Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

What our competition is thinking about their season

This is the main reason football is in such a mess.

A club with NO MONEY virtual administration, now looking to add 5 players in January for a big push!

They should sit well with all the other near bankrupt prem teams.

[quote user="The Butler"]

A club with NO MONEY virtual administration, now looking to add 5 players in January for a big push!

[/quote]

Cardiff have money now, they were taken over by a Malaysian group in the summer who have put a considerable amount of money into the club (hence the ability to pay Bellamy''s wages).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Cardiff have money now, they were taken over by a Malaysian group in the summer who have put a considerable amount of money into the club (hence the ability to pay Bellamy''s wages).

[/quote]

---

Bethnal may have more up to date information but I''ve never seen any figures for what that Malaysian consortium may or may not have put into the club in terms of new money, which was £30m in debt when it was taken over. The one certainty is that Cardiff are not paying Bellamy''s wages. They are, according to the consensus, only paying about one-third of his wages.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

---

Bethnal may have more up to date information but I''ve never seen any figures for what that Malaysian consortium may or may not have put into the club in terms of new money, which was £30m in debt when it was taken over. The one certainty is that Cardiff are not paying Bellamy''s wages. They are, according to the consensus, only paying about one-third of his wages.

[/quote]

I know the new consortium cleared all of Cardiff''s debts and have made some money available for new players. I''m not sure how much as the board have rather sensible not gone around shouting how much money they have and forcing prices up.

Although Cardiff may only be paying a third of Bellamy''s wages, that is still considerably more than Norwich, or most other Championship clubs, are paying any of their players.

I didn''t know this either but Beth is a reliable poster.

Shame because I was expecting them to sell players in January based on what their CE had to say when Bellars signed on loan.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I know the new consortium cleared all of Cardiff''s debts and have made some money available for new players.

[/quote]I''m very interested in how you ''know that'' Bethnal.

In a joint statement from their SupportersTrust and their Supporters Club in March they estimated the debt at almost £40m. This included £24m owed to Sam Hamman''s company ''Langston'' where he has agreed to a settlement of £10m if paid by the end of December.

All the reports I can find suggest the Malasians have invested £6m into the club so far and the rest of the debt has been restructured.

I can''t find anything that remotely suggests all of their debts have been cleared.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I know the new consortium cleared all of Cardiff''s debts and have made some money available for new players.

In a joint statement from their SupportersTrust and their Supporters Club in March they estimated the debt at almost £40m. This included £24m owed to Sam Hamman''s company ''Langston'' where he has agreed to a settlement of £10m if paid by the end of December.

All the reports I can find suggest the Malasians have invested £6m into the club so far and the rest of the debt has been restructured.

I can''t find anything that remotely suggests all of their debts have been cleared.

[/quote]

---

That accords with what I''ve read, lappin. Cardiff have certainly settled some or all of their tax/PAYE debt and some or all of their debt to other football clubs. But the vast majority of the debt came from this deal involving Langston and Sam Hamman. Cardiff were supposed to have started paying off that debt but not long ago (according to the BBC) it was still as high as £15m.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

That accords with what I''ve read, lappin. Cardiff have certainly settled some or all of their tax/PAYE debt and some or all of their debt to other football clubs. But the vast majority of the debt came from this deal involving Langston and Sam Hamman. Cardiff were supposed to have started paying off that debt but not long ago (according to the BBC) it was still as high as £15m.

[/quote]Digging a bit deeper, even the £1.3m tax bill wasn''t paid in full. The clubs own website on the 08-07-10 proudly announced........

"Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that we have paid month one of our HMRC tax bill," read Jenkins'' statement.

"For the avoidance of doubt, the PAYE tax bill is a monthly issue that we continually endeavour to pay on time."

http://newscdn.bbc.net.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8802876.stm

Seems a strange thing for a football club to announce when it should be taken as a foregone conclusion.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I was told this by fomer colleagues of mine who works for a large newspaper in East Asia and he was running a story regarding the recent investments into Championship clubs by Asian groups (Plymouth, Leicester and Cardiff). He was informed that the Cardiff debts were being cleared, it might be that they are just asorbing the debts into a holding company, I''m not sure. The debts could just be the money owned to Langston, again I''m not sure. But what was made clear is that Cardiff are probably better off than they are letting on, and that they will be making a serious push to be in the Premier League next season -- it could all be spin. To be honest, Cardiff and QPR are probably going to be the top two this year and everyone else will be fighting for play-off places.

