Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Local derby, the potential for the atmosphere to spill over onto the pitch makes games like this potentially difficult to handle.

Keith Hill got off to a good start courtesy of Grant Holt wading in with a poor challenge which rightly got him booked. In games like this it is good to start off with a ''tight lead on proceedings'' which can always be relaxed if the players allow it. He hadled this early flashpoint well, which allowed him to set out his stall early on. City had a shout for a penalty in the first half but being at the other end I didn''t have a clear view although someone watching on the tele texed me to say it shoud have been given (some you get some you don''t). Mr Hill had no option but to send off the Ipswich player who comitted the foul as ''the last man'', and continued to allow the game to flow. There were other cards which all looked to be correct to me, and surprisingly there was no time wasting this week !

The only black mark on a very good performance came towards the end of the game, insted of booking Jackson I felt he should have had the penalty - I am basing this on some of the other decisions where I felt Holt and Martin were both guilty of falling over only to be given a free kick.

Keith Hill - Good, dealt with the major issues and kept the game moving - Best performance of the season so far 8

Agree with this Wazzy.The refs always get slagged off but credit where it''s due. He kept the game moving and handled the flashpoints well. I thought Holt deserved his booking and might have been a bit fortunate not to have been sent off.Thought the four minutes added on in the first half was a bit generous but, other than what looked a harsh booking for Jackson for his '' dive '', I thought he got most decisions right. Regarding time wasting it was a pleasant change to not have much. If anything City players were most guilty of this, especially when being subbed, but in Grant Holt''s case I think the ref would have turned a blind eye had he done a lap of honour when it was his turn to go.Local derbies need a strong refereee and I think this one left the layers in no doubt who was the boss. Thank God we didn''t get Mr Oliver for this one....

I''d echo the sentiments already shared about this ref. A local derby, especially ours, needs an experienced referee and, for once, the FA didn''t let us down. The game flowed really well and the free kicks were almost alternate. Maybe this one ought to mentor new refs instead as he has displayed the qualities of good referreeing.