Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Leigh Griffiths

We are chasing this young striker according to some reports, good player and a signing that I would be happy with. Ironically I just bought him for Norwich on FM2011....

He''s 20 years old and 5 ft 11. He plays for Dundee having started at Livingstone (would Lambert know him from there?). He''s scored 1 every 2 games in 90 appearances.

He would have joined West Brom in 09 following a successful trial but for Mowbray being sacked.

Sounds like the kind of player Lambert would go for to me.

Anyone got a source?

Said a few times I''d like us to get him.

A good, young player who''d add vital competition in an area we''re a bit short - all on the cheap!

Would be very happy if we signed him. Potentially a top-drawer player.

I and I suspect some others know him because of FM11. If he''s half as good as he is on there then he''d be a cracking signing. Can''t see us being the only ones interested though.

If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?

[quote user="morty"]If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?
[/quote]

A very good point you raise there mate.

TBH those two would not get in ahead of Holty, C.M or SJ at the moment and bringing in Leigh Griffiths or any other striker would mean they get pushed back even further down the pecking order.

I would suggest a move to Gillingham might become permanent for Cody.

[quote user="CT"]

[quote user="morty"]If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?
[/quote]

TBH those two would not get in ahead of Holty, C.M or SJ at the moment and bringing in Leigh Griffiths or any other striker would mean they get pushed back even further down the pecking order.

[/quote]

Not sure on that. I think if Cody keeps banging in goals and has something near 20 by the end of the season someone in league one would take a gamble on him. His pace means that if you have players capable of playing good through balls he will score buckets.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="CT"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Not sure on that. I think if Cody keeps banging in goals and has something near 20 by the end of the season someone in league one would take a gamble on him. His pace means that if you have players capable of playing good through balls he will score buckets.[/quote]

Maybe a move to Portaloo Road is in order for young Cody then???

http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2276212/ShowPost.aspx

Never mentioned Griffiths eh?

I said I''d prefer him here to Rickie Lambert, and suggested we make the most of the financial position of his (Griffiths) club...

All on 26th September...almost two months ago now!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="CT"]

[quote user="morty"]If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure on that. I think if Cody keeps banging in goals and has something near 20 by the end of the season someone in league one would take a gamble on him. His pace means that if you have players capable of playing good through balls he will score buckets.[/quote]If he''s scored 20 by the end of the season we should bloody keep him! Especially seeing as he''s been hampered by injury.Grant Holt scarcely missed a game in League Two at Shrewsbury and went on to score 20 goals as a 28 year old. If McDonald happens to emulate that as a 24 year old in a far more depleted side, less capable of providing him with the opportunities he relies on, we should seriously consider keeping him. I''d even go as far to say that if he simply reaches double figures this season the door must remain open to him. I must admit to only having seen him in brief moments on the telly in his loan spell, but 2 or 3 of his goals this season really are a class above that league from what i''ve seen.We really have to refrain from being rash with Cody. It was always going to be a long term project developing a player having had no professional coaching by the age of 21, given how deep into to the depths of the non-league we ventured to pry him from. But as people in football so often forget these days, when there is a glimmer of promise, given time, care and attention, it will generally go on to burn brighter.

lol - I used him with Norwich in the Champ and Prem. he''s just hit 15 goals and 15 assists in our first year back in the prem and worth £6m...

Wishful thinking.

I don''t for a second think we should be buying players based on there FM2011 performances.

But might be worth a punt for £110k

Bit off topic, but perhaps one of the players Lambert was talking about could be Leon Best? I think he''s still at Newcastle and doesn''t feature at all. Would be a good signing at this level.

[quote user="John"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="CT"]

[quote user="morty"]If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure on that. I think if Cody keeps banging in goals and has something near 20 by the end of the season someone in league one would take a gamble on him. His pace means that if you have players capable of playing good through balls he will score buckets.[/quote]If he''s scored 20 by the end of the season we should bloody keep him! Especially seeing as he''s been hampered by injury.Grant Holt scarcely missed a game in League Two at Shrewsbury and went on to score 20 goals as a 28 year old. If McDonald happens to emulate that as a 24 year old in a far more depleted side, less capable of providing him with the opportunities he relies on, we should seriously consider keeping him. I''d even go as far to say that if he simply reaches double figures this season the door must remain open to him. I must admit to only having seen him in brief moments on the telly in his loan spell, but 2 or 3 of his goals this season really are a class above that league from what i''ve seen.We really have to refrain from being rash with Cody. It was always going to be a long term project developing a player having had no professional coaching by the age of 21, given how deep into to the depths of the non-league we ventured to pry him from. But as people in football so often forget these days, when there is a glimmer of promise, given time, care and attention, it will generally go on to burn brighter.[/quote]

exactly what i was thinking just couldn''t be arsed to write it

[quote user="Big Slob"]Bit off topic, but perhaps one of the players Lambert was talking about could be Leon Best? I think he''s still at Newcastle and doesn''t feature at all. Would be a good signing at this level.[/quote]

terrible player mosy laziest person in the world

gary madine could be a good bet

I feel we need a younger back-up for Holt. Chris Martin is the closest at the moment, and Johnson is 6'', with pace as well - but he is hardly a CF type who can hold the ball up. Griffiths lacks Holt''s strength, but might be a different option up front and at 20, his age is right. He certainly has an eye for goal and can score with his head as well as with sixxling volleys. Might be the answer. I know YouTube highlights can be misleading, but this one does give a good idea of his strengths:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCOqRmmFr0U

Sorry, that should have said ''sizzling volleys''. Having watched again, I notice that he seems equally comfortable shooting with either foot. I just wonder if he might have the same sort of impact as James Mackie has had for QPR.