Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Interesting Article about the Tactical Setup on Sunday

That''s similar to the sort of analysis you''ll find on Zonal Marking (www.zonalmarking.com), but that''s the only place you really find in depth tactical discussion in this country, and its usually only high level games as its just the one chap doing it. We need more of it in this country, I feel, and its great to see Norwich covered in this way.

Really interesting and just goes to show the value of Holt to the team even if he doesn''t score. The fact that he scores so many too is a huge bonus and I reckon in signing him we got "bargain of the century"!

Good article, but I was confused by the description of Holty as "able to work both sides of the ball." The inside and the outside?Would have been nice to hear something more about Hoolahan, I still think he took us up a level when he came on.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Good article, but I was confused by the description of Holty as "able to work both sides of the ball." The inside and the outside?

Would have been nice to hear something more about Hoolahan, I still think he took us up a level when he came on.
[/quote]

Holt working both sides of the ball is illustrated best with the diagram with only the yellow 9, running across the line of the back four and into the channels on either side of the pitch. Very interesting too to see his comment about the effectiveness of playing forward, in particular Lansbury, and this was I think why the crowd got agitated just after half time when it seemed we kept the ball and stopped the channel passing. Culverhouse in particular was doing his nut when we started lateral passing . I agree that Wes gave us more forward momentum when he came on.

But the main thing that Holt displayed and the young guy has picked up on, was his movement both with and more importantly without the ball. It''s the best I''ve seen him do this for ages, sometimes his movement takes him into neutral parts of the pitch but sunday he was always active in key areas. Brilliant.

Fantastic stuff.

I was really happy with the 20 mins after half time.  We nullified their threat, kept the ball well and kept it moving - which wore down the town players.  We had a lead,  it was not under threat and time was on our side.

We used the full width of the pitch too making the area to defend as large as possible.   It was inevitable that as we entered the last 20 mins opportunities would come - and Martins forcing a good fulop save should that lamberts tactics here were again spot on. 

Compared to Keane making the most bizzare sub changes it just highlights the difference between a coach and a manager  

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Really interesting and just goes to show the value of Holt to the team even if he doesn''t score. The fact that he scores so many too is a huge bonus and I reckon in signing him we got "bargain of the century"!

[/quote]

---

Agreed, but I think it also shows the value of a Holt-type player. None of our other forwards can play that role. In an ideal world, IF the money was available, AND and we could find the right player, willing to be an understudy, then a loan deal to cover that position would be nice.

More generally, that kind of in-depth professional tactical analysis is exactly what I was hoping to see from Darren H in his match reports, and so far haven''t.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

---

Agreed, but I think it also shows the value of a Holt-type player. None of our other forwards can play that role. In an ideal world, IF the money was available, AND and we could find the right player, willing to be an understudy, then a loan deal to cover that position would be nice.

[/quote]

One person who did realise the value of a Holt-type player was Worthy. He continually tried to find cover for Iwan and later a replacement for Iwan but in both cases never got near to signing one. 2006 is the best example I can give when his wish list was Hulse and Howard. He said "

“We have looked across the board and the two top targets were Hulse number one, and Howard number two. It is not a surprise because when there is not an abundance of those types of strikers about, they command high transfer fees, they command high wages,” he said. “Certainly in the Howard situation, yes, £1m is a lot of money for him, but if that''s what there is about and that''s the going rate at the time, then that''s it."

In the end and through his own resourcefulness Worthy brought in Dion Dublin. And that''s why it''s really difficult to bring in a player like that just for cover. The best chance would be if we had one coming through the academy who could gain experience for the few games Holt would miss through knocks or suspensions. If Holt was out injured for a month or more we could probably get another clubs youngster in on loan. But I doubt any club would loan a player to sit on our bench, they would want him playing to gain experience.