and he certainly helped to put Norfolk on the map!

You never know he may surprise everyone and give Norwich City something in his will! 

BM was a successful and intelligent businessman. For that reason alone he chose not to invest in a struggling football team who''s future was uncertain. So what?

I live up north and to many BM passing has been a bit of a joke. "Was it really the man off the adverts?" etc

I''ve been liking his passing to a coal-pit closing (not entirely accurate - i know), but his business provided a livelihood to many for  decades and hopefully will continue to do so.

If I was a multimillionairre would I invest in the club never to see the money again for fans who are never happy to just ask for more?

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]

If I was a multimillionairre would I invest in the club never to see the money again for fans who are never happy to just ask for more?

[/quote]Don''t forget that "Delia" is an anagram of "Satan".

The family of Bernard Matthews all sat down whilst the head of the family spoke ''I''ve got some good news and some bad news, the bad news is Bernard has died, the good news is we have roast beef for tea''