Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Sunderland Fiasco!!!

What would you do?. Sky Television are coming to your ground, and with severe weather warnings for your area, install hot air covers? a la Binners or chance the fates?.

I find it ludicrous that the alleged state of the art ''Stadium of light'' has no undersoil heating in this day and age.

Now the wizard, being by nature a cynical creature, wonders just how much effort really went into putting this game on, after all did not Sunderland just play a hard fought cup replay against Birmingham midweek?. I would not dare accuse them of shady practice''s here, but its rather handy for them with regards to recovering ain''t it?.

Of course NW, the Team, and no doubt some supporters have had a wasted trip, hardly good preperation for West Brom either!.

completely agree with you mr wizard. suits them far more than us not to have a game today. they got as far as leeds on the coach this morning before turning round. not happy. on the bright side i guess it will be ok preparation for the baggies since they won''t have had a hard game today. But it just means another midweek game to fit in somewhere.

Think it was more down to local road conditions, Health & safety and a Police warning "Do not travel" that forced the club to call the game off rather than some conspiracy. However on the bright side , it does mean that our boys get a rest before playing West Brom on Tuesday.

Hi 1st Wiz, I am a North-East based Canary and road conditions around the area are terrible. We have had over 6 inches or snow overnight, on top of yesterdays snow and ice.

Sunderland have said that the ground would be cleared in time, but I''m telling you, no one would have got there to see it.

Local police are advising people not to go anywhere today.

Can''t reallistically blame SAFC for this postponement.

Cheers,

Disco Dale

i agree wizard these so call big clubs with with these big new stadiums don''t have the forsite to put in undersoil heating some body somewhere has not done his homework in north east when building the stadium!!maybe all premier and first division clubs should have undersoil heating as a criteria to be in these divisions?ok it mite have snowed but at least the pitch would be playable and the many city supporters in this case would have a game of football to watch and not some lame excuse that the pitch is covered in snow.Just to add to this years ago games got played so what has changed now ?

I see your point Wiz. But to be fair they have had 12 inches (yes 12) of snow in the North East. Not even under soil heating could cope with that. It''s probably not just the ground too but the surrounding area, roads etc

saw your post fred after i posted .Sunderland council should have done more to make the area around the ground safe weather warnings must have been in place for a few days so they could have made the necessary provision to try and make the surrounding areas safe.The inside of the stadia must be covered and is all seated so this must not cause a problem.With sky TV there every thing possable should have been in place to get the game played!!

Take your point as always DD, but this has happened at the binners before and their ''tent'' seemed to cope well, as did the surrounding paths.

As for the roads, thats debateable, why does this country always seem to grind to a halt these''s days when the white stuff drops?. Ah, I remember the good old days standing on a snow covered river end, paths icy as well, but the games usually went on, abeit with the help of an army of supporters helping to clear the snow away!. Happy days.

If the spirits willing.................

there is a picture posted on http://carrowroad.net/community/index.php
of the road conditions around the stadium of light, it does look bad

I have had an nightmare last night. First we had arranged to fly to newcastle, all well and good thought have a few beers and have a good weekend but...... got to the airport and the flight was delayed, and delayed and delayed. Then at 12:30 am (2 hours after we should had landed at newcastle) the good people at easyjet cancelled the flight!!!!!. We then found 3 ramdom city fans packed the car out and drove up to newcastle. Got there at 6 am!! had two hours sleep only to wake to find out the game had been cancelled, but nevermind i`ve decided to stay here for the weekend and get very drunk as they say "when in Rome" us football fans we are all mad thinking about it but it`s great. on the ball city.

It is a real disappointment because I think it would have been a great time to play them as they had a pretty gruelling tie mid-week. Am guessing it will be re-arranged for a couple of tuesdays away? 9th possibly? Unfortunatley this will clash with the Champions League so I can''t see it being on sky again. C''est la vie

Not sure where you got the idea that there was no under-soil heating at the Stadium of Light. The following is taken from details of the pitch on safc.com:

"The under-soil heating, which is used to keep the frost out of the pitch and also stop the snow settling on the surface, is situated at the bottom of the lower rootzone. This means that the hot water in the pipes, which is up to 30''C when it leaves the boil under the stands, does not get the roots of the grass too hot which will dry them out and cause them to die. Electronic sensors in the pitch to tell us how hot the rootzone is and how much moisture is present. When we use the heating system we make sure that the upper rootzone does not get hotter than 10''C. If it gets too dry the pitch can be watered with the irrigation system."

I do agree, it does seem a bit strange that Sunderland call of a game, with the club top of the league, after playing a tough game in mid-week. It all seems to convinient. I''ve just seen the pictures of the Stadium of Light on the news and the roads around it really don''t look that bad. I was on the coaches this morning and had to get up at 3am only to get to Ferrybridge services and be told the game was called off. As someone said, it''s along way to go for breakfast and expensive. I think the club did reall well to refund coach tickets aswell as the game tickets. But I still think that if the game had been a 3pm kick-off, or even 5:30pm if they wanted it to be on sky, the game would have gone ahead.