Sign in to follow this  
Wesbian

Expectations.

We''re approaching the halfway point in the season.Realistically, at the start of the season, did anyone expect us to be doing this well at this point?Are we exceeding your expectations or were you confident we''d be up there at this point in the season?What''s all your opinions on the season so far?Do you think we''ll still be here come the end of the season?Great win again today! OTBC!

[quote user="Curious Canary"]We''re approaching the halfway point in the season.Realistically, at the start of the season, did anyone expect us to be doing this well at this point?Are we exceeding your expectations or were you confident we''d be up there at this point in the season?What''s all your opinions on the season so far?Do you think we''ll still be here come the end of the season?Great win again today! OTBC![/quote]I for one didn''t expect anything better than mid table but I have to admit that the way things are going we have a great chance. I still feel we are conceeding too many goals for auto promotion but who knows what the new year will bring.

Jeez, people, we are not going to get in the play-offs let alone the automatic places. We are doing well but we won''t be able to sustain it. Get real and stop this shiite talk about going up and who we would buy.

"I don''t know how much longer I can continue the delusional long term optimism."

Well we are 4th and you''re a negative tw@, so maybe you need to change your sig

The way we outplayed Derby today proves to me that we are more than capable enough to maintain this level of performance and keep up the good reults. We also have key players out like Drury and other players like Whitbread and Smith who will look to prove themselves. Don''t forget that McNally has confirmed that we will have money to spend in January which will only make us stronger so I don''t see why not.

End of season prediction: 5th.

In August I thought that we would finish just below mid table so the lads have exceeded my expectations.

I''m still unsure if we are a really good side or if the Championship lacks real quality this year (beyond Cardiff & QPR).

Despite a couple of new signings in January & our current position I predict us now to finish 9th.

I certainly did - stuck enough money in August on them going up. For two reasons.

First one. I have not seen the club so well organised and determined for a fair while. We didn''t just win the league last year, we pee''ed it. The noises coming out of the club certainly gave me every confidence. One of the most important one being the recruiting of the ex Rangers scout, with the words that he will be used to locate players coming in in January and beyond. No player looks to have his place guaranteed, with one or two old favourites having to warm the bench - if only as a tactical option.

Second one. The pee poor state of so many other clubs. None of the three coming down looked to have the wherewithall to do much. In fact both Hull and Pompey looked candidates for collapse. There were others like Preston, Bristol City and Palace where they have overspent and were due a hard fall. It is probably the most open it has/will be for sometime. That can be seen by how narrow it has been from the top six to the bottom three.

The team needs tokeep the momentum going and grab and automatic spot before Xmas if not the New Year (or at least be a point or two off it). It will then be as last season or 2004. Catch us if you can. We need only to match other teams and up we go.

This coming transfer window will sort out who is going to be in the final race. As injuries start to mount there will be few who will be able to spend to bolster their squads. Many will be like the paupers (down the road) who will have to sell to stay afloat.

As to 9th, I struggle to see 8 teams better than us, so onwards and upwards.

Now Now fella''s calm it down!!

we have had injury''s and suspensions, and lost big players, ie drury surman, and now holt, and a host of players on 4 bookings.

we dont need that much, lansbury barnett and maybe a striker i would expect a playoff finish

why not? not so much a change of expectation but change of realism perhaps...

I think most would still be happy with the pre-season target of mid-table finish, however there is no reason why we can''t make the play-offs or beyond.

We have now seen every team bar pompey, coventry and sheff utd (all of which I expect to be similar to what we have already come up against) and were extremely competitive. We a hard-to-beat, competitive side that doesn''t give up, have we got a chance of getting promoted? yes, is it what should be expected/demanded? no

[quote user="icehockeyhair"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]And you''re a cun.t, now fudge off back to you''re mum''s gash and continue licking it you c.unt.[/quote]

Well what I said was true - negativity for no reason - we''re 4th and results don''t lie. Anyway if you want to pointlessly insult, I''ll plant a mango tree in your mom''s ass and fuck your sister in its shade.[/quote]Lol!

pre season you''d have been happy with mid table, now i don''t see any reason we can''t stay where we are, but there''s a long way to go yet and luck, injuries, suspensions will effect all teams.

Not long ago there was posts on here saying we were in the playoffs but hadn''t played hardly anyone in the top half and expecting us then to drop down the table. Well we''re still there and i don''t see a single team to be scared of this season, especially away from home

So who knows, with luck on our side i think we can stay there

I''m maybe a bit biased because I''ve only watched 6 games this year -> Forest, Preston, Bristol, Reading, Ipswich and Derby; but we''re unbeaten in them, so maybe as long as I continue to go, we''ll get promoted.

I think we have got better as the season has gone on and we definitely have a chance of auto promotion, we''ve had injuries already and haven''t been affected that much. Play offs at least imo.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I thought that if Lambert was able to carry on doing what he done last season and added to the squad then we could do well!

So I''m not that surprised!

[/quote]Me neither, apart from a couple of teams this league is pretty even.

Yeah I remember laughing at all the doom mongers at the end of last season proclaiming we will have change most of our team in order to do any good next season in the Championship. Christ sake this Leagues better than League 1 obviously but its not the Champions League!

People forget we only got relegated cause of bad managerial apointments and a disasterous loan player policy, not cause the Championship was such a wonderful brilliant League above our level! 

