Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Derby County Match Report

My first chance to see City away from home in the flesh and I was mightily impressed.

An advert for Championship football with both sides trying to get the ball down and play but with commitment as well.

The first goal was very fortunate with Fox having a dig from 25 yards that was going wide but for a deflection that nutmegged the keeper. A good start got even better when a fine team move was finished with a perfect header by Martin from a Lappin cross.

City began to take control of the ball and knocked the ball around really well before an innocuous long ball forward was flicked on and finished by Commons.

There was a brief spell of Derby pressure before half time but City weathered it, with Ruddy making an important save and we went in with a deserved half time lead

2nd half was end to end stuff with City sitting on the lead but breaking on the counter frequently. Martin had a great effort saved from Fielding, Holt had a venomous volley go just over whilst Commons amongst others had efforts fly wide at the other end.

Ruddy - 8, nothing he could do with the goal but made 2 big saves, plucked crosses from the air and his distribution was fantastic

R.Martin - 7, got forward really well and dealt with Commons fairly well although there were a few nervy moments

Barnett - 9, rock, won just about every header but the flick on for the goal and his pace is crucial with City playing a high line

Ward - 8, just behind Barnett

Lappin - 7, not his position and it showed a few at times defensively but his distribution is good and a great delivery for the Martin goal.

Lansbury - 7, very tidy player and put in a great shift as the City midfield never allowed Savage and co to settle

Crofts - 7, what an engine! ran all day long

Fox - 8, fades in and out of the game but had the effort on goal for the opening goal and switches the play effectively.

Hoolahan - 7, a bit hit and miss, some nice touches and passes in the Derby half but gave the ball away in dangerous areas, not a massive fan of him wide.

Holt - 8, no goal today but he really worked over the Derby centre backs all over the park, a key player with the high pressing game we employ.

Martin - 8, took his goal really well, great link play and could have had a 2nd but for a fine save.

Great away turnout today, over 2,500 i think and really put the home support to shame,

You forgot to mention the multitude of back passes we did in he first half when we were 2-0 up. I forgot which way we were playing. 

Norwich played really well for the first 15 minutes, scoring two goals and looking like there were more to come. But them Derby grabbed one and the game changed. We passed backwards more than forwards, and they looked very dangerous.

I was unhappy that we didnt press for a third, as Derby did threaten to equalise and that would have been anothe lost 2 points on top of the lost points against Reading and QPR.

Oh... and Chris Martin, yes he scored, but that was it !!! Nice work for nice pay if you can get it. 

Thanks for the report COTT. I listened to Radio Norfolk comentary and it certainly sounded exciting. Biting my nails down to the quick for the last ten minutes though.

I agree with Trent Canary, our passing back was actually pretty constructive. It often enabled us to keep the ball and then launch a more structured attack than by hoofing the ball up front. Some people dont have the patience and want the ball passing forwards everytime.

Funny, we didnt hit the ball aimlessly at all in the first 15 mins, but we did work it in a forward motion, and most importantly, towards the Derby goal.

However, as already stated, once we conceded we seem to have no confidence in going forwards so continuously played the ball backs... and back to the keeper who just...... kicked it aimlessly forward !!

I think you need to change your username! We brought it forward well for most of the game,with only sloppy passing losing possession (Hooly mostly sadly).There was a bit of hoofing,but Ruddy wasn''t the worse culprit.

"I listened to Radio Norfolk comentary"

bloody radio gives me the ''hee bee jeebies''

Watching a game on telly you can see what''s happening so are almost ready for a goal - especially against.

With the radio every attack by the opposition sounds like it might be a goal. Not good for the old ticker, I can tell you.

I love Norwich fans !

They always see a better performance by their team than any other fans. Yes I am glad City won, that was a vital 3 points as everyone around us also won, a part from Derby of course.

However, Derby had 5 excellent chances of scoring, not half chances, but chances I would have been p*ssed off if we had had those oppotunities and missed. This shows what a fine line there is in this league. I would love us to get promted again this season, but alas, we will not.

But please, please stop giving the impression on this forum that Norwich played well, were constructive on the ball, defended well, and deserved to win. If we had walked away at 90 mins with a 5-2 defeat we could not have argued !

Yes, Norwich fans are the only set of fans that may exaggerate how well their team has done....

5-2 defeat? The NON-Norwich view points i have heard, have said Norwich where better (including one of Derby''s players...)

[quote user="Eagleeye"]

You forgot to mention the multitude of back passes we did in he first half when we were 2-0 up. I forgot which way we were playing. 

Norwich played really well for the first 15 minutes, scoring two goals and looking like there were more to come. But them Derby grabbed one and the game changed. We passed backwards more than forwards, and they looked very dangerous.

I was unhappy that we didnt press for a third, as Derby did threaten to equalise and that would have been anothe lost 2 points on top of the lost points against Reading and QPR.

