Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Todays Player Ratings

In all honesty:Our defence looked solid for the first time in a long time.Lansbury needs to play centre mid, which is bad news for Hoolahan, but good news for Macnamee and Smith as I think a midfield of Surman, Croft, Lansbury, Smith/McNamee will be our go to from now on.Holt was immense.To be fair to Ipswich; we got screwed by a red card two weeks ago which lost us two points, and as good as we were, a lucky but undeserved red card helped us gain the extra two in this game.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]In all honesty:

Our defence looked solid for the first time in a long time.
Lansbury needs to play centre mid, which is bad news for Hoolahan, but good news for Macnamee and Smith as I think a midfield of Surman, Croft, Lansbury, Smith/McNamee will be our go to from now on.
Holt was immense.

To be fair to Ipswich; we got screwed by a red card two weeks ago which lost us two points, and as good as we were, a lucky but undeserved red card helped us gain the extra two in this game.
[/quote]

We definately got the rub of the green with the red card, however i feel we would have still gone o to win. Ipswich looked disjointed and clueless, there defence was an absolute joke!!

Lansbury needs to play centre mid, which is bad news for Hoolahan, but good news for Macnamee and Smith as I think a midfield of Surman, Croft, Lansbury, Smith/McNamee will be our go to from now on.
Holt was immense.

To be fair to Ipswich; we got screwed by a red card two weeks ago which lost us two points, and as good as we were, a lucky but undeserved red card helped us gain the extra two in this game.
[/quote]

Why does Lansbury "need" to play centre mid?

I thought it was nice having someone on the right side of midfield with a footballing brain.

Crofts and Fox did well in the centre and Hoolahan (either from the start or coming on) can give us a different dimension.

To be honest I think the ref clearly favoured Ipswich. There were two 50-50 decisions which went our way. Holt''s early challenge is usually a yellow card, but I''ve seen red cards given for them and the sending off could have been a yellow or a red.

Balanced against that we should have had TWO absolutely clear cut stonewall penalties. And to make it worse he even booked Jackson for diving when he had clearly been pulled down. And Norris should definitely have been sent off. I expect a lot of people missed it, but after our third goal he hammered the ball into the City Stand in a clear show of dissent. He had already been booked, but the ref lacked the bottle to send him off.

I think the thirsty lizard''s had a few. The two 50-50 incidents you refer to changed the game. I think they were both 3/4 of a red card, and we were lucky that Holt stayed on the pitch.

The Jackson incident was a blatant dive.

We definitely got the rub of the green today.

But I came on here to give Russell Martin a 10. Have been critical of him in the past but I thought he had his best game for City today.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]To be honest I think the ref clearly favoured Ipswich. There were two 50-50 decisions which went our way. Holt''s early challenge is usually a yellow card, but I''ve seen red cards given for them and the sending off could have been a yellow or a red. Balanced against that we should have had TWO absolutely clear cut stonewall penalties. And to make it worse he even booked Jackson for diving when he had clearly been pulled down. And Norris should definitely have been sent off. I expect a lot of people missed it, but after our third goal he hammered the ball into the City Stand in a clear show of dissent. He had already been booked, but the ref lacked the bottle to send him off.[/quote]

They were not stonewall penalties at all. The ref was correct.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="CantonsHero"]In all honesty:Our defence looked solid for the first time in a long time.Lansbury needs to play centre mid, which is bad news for Hoolahan, but good news for Macnamee and Smith as I think a midfield of Surman, Croft, Lansbury, Smith/McNamee will be our go to from now on.Holt was immense.To be fair to Ipswich; we got screwed by a red card two weeks ago which lost us two points, and as good as we were, a lucky but undeserved red card helped us gain the extra two in this game.[/quote]

We definately got the rub of the green with the red card, however i feel we would have still gone o to win. Ipswich looked disjointed and clueless, there defence was an absolute joke!!

[/quote]Spot on, if anything them being down to 10 made it harder because they sat back more and were difficult to break down.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think the thirsty lizard''s had a few. The two 50-50 incidents you refer to changed the game. I think they were both 3/4 of a red card, and we were lucky that Holt stayed on the pitch.

The Jackson incident was a blatant dive.

We definitely got the rub of the green today.

But I came on here to give Russell Martin a 10. Have been critical of him in the past but I thought he had his best game for City today.[/quote]There was an easily worse challenge on Lansbury later on in the game in

all fairness that only received a yellow. His studs were not up, it

wasn''t from behind, it wasn''t a malicious tackle, and i believe he got

the ball before the man (though i''ll be sure to inspect that further on

the highlights).And for any ''off the ball'' incidents after his

challenge that may have resulted in a second yellow, it was only Ipswich players initiating any malice that could

of possibly led to any further bookings. They were all hyped up at the

start, and the ref took the most appropriate action without being daftly

ruthless, or we could have had an incomparably more chaotic game (note;

worst thing to do in such a heated derby, refs worldwide know the value

of treating such situations calmly).What i mean by that is Holt

was never going to receive a debatable red card on the back of such a

foul so early into a derby, and you''ll find less than a handful of refs

in the world that would dare pull out a red card under those circumstances.As for the Jackson incident, it was ''blatantly not a dive''. He''s clearly pulled, the Ipswich defender tackles with one leg in front of Jacksons, with another in between, resulting in a tangle that''ll put any man running at full tilt on the ground.

