Sign in to follow this  
Pi$$ed As A Mattress

World Cup Fallout..Who do YOU blame?

So Fifa say we are bad losers. We say we were cheated out of The 2018 World Cup but who do you blame?.

Do you blame Panorama for airing their slander programme in the week prior to the decision being made?. Or do you believe that there is no smoke without fire, and Fifa should not have let this influence their decision?.

Have the team at the BBC cost us by their timing of airing or did they simply prove that Fifa is corrupt, which they are proving now?

Discuss ......

You can look at all the media stuff but at the end of the day we still had the best bid by a mile.  We invented football, we are the ''motherland'' of football I can''t see how it didn''t go to us.

[quote user="Boyo"]You can look at all the media stuff but at the end of the day we still had the best bid by a mile.  We invented football, we are the ''motherland'' of football I can''t see how it didn''t go to us.[/quote]

Not according to Sepp.China is now being credited with starting it[:|]

And also,it wasn''t just the BBC,The Times also had a go.

[quote user="Boyo''"]You can look at all the media stuff but at the end of the day we still had the best bid by a mile.  We invented football, we are the ''motherland'' of football I can''t see how it didn''t go to us

...because FIFA do not understand ironic humour, such as yours. ''Motherland'' my arse...people have been kicking: stones, pigs bladders, their women for thousands of years.. just because we attributed a few rules (which have been changed beyond recognition) does not give us a divine right to claim anything...I don''t have a problem with Russia getting it. Qatar.... well I have to go to bed tonight so I can''t be arsed to start on that one.

Does it really matter? Norwich were not going to get any of the games any way but to be honest I think making our bid in English only was for the birds. I spent 10 years selling waterheaters for Heatrae thru Europe and Africa and although I am only fluent in French and German I could at least say please and thank you in seventeen languages.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Boyo"]You can look at all the media stuff but at the end of the day we still had the best bid by a mile.  We invented football, we are the ''motherland'' of football I can''t see how it didn''t go to us.[/quote]

Not according to Sepp.China is now being credited with starting it[:|]

[/quote]To be fair there is a fair amount of evidence which backs that up. We codified the game and then spread it around the world but Mr Blatter would doubtless argue that that is slightly different.

[quote user="Boyo"]You can look at all the media stuff but at the end of the day we still had the best bid by a mile.  We invented football, we are the ''motherland'' of football I can''t see how it didn''t go to us.[/quote]Have you actually read the other bids? Russia''s bid was far, far better than ours. We just said "We have a bunch of ageing stadiums, and you can make lots of money in ticket sales. You in??" FIFA said, "No, thanks. We''d rather go somewhere and develop the game a little bit"In the 2006 bid England had a better technical report than Germany, in the 2010 bid South Africa had a very poor technical bid. It basically counts for nothing, FIFA like the idea of taking risk and developing new markets. For them there is absolutely no gain in an England World Cup. This is why we only got one vote apart from our own.As for bribery, England played a friendly in Trinidad to keep Jack Warner happy and England were going to play a friendly in Thailand to secure the Thai vote. As soon as we lost the bid we pulled out of the Thai friendly. It isn''t about how rich a country is, Germany and South Africa don''t stand out as oil rich countries. The feeling around FIFA was the Germany World Cup was good in standards in football, but wasn''t interesting. Playing football in Germany? So what? Playing football in England? So what?

Just as an aside i watched Sky Sports the other morning and the Aussies are up in arms at Qatar winning the 2022 bid.They claimed to have 14 nailed on votes and ended up with 8 and stated how can you give the World Cup to a country the size of Fiji and a population no bigger than Zurich.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Just as an aside i watched Sky Sports the other morning and the Aussies are up in arms at Qatar winning the 2022 bid.They claimed to have 14 nailed on votes and ended up with 8 and stated how can you give the World Cup to a country the size of Fiji and a population no bigger than Zurich.

[/quote]That''s kind of true.

