Sign in to follow this  
Robert Ketts Yellow Army

Simeon Jackson

Good first half (better than Martin) but didn''t see enough of him second half, but we never gave him much to work with.

For me Lansbury wasn''t really at the races today and it was no surprise to see him taken off (probably a bit too late).

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]No better than Oli or Cody based on today''s performance...[/quote]

You could easily say the same thing about Chris Martin based on this afternoon.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]No better than Oli or Cody based on today''s performance...[/quote]

[/quote]Matrins two efforts were on target. One worked the keeper and the other luckily deflected by a defender.Jackson had the two guilt edged chances of the afternoon and fluffed them both. The rest of his play was ok but a striker keeps his place by scoring goals and for me Jackson remains an impact player only.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Matrins two efforts were on target. One worked the keeper and the other luckily deflected by a defender.Jackson had the two guilt edged chances of the afternoon and fluffed them both. The rest of his play was ok but a striker keeps his place by scoring goals and for me Jackson remains an impact player only.[/quote]Totally agreed

I think the OP is a little harsh here.

I''m not Jackson''s biggest fan by any stretch but from my viewpoint at the top of the Barclay, he couldn''t quite get the ball out from under him for the first chance and, as for the second chance, he did well to get as much head on it as he did.

During the 2nd half, there were at least a dozen occasions that he was waiting for the through balls to run onto. But they never arrived because Ward and Barnett were swanning around thinking they were Hansen & Lawrenson passing it back & forth to each other. He had to constantly check his run and never got the pass anyway.

Discuss

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]I think the OP is a little harsh here.

I''m not Jackson''s biggest fan by any stretch but from my viewpoint at the top of the Barclay, he couldn''t quite get the ball out from under him for the first chance and, as for the second chance, he did well to get as much head on it as he did.

During the 2nd half, there were at least a dozen occasions that he was waiting for the through balls to run onto. But they never arrived because Ward and Barnett were swanning around thinking they were Hansen & Lawrenson passing it back & forth to each other. He had to constantly check his run and never got the pass anyway.

Discuss[/quote]

ROFL dont forget Fox as the 3rd culpret but yes it was frustraiting !!

I don''t think Jackson gets the service he requires; but having said that, he cannot miss chances like he had. He''s here with a reputation of putting chances away and today he had the easiest chances to do that and failed.

I think Jackson gets treated a little unfairly.  He is a thrid choice striker and usually only gets about 20 minutes game time and then when either Holt or Martin are out he is expected to score a couple of goals, win us the game and then sit on the bench again.

Jackson plays of the shoulder and relies on good service and being a poacher.  When your this type of striker it is hard to make an immediate impact in a situation like today because he doesn''t go and make chances for himself he relies on others and the other players need time to adapt to his style of play and the type of runs he likes to make.  I saw him constantly in good positions but no one found him or were quick enough to realise that he needs a ball played to him.

Today though he probably should have scored at least one.  The header seemed a much harder chance than many are making out but I do sit at the other end of the ground.  His first chance though he definately should have scored but again, I sit at the other end so I may have missed something.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Matrins two efforts were on target. One worked the keeper and the other luckily deflected by a defender.

Jackson had the two guilt edged chances of the afternoon and fluffed them both. The rest of his play was ok but a striker keeps his place by scoring goals and for me Jackson remains an impact player only.
[/quote]

Yup, I totally agree. I turned away from Jackson''s first miss wishing it had been Martin in that position.

Having said that, for me, Chris Martin didn''t do a lot else. As usual he was generally neat and tidy in what he did but he never truly worried the Pompey defence, he never worried them like Nugent worried us. I actually thought Simeon Jackson filled in more of the Grant Holt leg work in the first half and for me that''s where Chris Martin should have been saying to himself that he was going to step up to the plate and take a few for the team.

Simeon had two fantastic chances, one he fluffed and one he fluffed again. However it takes a good striker with a good understanding of the game to get into those positions.

I also thought Chris Martin had a decent game today, he linked well with the midfield and had a couple of really decent efforts, one was very well saved and the other cleared by the back of a defenders head. He also won quite a few flick-ons, probably as many as Holty does, however Holty wins a lot more freekicks.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]600k could have been better spent in the summer on a more ''proven'' championship striker. I said it then and I will say again now, we should have gone for Clinton Morrison instead.[/quote]

The same ''proven'' Championship stiker who is plugging his trade in the league below... No seriously, once upon a time I''d have agreed but the amount of goals he scores currently do no compensate for his attitude. I''m know a lad involved with the set up at Palace and knows him socially and he maintains that Clinton''s attitude has always been the biggest cintributory factor in hindering his career.

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]600k could have been better spent in the summer on a more ''proven'' championship striker. I said it then and I will say again now, we should have gone for Clinton Morrison instead.[/quote]

The same ''proven'' Championship stiker who is plugging his trade in the league below... No seriously, once upon a time I''d have agreed but the amount of goals he scores currently do no compensate for his attitude. I''m know a lad involved with the set up at Palace and knows him socially and he maintains that Clinton''s attitude has always been the biggest cintributory factor in hindering his career.

[/quote]

Sheff Weds aren''t your ordinary league 1 side, and can probably offer more than a lot of championship clubs. I don''t know how many other championship clubs were interested in him in the summer and whether he chose Weds over them?, maybe a lot of championship clubs already thought that they had proven strikers already at their club?. We on the other hand were going into a new league with Holt,Martin,Johnson and McDonald....none of which had any kind of track record at this level. We needed/and still needed better back up for Holt and Martin and what I do know for sure is that I would have backed Morrison ahead of Jackson to score that one on one he scuffed in the first half yesterday.

I think Jackson is ok playing beside Holt but struggles with Martin alongside him, he is the pacy one among the strikers and yesterday was a perfect example of why we need to sign a big striker to compete with Holt. Should have gone in for Stead when he left scum in the summer, would have been ideal back up for Holt.