Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Belated thoughts on saturday

1. We played well and the defeat was daylight robbery really so I am not too concerned by the loss. I bet Pompey can''t believe their luck because they were second best for most of the game and for the first half we absolutely murdered them. Game should have been done and dusted by half time as we should have been 3 or 4 goals up. Had Holt been playing I think we would have been.

2. Jackson lacks composure. He is a handful through his movement but his finishing isn;t great.

3. I thought Ward was class.

4. Russell Martin had a good game generally but his final ball can be very frustrating. We were getting in with such ease down that side I was really surprised Macnamee did not come on much earlier.

5. Nugent''s run was a moment of class and his pace was very impressive. As well as he has done there sooner or later a team was going to exploit Lappin''s lack of pace an unfortunately it happened on saturday. Someone should have taken him out at the half way line really. The way he conducted himself however showed what a t**t he is and personally I would be highly amused if he broke his leg in the next match he plays. Totally uncalled for baiting of our fans and arrogant baiting of Korey as well.

6. It may sound like sour grapes and to be honest it is but i still find it deeply unpalatable that Portsmouth have been allowed to sign 4 or 5 premiership players on loan and pay them up to £20K a week. I understand they have still not paid many of the debts they said would be paid when the league sanctioned their takeover and i'';m not even sure they are not still in admin. Something about it is just not right.

Don''t consider point 6 as sour grapes, I''ve felt that way since the likes of Kitson and Lawrence joined them. Everything about that situation is wrong.

I agree with most of your comments Jim. In particular point 6; Portsmouth''s player acquisition methodology appears similar to Cardiff obtaining the services of Craig Bellamy. The ''rules'' of this game at times seem quite bizarre...

We have long memories and a lot of patience. Nugent''s time undoubtedly will come. When it does, make sure that you are there and enjoy it.

Couple of great songs from the Snake Pit yesterday:

"Pay up Pompey, Pompey pay up"and

"You''re just a Town full of Seamen"