Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

Nearly 7 years since we made the ultimate signing...

Bloody hell, was that 7 years ago!!??I remember the buzz around the ground that it was maybe going to happen, then Delia parading him on the pitch. Brilliant![:D]

Jeez, 7 years ago??!!?! I remember my dads mate phoning up in the morning telling us that he was signing and would be announced at the game, and we told him that he shouldn''t be drinking at that time of the day! Was such a great feeling when we found out it was true! I can''t think of any player we could sign now with that much quality, determination and pure love for the club.

I think the only one that would get close would be Lansbury, And that''ll be for the rest of the season, if that.

I remember hearing Chinese whispers on the way to the ground that he was signing, then he wasn''t etc etc, then the buzz got biger and bigger and when he was paraded, it was one of my best moments in football, sheer joy and brilliance.

Still grates me at his treatement and the way he left the club and also Dion got all the claps etc etc at Shef Wed, when everyone knew that Hucks was going. I remember Hucks coming over and waving and we all started clapping etc, big Dion came over and stole his thunder. Hey ho.

Time flies by when your having fun....... i did always like the 5 Huckerby''s, 4 huckerby''s, 3 Huckerby''s song at Christmas time, just because they used to sing it to Cantona

7 years? - Time flies indeed!. I can remember back then that Boxing Day became the new Christmas Day for me.

On another note, as an ex-Newcastle player, i''d be interested to know who Huck''s is putting his money on to replace Hughton? ;)

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Still grates me at his treatement and the way he left the club and also Dion got all the claps etc etc at Shef Wed, when everyone knew that Hucks was going. I remember Hucks coming over and waving and we all started clapping etc, big Dion came over and stole his thunder. Hey ho.[/quote]

I was gutted that day, all because of Hucks. Yes, Dion was going too, we got stuffed by a poor team, and it was the first day i really became concerned about the following season, but we saw the last of a truly great player, and he barely got a send off.

Felt sick to the stomach; cheated even. I hated Roeder for what he did to a true City great, and to us. Strange how football takes you sometimes.

The signing, and the player, was utterly unique. We''ll not see his like again, i fear. Football has ''moved on''.

My father took me to my first game in the early 60''s, and in my humble opinion Hucks is the greatest player we have ever signed.

So yes, I would agree with the ultimate signing. I wonder how long we will have to wait for someone to steal his crown.

If you look at it purely in terms of the calibre of the signing rather than the legend that the man became then an equivalent would probably be an out of favour striker from somewhere like Aston Villa.

Emile Heskey anyone?

[;)]

7 years, to me it feels longer, honestly seems like it''s been decades since we last saw Huckerby causing mayhem down the left hand side cutting in on to his right foot in one of his trade mark runs. Every time he got the ball their was an air of anticipation that he could make something happen, don''t know when or if ever we will get a player of that type of caliber again at Carrow Road.

That day we played Notts Forest I have never been so excited before a game! I was in Virgin when my then girlfriend phoned me & told me he was signing. I was on an instant high & headed straight for Riverside & as I got close to Weatherspoons I could hear Huckerby''s name being sung. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end & that point I said that''s it, we''re promoted!!  We''ll never sign anyone like Hucks again unfortunately!

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]7 years, to me it feels longer, honestly seems like it''s been decades since we last saw Huckerby causing mayhem down the left hand side cutting in on to his right foot in one of his trade mark runs. Every time he got the ball their was an air of anticipation that he could make something happen, don''t know when or if ever we will get a player of that type of caliber again at Carrow Road. [/quote]

I dont know, we have had some great players over recent history, two of my favourites, ruel fox and chris sutton.

Hux of course, but those two were also amazing.