He also said that the group who now own Leicester are probably going to invest some serious money in time for the January transfer window, but also have some strange ideas about building an "Asia United" team, with players from Thailand, Korea, China and Japan etc. I imagine these plans will fall foul of the squad registration rules as well as being able to obtain work permits for some players.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I was told this by fomer colleagues of mine who works for a large newspaper in East Asia and he was running a story regarding the recent investments into Championship clubs by Asian groups (Plymouth, Leicester and Cardiff). He was informed that the Cardiff debts were being cleared, it might be that they are just absorbing the debts into a holding company, I''m not sure. The debts could just be the money owned to Langston, again I''m not sure.

[/quote]

So if you didn''t actually have a clue what the position was why a few posts ago did you state without any qualification at all something that would have taken you only a couple of minutes to discover wasn''t true?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I was told this by fomer colleagues of mine who works for a large newspaper in East Asia and he was running a story regarding the recent investments into Championship clubs by Asian groups (Plymouth, Leicester and Cardiff). He was informed that the Cardiff debts were being cleared, it might be that they are just absorbing the debts into a holding company, I''m not sure. The debts could just be the money owned to Langston, again I''m not sure.

[/quote]

So if you didn''t actually have a clue what the position was why a few posts ago did you state without any qualification at all something that would have taken you only a couple of minutes to discover wasn''t true?

[/quote]

I didn''t go into detailed discussion about how the debts were being cleared or the exact details, as I wasn''t that interested. But was told that Cardiff have cleared their debts. There are many ways for a club to remove the debts, some ways just break the debt up and move it around to holding companies - it will still remove the liability from the club and allow them to borrow more money to bring in new players. The statement relased by the Cardiff supporter''s (not club) was in March, I was told about the Cardiff debts last month so was working on newer information. When the article about Asian investment in English (and Welsh) football is finished I will read it and see what it says and let you know. If it is true or not will come clear in time.

This thread does raise a couple of interesting points.....

If Cardiff are promoted, will the Premier League accept them coming under the Welsh FA''s jurisdiction over bans and fines etc?

Will the Premier League clubs agree to a Welsh team taking an English clubs place if they qualify for Europe?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Shame because I was expecting them to sell players in January based on what their CE had to say when Bellars signed on loan.

[/quote]

Nutty, I''m not convinced yet that Cardiff can sustain their "automatic" position. Jones looks like he''s "making a case" publically. If real support is going on behind the scenes then why the need for him to go public. Further, as I said previously, their form over the past five games shows them slipping rather than sustaining. Jones points out in the article that not being able to invest in last January''s window proved to be a crucial factor in missing out on promotion. No one knows whether this is accurate or not of course. It''s football and new players may or may not produce the goods. What we do know is that Cardiff were not competing for that final spot against a big name club that had made large investment in January, but rather against Blackpool where Holloway was getting every ounce out of the players at his disposal. 

I hate most things, but really do hate them. It''s absurd that they get told off by the friking Welsh Sweet FA. They never get the right punishments and they shouldn''t be allowed to buy or loans players when they still owe other clubs and have debts they can''t service. Yes we have debts, but we can pay them. Clubs like Cardif and Pompey, oh and Ipshit are a joke, they get that much debt and still able to buy new. They should be made to pay every penny and there should be a percentage allowed for there transfer budget.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, I''m not convinced yet that Cardiff can sustain their "automatic" position. Jones looks like he''s "making a case" publically. If real support is going on behind the scenes then why the need for him to go public. Further, as I said previously, their form over the past five games shows them slipping rather than sustaining. Jones points out in the article that not being able to invest in last January''s window proved to be a crucial factor in missing out on promotion. No one knows whether this is accurate or not of course. It''s football and new players may or may not produce the goods. What we do know is that Cardiff were not competing for that final spot against a big name club that had made large investment in January, but rather against Blackpool where Holloway was getting every ounce out of the players at his disposal. 

[/quote]

You''re right Yankee, even without selling they still may not sustain their automatic place. Their manager is a big factor in this thinking. He spent a fortune before the year we beat Woves in the play-offs after they threw away a huge lead to lose their auto place. I doubt Jones ever get''s every ounce out of the players at his disposal in the same way Holloway or dare I say Lambert does.