In the first round of voting, we had guarantees of 6 votes. We thought

we needed to get into the final rounds to have a chance, due to the

alleged 7 vote deal between Qatar & Spain / Portugal. The thinking

was that once Korea & Japan were knocked out, we''d get most of those

votes, and then end up beating USA with Asian votes from Qatar, as

they would rather vote for us than a bid from America.

In the end, "something" happened, we only got one vote from the promised

6, and got beat by worst technical & commercial bid of any 2018 or

2022 bid.

Money talks, and it''s left a pretty sour taste on a lot of Australian mouths.

How Qatar is going to host a world cup, in that heat, on a tiny desert

peninsula, with a population the size of Kent, in an area slightly larger than the size of North Yorkshire, with no infrastructure, and probably no one going to the

games is beyond me. However, FIFA appears more concerned with

maintaining a voting system that lends itself to deception, rather than

making decisions that make sense.

I feel for England, and think you should have got 2018 hands down.

However, the Russian bid did make some sense, even if it wasn''t the best

bid. Qatar 2022 makes no sense on any level.

Shack,the chinese are claiming that they have invented a lot of things,and i am not buying it. What next,cricket? :-)

We had a good package and presented it well on the last day.  But as with most politics its about pressing the flesh over a long period of time.  We started our campaign significantly (2years) later than everyone else,  and over relied on both having the structure in place now and being the home of football rather than recognising the dangers of, like the olympics, wanting to spread the experience around the world.

We knew we were dealing with an organisation littered with scandals and bid naively and yes we have reacted like bad losers having congratulated ourselves on a polished article that had not been communicated to the rest of the world in away that won their hearts - it seems we sold it to the UK market only.  that inability to communicate with the rest of the footballing world, or manage a relationship with them, sits squarely with the FA and bid team.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

A caller on Talksport suggested that we put Ruislip forward for our next bid as it is roughly the same size as Qatar.

Anyone blamed Delia yet?Joking apart, we just have to get used to the fact that most of the world actually dislikes Great Britain. Whether it be because of us climbing into bed with the Americans at every war opportunity, our inability to shake off the football hooligan image, or just the embarrassing behaviour of our holidaymakers abroad, vomitting in the streets of many a lovely resort!As a nation we are generally disliked, see Eurovision voting for another example.

Seriously though, I blame our politicians for not bribing FIFA with enough money. Rumour has it that Russia has made a ''secret'' payment of 70 million pounds to Argentina to oil the voting-wheels.

i think fifa are to blame, they changed the critera, if we knew that they wanted to expand the boundaries of football then we wouldnt of wasted the 15million odd quid on the bid.

Its quite clear fifa is corrupt and once your on that executive board your pretty much royalty in every football country as you hold so much power.

I can take loseing to russia but i cant take only getting one vote that wasnt ourselves. Its clear we didnt "oil" any deals with members beyond the norm. Blatter will never let england host a world cup while he works for fifa and i for one look forward to the day he steps down one way or the other.

How soleless is the 2022 WC going to be hardly any traveling fans not many fans from qatar just the billionaire oil tycoons. Gutted australia didnt get the world cup would of been fantastic.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]I blame Dave - he lacks depth (according to the governor of The Bank of England).[/quote]

Yes, not enough ''moral hazard''...... LOL

[quote user="Herman "]Shack,the chinese are claiming that they have invented a lot of things,and i am not buying it. What next,cricket? :-)[/quote]They''re not having cricket off us. We''re actually pretty good at that [:D]To be fair China is not the only country that can claim to have ''invented'' football. There''s plenty of documentary evidence of a very similar game to the early versions of football played in this country being played in Latin America prior to the Spanish invasion in the 15th-16th century. We certainly developed the rules of the game that we know today but even that took some time with early variants of the game still allowing players to pick the ball up and kick opponents without being penalised.If you''re interested in more information The Ball Is Round by David Goldblatt is a pretty comprehensive history of the game of football.

My dislike of Blatter blinds me[:$] Thinking about it properly,kicking a round thing about is not too complex to think up.Cheers for the book tip,i will check it out.