Well said grantroederdisaster. I''d hoped for top half, so in that respect the team is there. As for the end of the season, anything is possible. Lambert is capable of getting the best, and more, out of our boys. This league is never easy to predict. In fact, look at the PUPs thread so far this season and there have been a lot of upsets in what people have predicted would happen. No dead certs in the Premier League this season.

I would still be happy with a top half finish but think a play off place is not beyond us.The table is still really tight and one or two adverse results could see us slip to the mid point, but the team need congratulating for the results they have achieved so far.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]We''re approaching the halfway point in the season.
Realistically, at the start of the season, did anyone expect us to be doing this well at this point?
Are we exceeding your expectations or were you confident we''d be up there at this point in the season?
What''s all your opinions on the season so far?
Do you think we''ll still be here come the end of the season?

Great win again today! OTBC!
[/quote]

Yes.

http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2108249/ShowPost.aspx

I think play offs is a realistic expectation for this team, and while publicly Lambert maybe keeping a lid on it, in private I suspect this is a minimum for him.

Personally I think we have the best manager in the championship, his tactical acumen and positive approach will probably be worth about 10-15 points come the end of the season if not more. And in a mediocre league that is will be tight, those points will make a huge difference.

Considering our form, question is will it improve or deteriorate? To answer that question I would consider several points. Our bench is probably as strong as anyone''s in this league, so consistency in light of injuries and suspension should still be achievable. I think Holt (key player) has been below par in the first half, but now beginning to find his form and confidence - so I think our frontline will score more goals in the second half than the first half of the season. Ruddy has made a few gaffs but I expect him to improve. Leon Barnett has made a significant contribution, failing to secure his services for the second half of the season could have a detrimental affect on our chances.

Finally consider our fixtures. We have lost at home to Palace, Hull & Watford - I think we can improve on this in the 2nd half, whilst on the road we have visited QPR, Cardiff, Derby, Reading & Forest already.

Key to our push will be Barnett, Holt and January activity in the transfer window. But yes we have more chance than most, but automatic may be slightly out of reach, my prediction 83-87 points.

[quote user="ricardo"]. I still feel we are conceeding too many goals for auto promotion but who knows what the new year will bring.[/quote]

Spot on ricardo - set pieces remain our key problem but watching the last couple of games on TV has highlighted that the pairing while solid needs a lot more time yo work well as a unit.

We are missing Drurys influence but teams will soon see the weaknesses in our central pairing and aim to exploit it - unless lambert finds a way to shore it up better

[quote user="ricardo"]. I still feel we are conceeding too many goals for auto promotion but who knows what the new year will bring.[/quote]

Spot on ricardo - set pieces remain our key problem but watching the last couple of games on TV has highlighted that the pairing while solid needs a lot more time yo work well as a unit.

We are missing Drurys influence but teams will soon see the weaknesses in our central pairing and aim to exploit it - unless lambert finds a way to shore it up better

Pre season I was hoping for a mid table finish, now I think we could make a serious playoff bid providing our injury list doesn''t get any worse.

From what I have seen I don''t think there are any teams to really be fearful of, we''ve done the top 2 away and although we''ve only taken 1 point I''d have to stay we pretty much matched them.

My only concerns are not keeping Barnett for the rest of the season and our bench. Tudor-Jones, Nelson and Johnson are not game changers at this level. On the plus side we still have 5-6 players to come back from injury.

the thing that is most impressive is the way we are playing as a team, and the overall confidence of the players. all the squad have stepped up to the mark of championship football and are playing even better than last season (i.e. russell martin, i wasn''t convinced with him last season, but is a much improved player this season.)  if all squads stayed the same for the rest of the seasoni would expect a playoff spot, but transfer activity in january could change this. forrest have got aaron ramsey on loan for instance.

[quote user="star_manic"]the thing that is most impressive is the way we are playing as a team, and the overall confidence of the players. all the squad have stepped up to the mark of championship football and are playing even better than last season (i.e. russell martin, i wasn''t convinced with him last season, but is a much improved player this season.)  if all squads stayed the same for the rest of the seasoni would expect a playoff spot, but transfer activity in january could change this. forrest have got aaron ramsey on loan for instance.[/quote]

I agree, but in relation to Forrest..Aaron Ramsey on loan isn''t a big deal, he is only there for a month and I suspect Wenger will not allow an extension of the loan, in which case Forrest have a player on loan who on Monday night, was only fit enough to play the last 15-20 minutes. Our loan signing of Lansbury however, especially if extended, will be much more influential.

3 wins from 10 is hardly good form, but yet we find our selfs 4th on the back of 2 good wins, with a couple of players coming in during January similar to what happened in 2004 we''ll get top 6 easily, if not top 2. We''ve proberly just had the 2 worst months of the season. Its onwards and upwards from here.

At the outset I worried that we might not score sufficient goals - this seems a false fear now. We create so many chances and fail to take them, but we are scoring enough.

I can see little prospect of radical change to our other probelm, leaking goals. Nearly all of the defence have been guilty at some time, - it was Ward on Saturday. I can see Ruddy becoming difficult to beat, but we can''t replace the whole back four, and we really need to have a few clean sheets.

We are doing better than I expected, despite the injury list we have had at times. I think we shall continue to do well, although perhaps not making the play-offs.