Sign in to follow this  
Carlos Valderrama

Norwich 4 - 1 Ipswich - Is it your favourite ever game?

For the majority of our younger fans, and some of the older this probably has to be one of the best games ever for numerous reasons.  Certainly one I will remember for a long time to come.  Absolutely fantastic.

Question though.  What is your favourite ever game....

Mine was Norwich 3-2 Southampton, quarter final FA cup replay.  Had been to the Old Dell with my Dad (what a pit!!) and watched a boring 0-0 (?).  Replay was a thriller with Chris Sutton bagging the winner deep into extra time.  Was about 14 at the time, Barclay was still terracing, atmosphere was electric.  I just remember this massive bloke standing next to me turned around, put his arm around me and said, quite simply ''we are going to f*****g wembley son''.  Then everyone just started bouncing and singing.  Awesome!!

In addition it is also the game I decided to sport my brand new British Knights trainers, being a trendy little sod they were barely laced as was the fashion at the time.  With the old terracing the crowd used to surge forwards every now and again.  In one surge one of my brand new shoes came flying off, spent about 15 minutes of the first half on my hands and knees looking for it.

Classic, submitted to the memory banks forever.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

For the majority of our younger fans, and some of the older this probably has to be one of the best games ever for numerous reasons.  Certainly one I will remember for a long time to come.  Absolutely fantastic.

Question though.  What is your favourite ever game....

Mine was Norwich 3-2 Southampton, quarter final FA cup replay.  Had been to the Old Dell with my Dad (what a pit!!) and watched a boring 0-0 (?).  Replay was a thriller with Chris Sutton bagging the winner deep into extra time.  Was about 14 at the time, Barclay was still terracing, atmosphere was electric.  I just remember this massive bloke standing next to me turned around, put his arm around me and said, quite simply ''we are going to f*****g wembley son''.  Then everyone just started bouncing and singing.  Awesome!!

In addition it is also the game I decided to sport my brand new British Knights trainers, being a trendy little sod they were barely laced as was the fashion at the time.  With the old terracing the crowd used to surge forwards every now and again.  In one surge one of my brand new shoes came flying off, spent about 15 minutes of the first half on my hands and knees looking for it.

Classic, submitted to the memory banks forever.

[/quote]it was 1992 and it was 2-1. Southampton had 2 players sent off (Benali and Cockerill), Bob fleck got stretchered off with broken ribs.Its my all time favourite memory too. Suttons Header was magical... i was 10 at the time and have the season review which i have no put onto DVD. Sutton ran to the family enclosure after he scored, i still swear blind he pointed straight at me...magical! I hate sunderland!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Possibly....

Although Man.U and Boro games in premiership have to be up there....[/quote]Those are the two that stick out for me.It is quite difficult for me to say the weekend''s game is my favourite ever, because I wasn''t at the match. Had I have been there, it may be a different story.

Middlesborough game was horrible, with the exception of the last 10 minutes.  Manchester United was good, chanting easy easy was an absolute pleasure....

Still the FA Cup game vs Southampton for me though.

The Southampton game was a good one alright but was bettered by the FA Cup Quarter Final replay win v West Ham in 1989.

All these were dwarfed though surely by Bayern Munich - has to be the top game of post ''59 era. The occasion, opposition, live tv coverage and atmosphere. If you get a chance look up your old video recording of the game particularly the final whistle celebrations. Camera homes in on the Chairman who seems to be staring down blankly from the directors box, gripping onto the front rail, totally unable to take in the significance of what was going on (or more importantly what seemed to be the start of a golden age for the boys). Unfortunately within two or three months it had all started to evaporate. That''s football though - I''m still enjoying Sunday but just hope and pray that Pride Park won''t be a case of ....''after the Lord Mayors show''!!        

It will certainly live in the memory for a long time, but not my favourite game.

I''d have to pick the Bayern away game, Milk Cup semi against the binners 2nd leg 1985 and even go back to 1980 when we lost at home to LIverpool 5 - 3 (was the Justin goal of the season game).

They are certainly my most memorable games. I probably go back too far for most on here :)

Was that the 3-1 win?  Disco scored the 3rd following a lovely run, then slotting it across the keeper and in off the post.  If so I was at that one too, brilliant game.

Didnt go to the Bayern game, but did watch it on TV.  Would have loved to have been there, wouldnt say it was a stand out classic though.  If I see it now I am fairly objective about the fact that at times it was skin of the teeth stuff.  The result will obviously live on as one of our proudest moments.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

Jas, I still reckon it was those broken ribs that stopped us from reaching our first ever FA cup final...

Have hated Sunderland ever since, bloody John Byrne and his lucky goal!!!!

