Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Bernard Matthews

Just heard the sad news on Talksport that he has died aged 80. I wonder whether he has any Norwich supporting relatives that may be bequeathed a financial windfall.  

Love him or hate him he was an iconic Norfolk figure who brought a good deal of industry and jobs to the region during what was a relatively bleak period.

Sad day indeed and my thoughts go out to his family.

Agree entirely with CharlieFarlie...

A true Norfolk icon, and his death is very sad news for the county.

Everywhere you go, you see ''Bernard Matthews'' turkers!

goodbye turkey man

though i never knew you at all

i trespassed your estate loads

and fished your many ponds

your guards were all old men

and i was on a bmx

my grandad always loathed you

and threatened arson on your sheds

and it seemed to me you lived your life

like a multi-millionaire recluse

never investing in norwich city

when itv digital collapsed

but your turkey drummers will always sell here

kids love that breadcrumbed muck

your candle burned out long before

this christmas earned a few more bucks

This guy indeed would have been a true legend if he had invested in our club. He missed a big opportunity there IMO. If I''d have had his money I would have tried to spend it all before I die rather than allow it to end up in the grubby mits of the Inland Revenue and HMG who will probably waste it anyway.  

[quote user="paul moy"]This guy indeed would have been a true legend if he had invested in our club. He missed a big opportunity there IMO. If I''d have had his money I would have tried to spend it all before I die rather than allow it to end up in the grubby mits of the Inland Revenue and HMG who will probably waste it anyway.  [/quote]

im sure a man of his wealth has money in all sorts of different off shore acounts and the govt wont take a fraction of it.

A local legend, responsible for helping to forever link the words "Norfolk" and "bootiful" but I guess I can forgive him for that! Thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

[quote user="morty"]I have to admit I have always wondered why he didn''t invest some money in the Canaries.[/quote]He preferred  bigger birds with dark legs I reckon

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"]I have to admit I have always wondered why he didn''t invest some money in the Canaries.
[/quote]

He preferred  bigger birds with dark legs I reckon
[/quote]

So do I. Don''t knock it !!!!    

we all speculate as to why Bernard never invested in city but then assume he had an interest in football...was he ever seen at Carrow Road? has the club ever had a bernerd matthews related sponsor?

His family aren''t happy.

Following a number of bad years recently for the business they will only inherit a poultry amount.

His family arent happy.

Following a number of bad years recently for the business they will only inherit a poultry amount.

James Blunt does an Elton John and re-releases Yer Bootiful

at 20 minutes per kilogramme his cremation is expected to take 27 hours

ironic he died on Thanksgiving

I also once worked for him and although he was not always popular, you have to admire him for what he achieved.  He had a good run living to 80 and brought a fair few jobs (and immigrants) to our County - thanks Bernard.

If he has bequeathed any money to City it will be a ''feather'' in his cap, give us a ''leg'' up and we won''t go ''down'', otherwise we could be ''plucked''. [:D]

Sad day, given that Stephen Fry was on the point of tying up a deal with dear Bernard to bring out a range of quality foods that were based around the Bernard Mathews range.

The idea was to have a trial run in Delia''s restaurant and be marketed as -

Frys Turky ish Deliaghts

.........well, it is friday

[quote user="paul moy"]This guy indeed would have been a true legend if he had invested in our club. He missed a big opportunity there IMO. If I''d have had his money I would have tried to spend it all before I die rather than allow it to end up in the grubby mits of the Inland Revenue and HMG who will probably waste it anyway.  [/quote]

Maybe he has family that he wanted to leave it to??

rip Mr Matthews.

Yes, it was interesting that he died on Thanksgiving Day. If turkey''s did irony they would love that.

I can only remember one game where matthews sponsored a City game and it was a home cup match against Man City. It was highlight-televised and we got well beaten. Every time a Manc goal went in some idiot in a turkey costume jumped up and down behind the River End goal. It set back the reputation of Norfolk 20 years and was toe curlingly embarassing.

Matthews was apparently generous to local people and is probably a national hero in Portugal.