Sign in to follow this  
Web Team - Celia Sutton

Graham Stuart - use this thread to comment!

I think this is a good piece of business by Worthy. Experienced back up for our midfield (it''s painfully thin!) on a short term contract. If he proves to be a dud, we ditch him in the summer. 

In his time he was a good Premiership player. Hopefully he can regain that form.

A good signing until the end of the season. The sort of player who goes unnoticed on the pitch, just gets on with the job. Has scored quite a few goals in his career as well. Puts himself about as well! We may have to kiss good bye to the fair play award though! Especially with him and Safri in the team. Would much prefer survival though.

Very good move. We need this kind of experince and on a short term deal too. Smart.

A good friend of mine who is an Evertonian and season ticket holder until he moved to Stockholm a year or two back says he''s a great player. Good dressing room player (ie. typical Worthy signing), hard worker and very consistent. He will get a massive reception on Wednesday as he is a hero at Goodison still.

Would like to see a young loan player later on today too and ideally a centre half.

Bet that''s it though... and I bet that I stay up till midnight waiting...

From official Charlton site ...

Graham Stuart has left the Addicks on the last day of the January transfer window.

The midfielder had been in discussions with Norwich City over the weekend, and Canaries boss Nigel Worthington completed a free transfer for the 34-year-old until the end of the season on Monday.

Stuart scored 23 goals in 164 league and cup appearances for Charlton, but had played just six times in the current campaign.

At last, an experienced Premiership player! Pity it''s about 6 months too late but I think he''ll do a good job for us. Nice one Worthy!

Great news. Hopefully he''ll help us out plus he''s got bags of experience. Now worthy will hopefully sign a defender on loan.

A sound signing - no committment beyond the season end and he has bags of prem experience just where we need it - partnering Damo...

Now if we can can just spot a defender - come on down dean richards???

OTBC 

Do we really need another midfielder?

We have Francis, Holt, McVeigh, Safri, Mulryne, Brennan, Helveg and Jonson...not to mention the ones trying to come through.

I for one am a little disappointed with a 34 year old has-been.

WE NEED A GOOD, STRONG DEFENDER!

hmmm- leaves me neither upset nor excited...

....but then neither did Simon Charlton and he was the find of the summer!

Could go two ways:

a) he busts a gut to get a contract and wows us all

b) he is past it and rots in the reserves!

Goals are what we need and he scores, always has done, and we need more from midfield, so should be good.

Now we appear to be sorting out the front and middle, what about the back?

[quote]Do we really need another midfielder? We have Francis, Holt, McVeigh, Safri, Mulryne, Brennan, Helveg and Jonson...not to mention the ones trying to come through. I for one am a little disappointed ...[/quote]

I agree that the priority since the window opened has been to strengthen the defence but at no stage has city even been rumoured to be signing a defender.

As far as midfield is concerned we do have lots of them but only 1 has really looked like the biz, being Damo.  None of his partners have impressed or dominated a game.  IMO the jury is still out of Safri but he is borderline.  You know what you get with Holt and his is better than the rest of the squad but still not good enough.  If Stuarts attitude is right he will be a good signing alongside Francis, if not then we can quickly say goodbye and see if Safri improves.

Please announce a defender too though.

OTBC 

I''m not pleased. A 34 yr old has been. I could be wrong, but its not like we''ve signed a 34 yr old who was an absolutely top player. He was nothing more than run-of-the-mill/fairly good in his prime.

Yes, he''s got experience, his goalscoring record isn''t bad and its good that its only a short term contract. But on the flip side: He is over-weight, he is old, he is slow, he is only a Charlton reserve and we needed a defender a lot more.

Also, what about Safri, Holt, Mulryne and Helveg? Are none of these good enough to partner Damo in the Premiership?

When he first broke into the Chelsea team, I was at Polytechnic with his girlfriend for two years.  Got to meet him socially several times and he was an extremely nice bloke.  Always followed his career, watched him a few times for Chelsea.  Lost a bit of his youthful pace, but his Premier League experience will help us no end.  Started as a left sided midfielder, but can occupy anywhere across the middle. 

Don''t forget, he scored the vital goal for Everton in the last few minutes on the final day of the season that kept Everton up in 17th place the 97-98 season and was in the FA Cup winning side in 95.

The last time I saw him, he said he would meet in Norwich after a game and go out for a few beers.  Wonder if he still remembers that promise after nearly 12 years?

only played 6 times this year and has back problems, but a solid midfielder in past who will be at hand should holty,francis, safri get injured. I actually wouldnt be surprised if worthy starts stuart.

Just been reading some of his player profile,

Apart from his great work rate and command of the midfield one of his other attributes was his "pinpoint passing".

Wow, now ain''t that gonna be a refreshing happening for us ?

[quote]Just been reading some of his player profile, Apart from his great work rate and command of the midfield one of his other attributes was his "pinpoint passing". Wow, now ain''t that gonna be a refr...[/quote]

At least City are trying to change things Jim, yes?.

That''s all I''ve ever asked.

No doubt if Nigel and the board had a spare 10 million, they''d spend it, but hey posters, they haven''t. Unless they do an Ipswich and risk everything!.

I''ll give Stuart, the benefit of the doubt, if he helps us stay up, brilliant. If not, so be it!.

City will still be here next season, pushing to get promoted again.

As I said, they are trying,  and I can ask no more that that!.

mixed feelings, but on the whole looks like a decent bit of business.  I guess it also frees up Helveg to play in defence rather than midfield when he is fit and gives us a much better line up of (when all fit)

Green

Eddy    Helveg   Doc   Charlton

Jonson   Stuart  Francis

Huckerby

Ashton             Svensson (okay out for a while so swap for McKenzie until he is back)

[quote]I''m not pleased. A 34 yr old has been. I could be wrong, but its not like we''ve signed a 34 yr old who was an absolutely top player. He was nothing more than run-of-the-mill/fairly good in his prime. ...[/quote]

Mulryne - Shown in last few games that he''s clearly not up to it

Helveg - done a decent job but is a defender

Holt - Great effort, for the money a great player but we clearly need someone who can pass it around

Safri - I like him, not back to full fitness though

He''s a good, solid, and an experienced hardworking pro''. A good loan signing who will definitely make a difference. OTBC ;~)

Just heard this one at lunchtime.

All good as far as I am concerned, and another piece of shrewd business by the club.

People soon forget that Ashton is the club''s record signing, and it took the club a long while to beat the Jon Newsome transfer record, so be realistic people.

Stuart should be a good addition to the squad, and if he stays, will probably fill Francis''s shoes if he clears off in the summertime.

[quote]He''s a good, solid, and an experienced hardworking pro''. A good loan signing who will definitely make a difference. OTBC ;~)[/quote]

Mello Yello, he''s not a loan signing. He''s a permanent signing on a free transfer with a short term contract which expires in the summer. Great piece of business.