Oh... and Chris Martin, yes he scored, but that was it !!! Nice work for nice pay if you can get it. 

[/quote]Never have I agreed with a post as much as this one.In addition, Russell Martin, as good as he was; today his crossing was woeful.

Yes Derby had a couple of chances but they''re a good side and were at home, did you really expect us to go there and totally shut them out for 90mins.

We limited them to mostly speculative long range efforts and had our chances to score again but through a misplaced pass or a rushed shot we didn''t.

All in all, a good away win!

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Are you referring to the times when rather than hit the ball forward aimlessly we attempted to keep the ball on the deck and keep possession?[/quote]

Glad that you pointed that out before I did!

I don'' think we fully deserved to win,and for most of the second half i could see them getting a reply,but at times we played some bloody good football and battled hard when needed.

Never seen us play that bad and win.

All their chances came through our mistakes.

Storming first 15 minutes, where we kept the ball in their final quarter.

Ward never attempted to play the ball for their goal.

The last 75 minutes we constantly put ourselves under pressure by trying to keep the ball in our final quarter!

What Kris Commons as to do to get a chance to play in the top division I''ll never know.

Very good 3 points, but our performance didnt deserve it.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Are you referring to the times when rather than hit the ball forward aimlessly we attempted to keep the ball on the deck and keep possession?[/quote]

[/quote]

[Y] Spot on.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]

And then we rolled it back to Ruddy who pumped it straight back up the pitch

or to Martin/Lappin that put it in the stand?

[quote user="Eagleeye"]

I love Norwich fans !

They always see a better performance by their team than any other fans. Yes I am glad City won, that was a vital 3 points as everyone around us also won, a part from Derby of course.

However, Derby had 5 excellent chances of scoring, not half chances, but chances I would have been p*ssed off if we had had those oppotunities and missed. This shows what a fine line there is in this league. I would love us to get promted again this season, but alas, we will not.

But please, please stop giving the impression on this forum that Norwich played well, were constructive on the ball, defended well, and deserved to win. If we had walked away at 90 mins with a 5-2 defeat we could not have argued !

[/quote]Not really the impression I got from the comentary. Everything I''ve seen read and heard suggests that Norwich did play well and fully deserved their victory. Comments from Derby fans suggest that we were the best side they had seen this season. Even BBC stats give us 5 shots on target against Derby''s 3.

Sometimes the ball does have to go long if being pressed but we tried throughout to keep on the deck, if the forward pass wasn''t on we''d go back, the ball only ever went long as a last resort if all other options were exhausted.

It''s no wonder England will never achieve anything whilst people want the ball forward at all costs.

Where you at the game CDmullins/eagleeye?

Like ricardo just said, everything/one else suggested we where the better side....yet you two seem to think we where awful?

I don''t listen to the radio, commentators are all crap :P

But the commentator at the game on final score, certainly never made it sound like Derby where the better team, and every other comment bar yours and eagleeyes have said Norwich where the better side....

I didn''t hear too many groans from the away end, perhaps a few morons who want the ball pumped forward at every opportunity but the majority seemed to appreciate the way went about trying to play football.

Lets not pretend we have Xavi and Iniesta.

We werent playing good constructive football, we were breaking, couldnt beat the final man, turning back and going right the way back to the goalkeeper.

Did you not watch the World Champions in the summer?

The ones who won 1-0 in each knock-out game, because they kept the ball for 80% of the games, Barcelona win playing like that as well quite often (although on the whole are more attacking than Spain...), you don''t need Xavi and Iniesta to pass and keep the ball......bet you were one of the people groaning last weekend when we just kept the ball mainly in defence for more than 10 seconds....

It''s called ''keeping the ball''.Yes it can be negative and frustrating at times,but it''s better than getting to their box,losing it,an everyone having to chase back again.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]

And then we rolled it back to Ruddy who pumped it straight back up the pitch

or to Martin/Lappin that put it in the stand?

[/quote]

Are you going to neglect to mention the time when we trung about 20 passes from the back to upfront only for (I think) Hoolahan to fluff it in the final third? Or all the times when Ruddy passed it out? Or all the times when Ruddy did go long he picked out Grant Holt?

We''ve just gone away from a home to a team that had won 6 on the bounce (at home), played some excellent football, and won 2-1.

Yet people say we didn''t play well? Jesus wept!

It was a very professional performance. Our ball retention on the whole was very good, and although I''d have liked a 3rd goal, we defended with enough commitment to get an excellent result.

The giving away of a soft goal to Derby put us under some pressure, and I genuinely think we''d have gone 3-0 up if we hadn''t conceded then, but to close them out for 75 minutes in their own backyard is great!

Listened to the game on BBC 5 Live Extra, unbiased commentary with Martin Allen giving his views.

the summary " an absolute pleasure to see 2 teams trying to win a game by playing good football. Really enjoyed the game that was a credit to the championship with the result probably being just about right"