Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

holty .. bigger legend than iwan ?

Honestly, he''s on his way to it, though i feel it would undervalue the 6 years of service Iwan gave this club to let it fritter away in the midst of someone who has only been here for over a year, with much of that time spent against comparably weaker opposition in League One.Happy to see we''re debating this rather than whether we should drop Holt for a Jackson/Martin combo, or whether he can cut it in the Championship, or whether he''s even important to the team anymore though. My contempt for those arguments was frankly such that i didn''t bother attempting to debate them for fear of the lengthy hours i''d spend unleashing against them; nothing short of ridiculous they were.

7 years of service and close to 100 goals,

18 months and 39 goals, long way to go yet but he''s certainly got the makings of a legend.

Grant Holt is up there but I''d suggest he has a bit more service to give before he''s talked about alongside others.

bigger legend??Holt will be a hall of fame player.His impact on getting us out of League 1 and a hat trick against the scum will always give him a place in our hearts.Already an important player for us and who knows whats to come?doesn''t detract from Iwans status theres room for them both in our history

I have to agree with White Van Man. It''s not a case of who is bigger there is room for them both much the same as there''s room for Keelan and Gunn, Newsome and Fleming, Huckerby and Gordon, Iwan and Terry Bly.

All have a place in our history that is well earned.

If Holt becomes a bigger legend it''s only because he''s the most recent and memories fade with time.

Davo

Jon Newsome is most definitely not a legend. Good player, got injured, didn''t play too many games, relegation season etc etc.

It''s like saying Ashley Ward is our best ever striker

Yeah, must agree Newsome was a strange one to put amongst the other ''legends''

For me, Jon Polston would be a better one.  legend.

For me, the likes of Iwan and Hucks are a step above other modern day legends. But I think we can count Holty among players like Sutton, Eadie and Gossy. Cult figures for us, but not quite legendary.

Holt will never replace Iwan but he might join him. Iwan was a fantastic servant to the club and Holt has the opportunity to become the same, I hope he sees out his career with us and scores another shed load against the Binners.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="Davo"]

Apologies I was thinking of Rob Newman.

Davo

[/quote]

Still not a Legend.
[/quote]

Newman played 200 times for our club. He was involved in pretty much our most successful team. He was also part of the side that achieved one of the greatest nights in our history. I would consider him a legend. As a child of the 80''s and early 90''s he was part of them team that were my idol''s growing up and only Fleming and Malky have come close since.

Davo

[quote user="Kent Canary"]Holt will never replace Iwan but he might join him. Iwan was a fantastic servant to the club and Holt has the opportunity to become the same, I hope he sees out his career with us and scores another shed load against the Binners.[/quote]

Re Newman and a few others, when NCFC did the hall of fame they stuck to many into it, should have been around 30 (not 100) then they could of added to it, now some of the players getting in are just not worthy.

Well he''s a much better player. I think Iwan was assisted in attaining his legendary status due to his famous smile and playing in very poor Norwich sides.

How many goals had Iwan scored after 18 months? 10?

And no, I''m NOT knocking Iwan.

i''ve got loads of time for Holty think he''s done an amazing job for us, but Iwan did it against better players at a better level for years, he''s also a championship winner, thats not having a pop at Holty

Not yet.. but everyone will remember him more than ever now! Iwan and Hucks are both remembered for their exploits against the little club down the road!!

Can he go and get close to Iwan''s goal count? Who knows.. if he can get close to 20 goals this year then he''ll be just over half way there at 30 so will stand a chance.. also has a lot to do with what league we''re playing in next year... if its the prem he may struggle but he''ll still score, just not as much.

Hucks and Iwan are safe for a little longer but Holty will be regarded as a legend in future years, just maybe not quite as big.

You always knew what you would get with Iwan.  Not only was that passion, but also you knew you could rely on him to get circa 20 goals ever season no matter who was around him and some of the players he had supplying him from the ''midfield'' were not that great.

I know this has been mentioned many times, but I thought it was shocking that Iwan did not get a chance at the Premiership when we were promoted.  Who knows what would have happened if he had , Iwan would definitely have scored goals in the Premier League and pre-Ashton, that''s what we needed.  The same goes for Malky, instead of Playing Simon Charlton in the middle of defence Malky would have been much stronger.  Likewise with Iwan, who knows what would have happened if he''d have played for us in the Premiership.

Holt has so much passion, desire, hardwork and also knows where the net is.  For me, he is not at the same level as Iwan yet.  But he is doing all the right things to get there.  I must admit, I was surprised that that was Holt''s first league hattrick[:O].  Holt seems to be blossoming late in his career and like Iwan he came to us in his late 20''s and like Iwan I hope he has 7 or more good years with us.

Personally I don''t view Rob as a legend, as with some of the others, I don''t think he was good enough.  I also think my memories of him are over-shadowed with him being played up front as a striker - it still sends shivers down my spine.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I know this has been mentioned many times, but I thought it was shocking that Iwan did not get a chance at the Premiership when we were promoted.  Who knows what would have happened if he had , Iwan would definitely have scored goals in the Premier League and pre-Ashton, that''s what we needed.  [/quote]

I don''t think it was an option Slim. It came a couple of seasons too late for Iwan. If we''d won that play-off final in 2002 Iwan would have had a season or two with us in the Premiership. But then would we ever have had Hucks?

Whichever way Iwan is a legend for me and always was. I remember having to defend him in the same way we had to defend Grant Holt earlier this season. His legendary status with the fans wasn''t instant like Hucks was!

Iwan is a legend

He wears a legends hat

And when he sees the match ball

He''s having some of that

He scores goals with his left boot

And scores them with his right

And when we play the ipswich scum

He scores all feckin'' night

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I know this has been mentioned many times, but I thought it was shocking that Iwan did not get a chance at the Premiership when we were promoted.  Who knows what would have happened if he had , Iwan would definitely have scored goals in the Premier League and pre-Ashton, that''s what we needed.  [/quote]

I don''t think it was an option Slim. It came a couple of seasons too late for Iwan. If we''d won that play-off final in 2002 Iwan would have had a season or two with us in the Premiership. But then would we ever have had Hucks?

Whichever way Iwan is a legend for me and always was. I remember having to defend him in the same way we had to defend Grant Holt earlier this season. His legendary status with the fans wasn''t instant like Hucks was!

Iwan is a legend

He wears a legends hat

[;)]

[/quote]

I still think that even if he was used mainly as a sub in the Premiership and if only for one season he would have scored a few goals for us, which may well have proved to be vitally important as would having his experience around the place proved to be. 

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Iwan is a legend

He wears a legends hat

[;)]

[/quote]

I still think that even if he was used mainly as a sub in the Premiership and if only for one season he would have scored a few goals for us, which may well have proved to be vitally important as would having his experience around the place proved to be. 

[/quote]

But as Worthy said, he had to weigh that up as part of his football budget. He was never given enough money to spend anyway so taking out a chunk for a years contract for Iwan was probably never an option.