Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Cody scores again

Six goals in fourteen games for a League Two side - he''s not going to do anything at Championship level really, I reckon he''ll stay with the Gills and good luck to him.  When you consider he was putting up scaffolding for a living three years ago, his life''s been turned around for the better and well done Bryan Gunn for giving him his chance.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Six goals in fourteen games for a League Two side - he''s not going to do anything at Championship level really, I reckon he''ll stay with the Gills and good luck to him.  When you consider he was putting up scaffolding for a living three years ago, his life''s been turned around for the better and well done Bryan Gunn for giving him his chance.

[/quote]

He missed the first part of the season because of a bad injury and has been playing catch-up ever since, so it''s not really fair to criticise him too much. I''m confident he will improve as the season develops as long as he remains injury-free.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Six goals in fourteen games for a League Two side - he''s not going to do anything at Championship level really, I reckon he''ll stay with the Gills and good luck to him.  When you consider he was putting up scaffolding for a living three years ago, his life''s been turned around for the better and well done Bryan Gunn for giving him his chance.[/quote]

He missed the first part of the season because of a bad injury and has been playing catch-up ever since, so it''s not really fair to criticise him too much. I''m confident he will improve as the season develops as long as he remains injury-free.

[/quote]Yeah, fair enough.  And playing week in week out might help develop him, it certainly helped Chris Martin at Luton.

Maybe we should swap him back for Jackson and hopefully jackson could find how to score again!

i really dont see what we''re learning about McDonald by him playing league two?, so what if he goes there and scores 12-15 goals at that level.....''so he bloody well should!''. McDonald isn''t a young player anymore, hes 23 and should be playing in someones first team. The only way we''re going to find out if hes good enough for the championship is by playing him in the championship!

I think Chris Martin is starting to look decent in the championship. His record in league 2 was 11 goals in 40 games for Luton. So don''t rule out Cody making an impression yet.

I don''t mean to be pretentious by not writing a direct reply to this thread, more i feel i covered my take on the matter in a discussion a couple of days ago, and that to write a new comment would be unnecessary...[quote user="John"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="CT"]

[quote user="morty"]If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?[/quote]

A very good point you raise there mate.

TBH those two would not get in ahead of Holty, C.M or SJ at the

moment and bringing in Leigh Griffiths or any other striker would mean

they get pushed back even further down the pecking order.

I would suggest a move to Gillingham might become permanent for Cody.

[/quote]

Not

sure on that. I think if Cody keeps banging in goals and has something

near 20 by the end of the season someone in league one would take a

gamble on him. His pace means that if you have players capable of

playing good through balls he will score buckets.[/quote]If he''s scored 20 by the end of the season we should bloody keep him! Especially seeing as he''s been hampered by injury.Grant

Holt scarcely missed a game in League Two at Shrewsbury and went on to

score 20 goals as a 28 year old. If McDonald happens to emulate that as a

24 year old in a far more depleted side, less capable of providing him

with the opportunities he relies on, we should seriously consider

keeping him. I''d even go as far to say that if he simply reaches double

figures this season the door must remain open to him. I must admit to

only having seen him in brief moments on the telly in his loan spell,

but 2 or 3 of his goals this season really are a class above that league

from what i''ve seen.We really have to refrain from being rash

with Cody. It was always going to be a long term project developing a

player having had no professional coaching by the age of 21, given how

deep into to the depths of the non-league we ventured to pry him from.

But as people in football so often forget these days, when there is a

glimmer of promise, given time, care and attention, it will generally go

on to burn brighter.[/quote]

[quote user="John"]I don''t mean to be pretentious by not writing a direct reply to this thread, more i feel i covered my take on the matter in a discussion a couple of days ago, and that to write a new comment would be unnecessary...[quote user="John"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="CT"]

[quote user="morty"]If this were to come off, I wonder where it leaves our other "promising" strikers, Oli and Cody?[/quote]

A very good point you raise there mate.

TBH those two would not get in ahead of Holty, C.M or SJ at the

moment and bringing in Leigh Griffiths or any other striker would mean

they get pushed back even further down the pecking order.

I would suggest a move to Gillingham might become permanent for Cody.

[/quote]

Not

sure on that. I think if Cody keeps banging in goals and has something

near 20 by the end of the season someone in league one would take a

gamble on him. His pace means that if you have players capable of

playing good through balls he will score buckets.[/quote]If he''s scored 20 by the end of the season we should bloody keep him! Especially seeing as he''s been hampered by injury.Grant

Holt scarcely missed a game in League Two at Shrewsbury and went on to

score 20 goals as a 28 year old. If McDonald happens to emulate that as a

24 year old in a far more depleted side, less capable of providing him

with the opportunities he relies on, we should seriously consider

keeping him. I''d even go as far to say that if he simply reaches double

figures this season the door must remain open to him. I must admit to

only having seen him in brief moments on the telly in his loan spell,

but 2 or 3 of his goals this season really are a class above that league

from what i''ve seen.We really have to refrain from being rash

with Cody. It was always going to be a long term project developing a

player having had no professional coaching by the age of 21, given how

deep into to the depths of the non-league we ventured to pry him from.

But as people in football so often forget these days, when there is a

glimmer of promise, given time, care and attention, it will generally go

on to burn brighter.[/quote][/quote]I don''t mean to appear to be changing my mind in the face of your above post but I think I might agree with you.

From what I''ve seen of Macdonald, he seems the sort of natural goalscorer who will always pop up in the right place at the right time and will score goals at any level!

That said Jackson would also score plenty of goals at League 2 level and Macdonald had some ordinary games for us in League 1 last season so its hard to judge whos better although I doubt that many players would be able to score the goal that Jackson did against Swansea earlier on?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

From what I''ve seen of Macdonald, he seems the sort of natural goalscorer who will always pop up in the right place at the right time and will score goals at any level!

That said Jackson would also score plenty of goals at League 2 level and Macdonald had some ordinary games for us in League 1 last season so its hard to judge whos better although I doubt that many players would be able to score the goal that Jackson did against Swansea earlier on?

[/quote]

To be fair to Cody, I think most of his chances which were pretty sparse were not alongside Holt and I think that is where he would perform at his best. Jackson or Martin are too lightweight IMO to bring out the best in him. I hope that any ideas on Leigh Griffiths will be binned as he is definitely no better or pacier, and Cody is given the proper chance alongside Holt that he deserves.