Sign in to follow this  
super dave

Should wrongful yellow cards be resinded?

I''ve just been listening to the Npower Football League podcast and I feel it''s raised an interesting point..There was an interview in the podcast with a guy called Dave Allison (sp?) who''s the head of the football league referees.During the interview, Dave was talking about how clubs now have the right to contact him if they''ve got a problem with a refereeing decision made during a game.He would look at the incident and then explain to the manager why the referee made the decision, regardless of if it was the correct one.He then mentioned how decisions are highlighted from many different angles on tv which the ref doesn''t get to see which can prove if the correct decision was made or not and he was alluding to our recent derby game with Ipswich.Steve Claridge then said that it had recently happened during the Norwich v Ipswich game, obviously regarding the Jackson penalty incident. It was said that the ref couldn''t have given the pen from the angle that he saw it, but basically when it was seen from another angle that it was the wrong decision not to give it.Dave Allison then said that when things like that happen, he''ll sit down with the ref in question and go through ways he can improve his positioning, etc... so that if the same kind of incident was to arise again, the ref would be able to have a better chance of making the correct decision.My point is that surely if this kind of scenario arises when clearly a wrong decision has been made, shouldn''t there be some kind of retrospective action taken to try and correct the wrong decision that was made? Shouldn''t Jackson get his yellow card for a supposed dive resinded as it''s been proven afterwards that the wrong decision at the time was made.Obviously Jackson getting wrongly booked could have led to a suspension meaning the team would have been punished twice. Once for the incorrect decision during the game and secondly for having to be without a player for a game due to a suspension when they shouldn''t have been.The interview was around 45 mins into the podcast if anyones interested.

[quote user="super dave"]I''ve just been listening to the Npower Football League podcast and I feel it''s raised an interesting point..

There was an interview in the podcast with a guy called Dave Allison (sp?) who''s the head of the football league referees.

During the interview, Dave was talking about how clubs now have the right to contact him if they''ve got a problem with a refereeing decision made during a game.

He would look at the incident and then explain to the manager why the referee made the decision, regardless of if it was the correct one.

He then mentioned how decisions are highlighted from many different angles on tv which the ref doesn''t get to see which can prove if the correct decision was made or not and he was alluding to our recent derby game with Ipswich.

Steve Claridge then said that it had recently happened during the Norwich v Ipswich game, obviously regarding the Jackson penalty incident. It was said that the ref couldn''t have given the pen from the angle that he saw it, but basically when it was seen from another angle that it was the wrong decision not to give it.

Dave Allison then said that when things like that happen, he''ll sit down with the ref in question and go through ways he can improve his positioning, etc... so that if the same kind of incident was to arise again, the ref would be able to have a better chance of making the correct decision.

My point is that surely if this kind of scenario arises when clearly a wrong decision has been made, shouldn''t there be some kind of retrospective action taken to try and correct the wrong decision that was made? Shouldn''t Jackson get his yellow card for a supposed dive resinded as it''s been proven afterwards that the wrong decision at the time was made.

Obviously Jackson getting wrongly booked could have led to a suspension meaning the team would have been punished twice. Once for the incorrect decision during the game and secondly for having to be without a player for a game due to a suspension when they shouldn''t have been.

The interview was around 45 mins into the podcast if anyones interested.

[/quote]

YES, I believe it should be possible to challenge yellow cards in exactly the same way as reds.  They build up to a suspension and also have a definite bearing on the way in which a player has ro conduct himself for the remainder of a game for fear of a second yellow and the sending off.  At present it is the clubs, players and therefore the paying supporters who suffer for referee''s errors with very little, if any punishment being handed out to the officials when they do something wrong.  If we are going to continue to ignore video technology as used in Rugby and Cricket etc. to ''assist'' the officials in making correct decisions, then I believe it is even more important that they are nade more accountable for their actions. 

I think no, personally. Well maybe yes, but with very strict controls in place, like a club can only challenge a certain amount of cards per season, otherwise EVERY single card would be challenged and we would go round and round in circles of paperwork.The most important point really is that refs who get decisions wrong on a regular basis are demoted.I am for video technology on teh goal line but not for every single incident, it would stall the game and totally undermine the ref.

I agree with Morty.would be nice see some yellow cards get resinded cos there are a ridiculus amount of bad yellow card decisions, however it would undermine the authority of the ref too much. There''s also the problem that if someone got a yellow card early on in a game, he''s gonna spend the rest of it making sure he doesnt get another one (if he has some common sense), so by resinding the yellow card given early it seems to me to be a little unfair, as the chance of him getting a yellow card for the rest of the game is much less likely than those who haven''t already got a yellow card. Basically the yellow card (which eventually gets resinded) makes hes immune from getting another one in the game- thats a stetch to far trying to get them resinded i thinki dunno if that makes any sense in words, works in my head