Sign in to follow this  
zak123

Barnett- just a 1 match ban.

Just watched the football league show and a couple of things I can make out about the incident:

- He had the yellow card (+red) before he threw the ball

- To say he threw it at the ref with any intent would be wrong, he was barely even looking at him. So i would imagine if he went and apologised afterwards, he should be okay.

- This means it was not a straight red for the throw as I had heard many fans speculating on the walk from the ground.

- So I cannot see any additional ban.

- This means he will get a 1 match ban for a red with 2 yellows and annoyingly will still be on 4 yellows, but i can take that!

[quote user="zak123"]Just watched the football league show and a couple of things I can make out about the incident:

- He had the yellow card (+red) before he threw the ball

- To say he threw it at the ref with any intent would be wrong, he was barely even looking at him. So i would imagine if he went and apologised afterwards, he should be okay.

- This means it was not a straight red for the throw as I had heard many fans speculating on the walk from the ground.

- So I cannot see any additional ban.

- This means he will get a 1 match ban for a red with 2 yellows and annoyingly will still be on 4 yellows, but i can take that![/quote] To me it looked like he threw the ball at the ref anger, and although he had already received his red card he may be given a longer ban retrospectively. It all depends on what the referee writes in his match report. Some people have been saying he was just passing the ball back to the ref, which he clearly wasn''t.  I wouldn''t be surprised if he was given an additional 1 or 2 match ban. Although with the unpredictability of the Football League disciplinary panel, I wouldn''t be surprised if nothing more was made of the incident.

He didn''t mean to hit the ref, wasn''t even looking at him so imo he didn''t intend to hit him and whether there was intent is the important point. Would be harsh to give him a ban for that but with our luck they''ll probably give him a ten game ban.

[quote user="kdncfc"]He didn''t mean to hit the ref, wasn''t even looking at him so imo he didn''t intend to hit him and whether there was intent is the important point. Would be harsh to give him a ban for that but with our luck they''ll probably give him a ten game ban.[/quote]He threw the ball at the ref in a strop, I think his intention was pretty clear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wtxrx/The_Football_League_Show_2010_2011_Episode_19/

8mins 20 in, definately aimed at the ref, knew what he was doing, pure petulance...luckily the ref doesn''t appear to be the type to want to be the centre of attention.

However Barnett can have no complaints of an extended ban. A 10-game ban seems extremely excessive and I would personally hand out a 3 game ban, you simply can''t do what he did.

[quote user="ron obvious"]When will we know? Getting very concerned, because some people seem to think it''s a nailed on 10 match ban!

[/quote]Anyone saying that is just over reacting.  Some guy in Italy or Spain, can''t remember which off the top of my head got a 5 game ban for pushing a ref .  I would think Barnett will get a fine and a warning from the FA, possibly another match ban.  This incident has been taking way over the top if you ask me.

[quote user="StevoM"][quote user="ron obvious"]When will we know? Getting very concerned, because some people seem to think it''s a nailed on 10 match ban!

[/quote]Anyone saying that is just over reacting.  Some guy in Italy or Spain, can''t remember which off the top of my head got a 5 game ban for pushing a ref .  I would think Barnett will get a fine and a warning from the FA, possibly another match ban.  This incident has been taking way over the top if you ask me.[/quote]In the eyes of the disciplinary panel, it will be considered as assault on a match official. Admittedly it''s right down the lower end of the scale, but I can''t see him getting any less than three additional games.

It''s nice to see so many of you standing up to support Leon and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

However, I sit in in the Barclay and there is no doubt in my mind that he intentionally threw the ball at the ref. But I have to admit it was pretty funny.

I agree he will probably be given a three match ban.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="StevoM"][quote user="ron obvious"]

When will we know? Getting very concerned, because some people seem to think it''s a nailed on 10 match ban!

[/quote]

Anyone saying that is just over reacting.  Some guy in Italy or Spain, can''t remember which off the top of my head got a 5 game ban for pushing a ref .  I would think Barnett will get a fine and a warning from the FA, possibly another match ban.  This incident has been taking way over the top if you ask me.
[/quote]
In the eyes of the disciplinary panel, it will be considered as assault on a match official. Admittedly it''s right down the lower end of the scale, but I can''t see him getting any less than three additional games.
[/quote]

If the FA charge him using the word assault if they are consistent it will be a 10 game ban. Personally I think he will be charged with less, maybe I am being optimistic, but I suspect he will get a huge fine from the club. Again my opinion but I think those saying it is blown up are wearing green and yellow specs, if you had seen that on mod done by anyone I think people would realise this could  be very serious. There is no way in my opinion that the fa could possibly ignore the incident as that would then make it ok at all levels of football to assault referees. 

Its clear that the ref booked him for the foul that conceeded the penalty - which was a second yellow so the red followed. As a second yellow he cant appeal (it seemed a harsh yellow to me, was a pen but he was going away from goal and pen usually enough in that situation)

Barnett clearly thought either that it was not a penalty or warranted a yellow or both - but clearly got angry and the threw the ball.

If Barnett mitigated quickly by apologising post match it may not be mentioned in the refs report. That seems unlikely - like holts suspension we will just have to suffer the absence. Shame like holt that the petulance has to be shown to start with.

Passion is one thing we all love, but not when it costs us, as unnecessary absences do.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]It''s nice to see so many of you standing up to support Leon and giving him the benefit of the doubt. However, I sit in in the Barclay and there is no doubt in my mind that he intentionally threw the ball at the ref. But I have to admit it was pretty funny. I agree he will probably be given a three match ban.[/quote]

So you actually support players being allowed to push, punch or throw things at the referee. Had Barnett not acted so unprofessionally I would have been backing him to the hilt however, a professional footballer cannot be seen to do things like this.

Personally, i thought the ref wanted to take me action just by the way he wouldnt take his eye''s off Barnett but he quickly ran off the pitch, looked like he intended to do it. Doesn''t matter what i think though if the ref wants to be an arse then he will have a further ban i suspect.

I suspect that as Paul Lambert has very recently rubbed a few of the FA up the wrong way re: Michael "twunt" Oliver (and I think he had a touchline ban last season), plus the fact the FA apparently want to clamp down on dissent towards refs, Barnett will get at least 3 games.

"Barnett threw the ball with intent at the referee which struck him in

the middle of his chest,i don''t know the exact rules but we will be

lucky if he only gets a three match ban."From Hucks''s match report.

Lambert is King - I too sat in th barclay, and thought it was hilarious. Obviously, by laughing, I''m clearly supporting the abuse of officials. The guy lost his rag, threw a football at the ref. He''ll be punished by the club and the fa. I certainly don''t think any less of him for it.

He will probably get about three games for it- and deservedly so, to be honest- you just can''t throw the ball at the ref like that and expect nothing to be made of it.If Wayne Rooney did that, there would be uproar, about how he is spoiled brat, thinks he is above the law etc. Although I don''t think Barnett is like that at all, we have to look at it objectively here, and most people will view it as a worse incident than Norwich fans will.