Sign in to follow this  
rondy

Movember

I was just having a butchers about the main canaries website and came across the players Movember page:http://uk.movember.com/mospace/1063630/ Now, far be it for me to tell people what they should be doing with their hard earned money,  but I was a bit surprised/disappointed that they''ve only managed to raise £1800 - especially as this coincides with the 4-1 trouncing of our suffolk friends, and the feel good factor that goes with this. Ive got a mate whose raised 500 quid on his own with hardly any publicity at all. ?

IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''. [/quote]The money''s going to prostate cancer charities, not footballers...

[quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''. [/quote]The money''s going to prostate cancer charities, not footballers...[/quote]No s**t

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''. [/quote]The money''s going to prostate cancer charities, not footballers...[/quote]No s**t[/quote]Thought I''d better state the obvious as you seemed to miss that the entire point is to raise awareness through a light-hearted, highly visible campaign. I didn''t donate because I was ''moved'' by the moustaches, I donated because it''s something that needs funding and if I can have a laugh at silly moustaches along the way, all the better.

Why don''t the players themselves donate a weeks wages to the cause if their not already doing so?

Its decent to do something to try and raise other peoples money for charity, but really, i''m sure all of these players can afford to give something away themselves....

[quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''. [/quote]The money''s going to prostate cancer charities, not footballers...[/quote]No s**t[/quote]Thought I''d better state the obvious as you seemed to miss that the entire point is to raise awareness through a light-hearted, highly visible campaign. I didn''t donate because I was ''moved'' by the moustaches, I donated because it''s something that needs funding and if I can have a laugh at silly moustaches along the way, all the better.[/quote]Fine, but I''m perfectly aware were the lion''s share of money raised goes.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''.
[/quote]

The money''s going to prostate cancer charities, not footballers...
[/quote]

No s**t
[/quote]

Thought I''d better state the obvious as you seemed to miss that the entire point is to raise awareness through a light-hearted, highly visible campaign. I didn''t donate because I was ''moved'' by the moustaches, I donated because it''s something that needs funding and if I can have a laugh at silly moustaches along the way, all the better.
[/quote]

Fine, but I''m perfectly aware were the lion''s share of money raised goes.
[/quote]

Go on - pray tell.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why don''t the players themselves donate a weeks wages to the cause if their not already doing so?

Its decent to do something to try and raise other peoples money for charity, but really, i''m sure all of these players can afford to give something away themselves....[/quote]

What makes you think that they haven''t Gingerpele? I would expect that the £1,800 quoted is the monies raised by fans etc rather than any private player donations.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]IMO when you have November traditionally taken up by  the RBL helping veterans.  And the high profile coverage of Help for Heroes aiding the current injured soldiers rehab.  I''m not surprised the public aren''t particularly moved by ''silly mustachioed footballers''. [/quote]The money''s going to prostate cancer charities, not footballers...[/quote]No s**t[/quote]Thought I''d better state the obvious as you seemed to miss that the entire point is to raise awareness through a light-hearted, highly visible campaign. I didn''t donate because I was ''moved'' by the moustaches, I donated because it''s something that needs funding and if I can have a laugh at silly moustaches along the way, all the better.[/quote]Fine, but I''m perfectly aware were the lion''s share of money raised goes.[/quote]Equal Right for Gay Whales?

Organised charities on national scales are massive businesses.  When they collect money, the lion''s share goes to keep the charity in existence pay for web-sites, organisers'' jobs,  pay those pesky chuggers to give you hassle  etc etc.  Any other money that gets doled out to researchers literally works out at a few pennies in the pound.That''s my personal reasoning why I think the RBL & Help for Heroes trumps ''awareness for prostrate cancer'' hands down.  As you don''t need silly tashes to make somebody to go to the doc if you start dribbling when you have a piss. 

Silly tashes or not there does need to be more awareness of Prostate Cancer and to my mind Movember is the perfect way to do it. Should we not support the women walking through cities in their bras at night raising awareness of Breast Cancer?

We all have charities which are closer to our hearts than others. Personally and due to some close family who''ve been affected The Alzheimers Society is close to my heart, and as something of a pacifist, I have to say Help For Heroes is somewhere further down the line (albeit I acknowledge the outstanding if regretable work they have to do).

£1800 is p1ss poor i just made a donation in honour of sunday..i  don''t think it would be too much to ask for every norwich fan who went on sunday to donate a quid  ..holts second goal celebration was worth a few quid of anyones money [:D]

I did some research about prostate cancer a couple of years

ago and the men who are high risk are those who have a family history of prostate

cancer or lead a fairly inactive lifestyle; desk jobs increase the

risks.
Also many men are just too embarrassed to go to the doctor and get their nether regions checked out. It''s proven that single men living on their own are more likely to not visit a doctor. This is because those still living at home, married, living with gf or in relationship are more likely to be persuaded to visit a doctor by their mum/wife/gf. Women play a vital role in men''s health, whatever you guys may think; research evidence can back this up.Often the symptons of prostate cancer do not show until the illness is advanced. The fact that there have been several threads on this is great because it has highlighted how important checks are.As for sponsorship, many people donate to certain charities, maybe because they have a limited amount of money to donate anyway. Let''s not criticise those for not sponsoring because we do not know their financial situations or which charities they choose to support.Silly Sausage does express genuine concerns over how charities spend those donations, quite rightly IMO, and that is his perogative.As for chuggers, don''t get me started on them as they make me so mad with their assumptions [:@]