[/quote]john Byrne and his offside goal!!!! Wathc it again! even jonathan Peirce says its offside!

Mine goes back years , 1975 to be precise . League cup semi final 2nd leg v Man u , 2-2 in the 1st leg at old trafford then Colin suggett get the goal that takes us to wembley , hairs on the neck stuff .

Its up there along with Man Utd/Middlesboro from the Prem days, but mine has to be the 3-1 win against Wolves in the Playoff 1st leg! I''ll never forget the look some of the away fans faces!!! Ha Ha 

It will certainly rank as my 2nd favourite home match vs Ipswich (after Milk Cup semi), but there have been more memorable away victories at Portman Road.  An away win at their hole is worth two at home, and I had the fortune to witness 4 in a row not so long ago !!.

My favourite game ever though......those of us who were crammed in the corner of the clock end at Highbury for the opening Premiership match of 92/93 will NEVER forget those last 30 minutes.

My favourite is 1976 Norwich 3-2 win over QPR.  One of the days when we made it as a top division force.

Agreat team performance topped by one of the best games ever by a Canary player as Phil Boyer was at his peak that day.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Possibly.... Although Man.U and Boro games in premiership have to be up there....[/quote]

Those are the two that stick out for me.

It is quite difficult for me to say the weekend''s game is my favourite ever, because I wasn''t at the match. Had I have been there, it may be a different story.
[/quote]

Ditto[Y]

I was at the Boro game,and will allways be up there.

For me one of my most memorable games was when we beat Man U at Old Trafford in 1967 2-1 in the FA Cup. Playing against some of the best players in the country on a mud bath watched by a crowd of 67,000 (I think) made it all a bit special. To see Kevin Keelan take the ball off Dennis Law''s head was a bit tasty.

Another game was when we beat Crystal Palace 2-1 at home to avoid relegation. If I remember correctly Dave Stringer got the winner with just minutes left.

But to top all of them I think the night we beat Leyton Orient away to guarantee promotion to the top division for the first time in our history, takes some beating (1971 I think). I even got the penalty spot from which Graham Padden got the winner!!

So many happy days. Hopefully many more to come.

Tony.

Most of my top favourite games are away - it just means so much more to get a great win away from home.Bayern Munich awayScum away - Dec 2003 (Top of the league at Portman Rd)Arsenal away 4-2 1992West Ham (home) FA Cup quarter final 1989Liverpool away 1994? (Gossy''s scores the last goal at the standing kop)Wolves home play off semi 2002Holts derby home 4-1 2010Leeds away 4-0 (Gossy''s Van Basten volley) 1993/4

My favourite games:2-0 win in 1985 v Ipswich Milk Cup SF(2L) 1-0 win in ??? v Ipswich when Bellars scored (previous time we played them we had lost 5-0) 2-0 win in 2005 v ManU

Some good ones mentioned I like:-

Away

1991/92 Chelsea 0 Norwich 3

2000/01 Tranmere 0 Norwich 1 (thought we were going down that season)

2001/02 Sheff W 0 Norwich 5

2003/04 Ipswich 0 Norwich 2 (+ the other three wins at their place in recent times

Home

1986/87 Norwich 4 Southampton 3

1988/89 Norwich 8 Sutton 0 FAC

1991/92 Norwich 3 Liverpool 0

2001/02 Norwich 3 Wolves 1 (PO)

2003/04 Norwich 3 Ipswich 1

how can you pick your favourite? really hard this.when we done cardiff 4 - 1 hucks last game on loan.3 -1 v scum was it? when john wark got sent off. "hang your boots up, hang your boots up, hung your boots up johnny wark"crewe away championship champions, iwan, iwan, iwan, watford away just before as sunderland away.so many.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]A game, although we lost i really enjoyed was Southampton away in prem season, 4-3 to them, but was a really good game....[/quote]

Maybe for a neutral, but that game was a crucial one against a relegation rival which we lost at the death. It has no business being in a ''favourite game'' thread.

Personally:

Norwich 4-1 Scum

Norwich 2-0 Man Utd

Burnley 3-5 Norwich

Rotherham 4-4 Norwich (last minute plie up in the away end)

Norwich 3-1 Wolves

Norwich 1-1 Bayern

This was definitely not my favourite game ever -can I sincerely applogise on behalf of all Ipswich Town supporters for what was the most spineless performance from an Ipswich team I can remember.

E Block Loyal.....It does have a place in this thread if i say it does, YOUR favourite game, means exactly that, I''m not just a Norwich supporter, i''m a football fan, and i really really enjoyed that game....

(and it didn''t really have an effect of the table at the end, the games at home, when we let in last min equalisers etc where the ones that got us relegated...)