In my mind, good man-management from the ref today, he dealt with potentially volatile circumstances effectively, though his guilt for Ipswich that influenced his later decisions, whether it be due to the scoreline or the fact Ipswich were down to 10 men, disrupted a performance that would of otherwise been nigh-on perfect for the officials otherwise.

Good shout Russell Martin was excellent, Holt will take the headlines, had he not have got the third I''d give MOM to Russell Martin.

[quote user="Europe_93"]Good shout Russell Martin was excellent, Holt will take the headlines, had he not have got the third I''d give MOM to Russell Martin.[/quote]Agree, deserved the captain''s armband when Holt went off. CN1Fan - only a 7? In a minority there!

Russell Martin had a good game but lets be honest for most of the match he had nobody to mark and had the freedom of the pitch. I thought Surman had a mediocre game possibly influenced by the bad knock early on.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Europe_93"]Good shout Russell Martin was excellent, Holt will take the headlines, had he not have got the third I''d give MOM to Russell Martin.[/quote]

Agree, deserved the captain''s armband when Holt went off. CN1Fan - only a 7? In a minority there!
[/quote]

Sorry meant to put an 8. But he wasn''t in my top three performers today (Holt, Fox and Lansbury).

Holt was immense.

[/quote]Agree for the greater part with this, just our defending of free-kicks and corners still isn''t completely up to scratch yet... sorry for this slightly negative comment...but it is the only one to give... for the rest it was flawless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OTBC!

after we went one up they did take the game to us, all down our left flank.  Scotland was causing us problems and their midfield was gaining the upper hand - without actually creating chances.

Where we did look vulnerable was to set pieces. Fortunately in the second half we stopped conceeding free kicks just inside our own half and so we were never threatened.

However the goal we did conceeded was yet another example of lax defending from the central pairing - Barnett never got off the ground and ward lost his man.  Holt did also but his man did not really play a part.  It was the same time and again in this match - and has cost us points in previous games.

It is the one thing we really need to tighten up on.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

after we went one up they did take the game to us, all down our left flank.  Scotland was causing us problems and their midfield was gaining the upper hand - without actually creating chances.

Where we did look vulnerable was to set pieces. Fortunately in the second half we stopped conceeding free kicks just inside our own half and so we were never threatened.

However the goal we did conceeded was yet another example of lax defending from the central pairing - Barnett never got off the ground and ward lost his man.  Holt did also but his man did not really play a part.  It was the same time and again in this match - and has cost us points in previous games.

It is the one thing we really need to tighten up on.

[/quote]spot on Zipper, if we need to sign someone or some sort of player it is a centre back who is really good at defending set pieces! Hope PL has got his eye on somebody

[quote user="John"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think the thirsty lizard''s had a few. The two 50-50 incidents you refer to changed the game. I think they were both 3/4 of a red card, and we were lucky that Holt stayed on the pitch. The Jackson incident was a blatant dive. We definitely got the rub of the green today. But I came on here to give Russell Martin a 10. Have been critical of him in the past but I thought he had his best game for City today.[/quote]

There was an easily worse challenge on Lansbury later on in the game in all fairness that only received a yellow. His studs were not up, it wasn''t from behind, it wasn''t a malicious tackle, and i believe he got the ball before the man (though i''ll be sure to inspect that further on the highlights).

And for any ''off the ball'' incidents after his challenge that may have resulted in a second yellow, it was only Ipswich players initiating any malice that could of possibly led to any further bookings. They were all hyped up at the start, and the ref took the most appropriate action without being daftly ruthless, or we could have had an incomparably more chaotic game (note; worst thing to do in such a heated derby, refs worldwide know the value of treating such situations calmly).

What i mean by that is Holt was never going to receive a debatable red card on the back of such a foul so early into a derby, and you''ll find less than a handful of refs in the world that would dare pull out a red card under those circumstances.

As for the Jackson incident, it was ''blatantly not a dive''. He''s clearly pulled, the Ipswich defender tackles with one leg in front of Jacksons, with another in between, resulting in a tangle that''ll put any man running at full tilt on the ground.

In my mind, good man-management from the ref today, he dealt with potentially volatile circumstances effectively, though his guilt for Ipswich that influenced his later decisions, whether it be due to the scoreline or the fact Ipswich were down to 10 men, disrupted a performance that would of otherwise been nigh-on perfect for the officials otherwise.
[/quote]

John, I didn''t have a great view of Holt''s challenge, but from where I was it looked like studs-up, through the back of the player. Quite happy to admit I was wrong about that when I see it on the telly. Totally accept your point about the ref taking the most appropriate action so early in the game, but that in itself is an interesting point. Time was when bookings and red-cards used to be used to keep control of the game, and to send a player off was essentially an admission that the ref had lost control. Now, after managers'' witless bleatings about consistency, refs are not prepared to use common sense, which is why I expected Holt to be sent off.

But I can''t accept your reading of the Jackson incident. It was right in front of me, and Simeon was looking for nothing other than a penalty - he crumpled well before anyone tackled him. It was stupid, becuase if he had kept going for goal, he probably would have been fouled. But he went down far too easily and the ref got it spot on if you ask me.

Great avatar by the way. Wibble.