Sign in to follow this  
Adam NCFC

2018 World Cup

At least the likes of Mk Dons, Plymouth, Forest and Bristol City won''t get unecessary new and improved stadiums subsidised by public money. Every cloud and all that. I''m not that incensed by the award to Russia. They have never hosted it, it is a major European nation and , as such, its not outrageous that they won given the current system even if technically our bid was the best.

What, however, i do believe is that the system of awarding these things needs a root and branch review. The criteria that has to be met needs to be stuck to and some serious thought needs to be given as to how to prevent this grubby and frakly embarassing 2 year beauty parade that the bidding process has become. It cannot be right that to get these things we basically have to protistute ourselves at the feet of the likes of the odious Jack Warner who for reasons that escape me really suddenly find themselves in the role of king maker and revel in that role. Its undignified and frankly renders any voting system a bit of a joke. Hopefully this will also be the last time we agree to go and play friendlies against tinpot footballing nations such as Trinidad and Tobago on the basis of false promises from one of these jokers.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"I also think it is very naive to assume that our supporters follow this

game more than other countries. Asia hands down beats us."When it''s  hosted in their back-yard I would agree.  But Asian countries don''t have a reknowned following (as in fans turning up for the games) for international teams.  Moscow and Qatar aren''t exactly close to Japan / South Korea , who have been the more successful recent Asian teams although I''ll grant you that they are closer than Brazil.   I would guess that the Russian world cup will be attended mainly by corporates and Russians, and the Qatari world cup will be attended mainly by Dubai / Qatari corporates, with a lot of empty stadia for games.[/quote]Like the World Cup in South Africa the vast majority of the population in Russia earn very little and won''t be able to afford to attend.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

At least the likes of Mk Dons, Plymouth, Forest and Bristol City won''t get unecessary new and improved stadiums subsidised by public money. Every cloud and all that. I''m not that incensed by the award to Russia. They have never hosted it, it is a major European nation and , as such, its not outrageous that they won given the current system even if technically our bid was the best.

What, however, i do believe is that the system of awarding these things needs a root and branch review. The criteria that has to be met needs to be stuck to and some serious thought needs to be given as to how to prevent this grubby and frakly embarassing 2 year beauty parade that the bidding process has become. It cannot be right that to get these things we basically have to protistute ourselves at the feet of the likes of the odious Jack Warner who for reasons that escape me really suddenly find themselves in the role of king maker and revel in that role. Its undignified and frankly renders any voting system a bit of a joke. Hopefully this will also be the last time we agree to go and play friendlies against tinpot footballing nations such as Trinidad and Tobago on the basis of false promises from one of these jokers.

[/quote]

Brilliant post Jim.I would like to know how many millions were wasted scmoozing these scumbags.If they had come out at the start and said they were going to award it to a ''new'' country,then fair enough.

Gutted for Australia as well.That would be an ideal country to host it.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Brilliant post Jim.I would like to know how many millions were wasted scmoozing these scumbags.If they had come out at the start and said they were going to award it to a ''new'' country,then fair enough.

Gutted for Australia as well.That would be an ideal country to host it.

[/quote]

I agree about Aus although from a purely selfish point of view the kick off times would not have been great!

Am actually quite intrigued by a Qatar World Cup. I suspect that with the money they have the facilities will be amazing. Will also be very interesting to see if they set aside their cultural principles sufficiently to make the event a success. If they do it could actually turn out to be a very interesting world cup.

Regarding the voting, I have to say i agree with what Anson said today. Its crazy that the votes are held by such a small number of delegates and it gives them far too much influence/importance. These guys swan about in chauffeur driven cars like they are presidents of small countries or royalty and its a joke. If Eurovision is anything to go by it might not make much difference die to our lack of popularity anyway but why can''t they simply specify the continent in advance and then let every member nation have one vote on the bids received (who should all have to have met certain minimum criteria as certified by the insection team)? Yes deals would still be done i''m sure but it would be much more open and democratic.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]The more I hear about the Qatar bid the odder it seems to become.  First there is the whole air-conditioned  indoor stadium thing, but now apparently they are going to dismantle the stadiums and move them lock stock and barrel to africa after the world cup has finished ?

I guess Qatar doesn''t need its'' own legacy ?
[/quote]

I must admit I''m getting more and more angry over this. It''s obvious that the committee have taken bribes and I hope that this will not end here. A mass boycott is the way to go if we can get enough nations on our side to form a breakaway corruption-free and open organisation. There is no logic to the Doha option apart from money and I am feeling gutted for the Ozzies who surely had a far better case. Who would travel to Doha to suffer no alcohol, 40-50 C temperatures etc etc ? I certainly wouldn''t.    

I can take loseing to russia, but the fact we only got one vote other than ourselves just shows how bent fifa is. We had the best techinchal bid but recieved the fewest bids shows that winning has nothing to do with the bid. Its not who you know it who you blow.

Qatar over USA they must of paid an absouloute fortune as a USA world cup would probably give fifa billions more than anyone else. Feel sad for the aussies too, sport crazy nation and would of been a fantastic WC.

No we shouldn''t be surprised that FIFA have awarded the 2018 World Cup to anyone but England. Rightly so Sepp Blatter has a bee in his bonnet about the power of the Premier League as per this extract from an article in The Times March 2009.

Blatter said he and Scudamore still have significant differences over their approach to football''s finances and quotas for foreign players.

The FIFA president said: "He is working to make a lot of money and I''m working to have football as a social, cultural event around the world, being a school of life, bringing hope, bringing emotions. That''s the difference."

