Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Russell Martin - simply amazing!

Just wanted to make a thread dedicated to our right back, who, in my opinion is absolutely brilliant. Seriously I just think his all round game seems to have improved to very much, and makes our previous RBs, e.g Jonny look pathetic. Not just Martin, the whole team compared to previous looks classes above. He is just so solid, and can now attack better, I love him so much. I reckon if we had Drury back (anyone know when?) our defence would be so so good. Ward seems a bit shakey at times, but still good enough.

Anyway yeah, huge love for Russell Martin. Also he waved at me yesterday. [:)]

Russell Martin has certainly stepped up to the plate and has been very solid so far!

While hes never gonna be a top notch player he didn''t warrant the bull s hit some fans were saying about him earlier this season!

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Another decent game yesterday although at times he wasted great crossing opportunities and was nervy against Commons.

But does every decent game he has warrant an appreciation thread?[/quote]

Well it seemed like everything he did that was less than perfect warranted a new thread complaining about him.

Russell Martin has certainly stepped his game up but I wish he could tackle more often, he gets ran into the box when he''s one on one.

Considering the critiscim R Martin has had in the past a litle bit of credit going his way is understandable.

He isn''t perfect and Commons would give Premiership defenders problems let alone R Martin! 

agree with canary on trent.. no need for another ''appreciation thread'', he''s doing a solid job these days but understably looked nervous against one of the best players in this league

It''s football nature for supporters to pick a weak link in their team and ours happens to be Russell Martin. In my opinion he''s a good player and is still relatively quite young

I just don''t see how he is our weak link though. For me it is easily Lappin. Russell Martin has been one of our best and most consistent peformers this season. He just seems to have the right attitude aswell, seems to show lots and lots of passion.

Brendo, I don''t think its fair to say Lappin is our weak link, he''s playing out of position as both of our natural left backs are injured.

Having said that, I''ve actually been very impressed with Lappin in the last few games. He hasn''t really looked out of place defensively (certainly no worse than Smith in the games I''ve seem him play) and his delivery has been spot on.

I would also suggest that if you''re rating players on attitude and passion, Lappin would be up there with the best.

I used to think Russel Martin was a pretty poor player and I still stand by that because I thought last season he was poor.  This season though is a different story altogether as he has been superb.  There has only been one game this season against Leeds where I think he struggled as Snodgrass and Gradel kind of gave him the run around but every other game he has certainly numbed the oppostion attack down the their left with great effect.  Got to be one of the best right backs in the league.

Didn''t Lappin come to this club as a Left Back? I know he hasn''t played there regularly but it shouldn''t be a foreign position, I.e positioning wise etc. However he has done a sterling job in that position, however not sure he will keep his place in the side when Drury returns. R Martin has had a fantastic season, his attacking play has improved tenfold and he delivers some extremely good balls into the box.

[quote user="Boyo''"]I used to think Russel Martin was a pretty poor player and I still stand by that because I thought last season he was poor.  This season though is a different story altogether as he has been superb.  There has only been one game this season against Leeds where I think he struggled as Snodgrass and Gradel kind of gave him the run around but every other game he has certainly numbed the oppostion attack down the their left with great effect.  Got to be one of the best right backs in the league.

Russell Martin wasn''t poor last season by any means!!

I do laugh when fans go on about certain players being poor last season when we won the League we were in last season by 9 clear points, beating one of the Countries biggest clubs s cummy Leeds to boot!

[quote user="Clint"]Brendo, I don''t think its fair to say Lappin is our weak link, he''s playing out of position as both of our natural left backs are injured. Having said that, I''ve actually been very impressed with Lappin in the last few games. He hasn''t really looked out of place defensively (certainly no worse than Smith in the games I''ve seem him play) and his delivery has been spot on. I would also suggest that if you''re rating players on attitude and passion, Lappin would be up there with the best.[/quote]Oh I actually agree 100% on what you just said. And the fact that who I believe to be our weak link is actually not bad, shows what quality we have. I thought Lappin was good yesterday, and got a decent assist. [Y] Just if you compare him in left mid to Surman or other midfielders like Crofts/Fox, he just isn''t as good. Having said that, I love Lappin if for nothing else, purely for the passion.

[quote user="Boyo"]I used to think Russel Martin was a pretty poor player and I still stand by that because I thought last season he was poor..[/quote]

Surely if he was that poor the manager wouldn''t have signed him on permanently?

I think you''d be better off just holding your hands up and saying you got it wrong about him being poor last season.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Boyo"]I used to think Russel Martin was a pretty poor player and I still stand by that because I thought last season he was poor..[/quote]

Surely if he was that poor the manager wouldn''t have signed him on permanently?

I think you''d be better off just holding your hands up and saying you got it wrong about him being poor last season.

[/quote]

Or how about me holding my hands up (like I''m doing) and saying that it turns out that actually R.Martin is a very good right back.  I still think he was poor last season though.  Players can change over a season you know, once they get settled in and all that.

[quote user="liamcicada"]Russell Martin has certainly stepped his game up but I wish he could tackle more often, he gets ran into the box when he''s one on one.[/quote]When you''re one on one, there''s only so much you can do, and staying on your feet and keeping your self between the player and the goal/6 yard box area is crucial.Even if he won 2 thirds of his tackles, it would still be suicidal to be going in, because when a winger has a free run into the box with no pressuring defender, it''s pretty much gifting the team a goal

I thought Lappin was excellent yesterday, and his ability to go up and attack gives us a little something extra that Drury perhaps doesn''t - not that I''m knocking Adam, I do think he should go straight back in the team once recovered. Our defence is strong at the moment but it would be nice to see a few clean sheets, it''s been a while.We did look a little embarassed by Derby''s goal though, much too easy.

Why do we concede so many?Especially at home, i think only 4 teams have let in more goals at home this season (In Championship).....

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Another decent game yesterday although at times he wasted great crossing opportunities and was nervy against Commons.

But does every decent game he has warrant an appreciation thread?[/quote]To be fair to Martin he did take a hell of a lot of stick when he first came to Carrow Road so it''s nice to see a bit of appreciation now that he''s playing well.Nervy yesterday ? Commons is sheer class and he had to contend with an in-form Max Gradel at Carrow Road only a couple of weeks ago. Enough to make anyone a bit nervy....