Until we put our own house in order expect to be overlooked again.

Now it''s been announced that Zidane was guaranteed 15 million if Qatar got the World Cup. I guess he can put his feet up. I wonder what was being paid elsewhere?

I''m also amazed by all the feigned indignation and hypocrisy surrounding the WC 2022 being awarded to Qatar. Some Irish bird on Daybreak this morning (not the lovely Christine Bleakley) was saying how she wouldn''t be allowed to attend matches in Qatar dressed the way she was (just a tunic type dress) and that it was against the law to drink alcohol in there country. Well aren''t we the first to complain if those damned Johnny Foreigners come to our country and don''t abide by our laws?

The other bit I don''t understand is how the England bid was supposed to have 5 definite promises of votes when it was a secret ballot. Does this mean that the voters were pressurised (or bribed) by our bid team or was the information volunteered willingly?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]That''s 15 million dollars. Still not small change.[/quote]

That''s a decent amount to be donating to the NCISA Backing City campaign Yankee. Dollars will do very well![;)]

A little story......A good friend of mine who is married to a Swiss lady and used to live over there knew/knows someone who worked for Fifa as an accountant at the time of the 1994 World Cup in the Stares. Now this person was instructed to carry and deliver bag loads of cash to contacts in the States. She actually caried these accross by plane. She asked no questions and was given no explanation, and thought it best to keep it that way. Now what could have been going on there do you think?.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]That''s 15 million dollars. Still not small change.[/quote]

That''s a decent amount to be donating to the NCISA Backing City campaign Yankee. Dollars will do very well![;)]

[/quote]

Don''t let those big numbers discourage you Butler, after all, remember Zidane had the benefit of being able to use his head as well as his hands and feet. [;)]

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

No we shouldn''t be surprised that FIFA have awarded the 2018 World Cup to anyone but England. Rightly so Sepp Blatter has a bee in his bonnet about the power of the Premier League as per this extract from an article in The Times March 2009.

Blatter said he and Scudamore still have significant differences over their approach to football''s finances and quotas for foreign players.

The FIFA president said: "He is working to make a lot of money and I''m working to have football as a social, cultural event around the world, being a school of life, bringing hope, bringing emotions. That''s the difference."

Until we put our own house in order expect to be overlooked again.

[/quote]

I dont care for Scudamore either. But i dont for one second think Sepp Blatter or FIFA have no monetary motives.  Lets just hope that Sepp Blatters values of school of life, hope and emotions stretch as far as racist chanting from Russian fans and or mafia money which will undoubtedly be lurking beneath the surface at 2018.

I do agree we do need to put our own house in order, but just like almost every other major footballing nation in Europe.

1st things 1st. Thank goodness for Silly Sausage! His comic relief comments from out of the blue are gold!

If the comment about all games being within an hour of Moscow is accurate, then that sucks for Russians in the other 80% of their country. Why not have some games in Vladivostok? When the tourney was in the US, there were games coast to coast, and we smashed attendance records.

I am not surprised we didn''t get it. Our turn as the new frontier was ''94, and we have not advanced nearly enough to be considered much more than that so the only reason to have it here would be money. Qatar and Russia have the frontier aspect AND money.

Someone mentioned stadiums being dismantled and sent to Africa. Is that what Qatar plans to do for real, or is that just a rumor? Regardless of how rich the country is, it seems like a huge waste of money for them, and not a very efficient way to help Africa. Hey, we''re hungry! Ok, here''s a stadium!

Russia''s attitude towards outsiders is well known. It is a stereotype, but not completely baseless. The only concern on this thread so far has been for Afircan teams, but racially speaking, the Asians and S Americans have just as much to worry about, and the CONCACAF teams, depending on which ones make it, will be plenty non-white if not totally. I don''t know that the Germans would be too welcome, either.

Qatar hosting the World Cup is ridiculous. Less than 1,000,000 population is supposed to have infrastructure for several hundreds of thousands of visitors? Ok, make a bunch of hotels, but then do what with them after the tourney is over? Send them to Africa, too? Why not just have the tournament in Cameroons or Algeria and let the Qatari soccer fans come watch there for free? There are not THAT many soccer fans in Qatar, and there will be plenty of empty seats in either scenario. Oh, I have the answer to my own question - blatant corruption.

They could at least have feigned purity by having a combinedf bid with some of the other little oil-rich emirates and/or the Saudis, but Qatar alone? REALLY!?!?!?!

Good old Boris :P

Not quite as effective as pulling out of Fifa or something of the like, but they will have to pay for their hotels now....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Good old Boris :P Not quite as effective as pulling out of Fifa or something of the like, but they will have to pay for their hotels now....[/quote]

That''s not how life goes Ginge.

Putin will have them paid for.

OTBC

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

How about awarding the winners of the World Cup the hosting rights to the following competition? It would make winning the thing even more worthwhile...

[/quote]

Indeed, and if you read the thread I suggested that at 12.46 pm on 3/12/2010...... LOL

Interesting though also that some people are calling for the reinstatement of Lord Triesman who resigned over his suggestions of corruption within FIFA and that Russia had offered to bribe referees in this year''s World Cup for the benefit of Spain. It seems that he may not have been to wide of the mark after all !!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Good old Boris :P Not quite as effective as pulling out of Fifa or something of the like, but they will have to pay for their hotels now....[/quote]

If thats all we were bribing them with, no wonder they gave it to Russia.