Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

A bit of perspective...

Think back to 2006,2007,2008...Grant, Roeder,Gunn...Killen, Carney, Gow...bottom half, bottom half, relegation...and then carry on moaning. It is amazing how far we have come in such a short space of time, nothing short of a miracle, in the dark days of the listed above we couldn''t even dream of having anything to shout about. Times were tough as a Norwich fan, depressing, sad, dark and of course all this lead to relegation. The excitement of walking to Carrow Road and the long away day journeys were more like torture rather than enjoyable, enticing affairs that they should be.

Then all of a sudden in came Mr Lambert, our club was transformed, the excitement was restored, we had players who wanted to play for us, passionate, talented and most importantly of all they knew how much success meant to the fans. Of course, as we all know, we won promotion to where we really belong, the Championship. We didn''t have much money to spend in the summer, no-one in their right mind really expected us to do too well this season. We were all hoping for a non-relegation threatened season and as McNally said ''win more than we lose''.

We have defied the odds and started off this season in tremendous fashion, good away results, beat the lot from down the road, get awarded ''Performance of the week'' from the panel for last weeks game at Derby, and find ourselves in the top six.

Norwich City has been transformed more than is healthy in such a short space of time. Unfortunately this leads to over-expectant fans, fans who think we have a given right to win every game, fans who think all of our players should be doing everything right, when in actual fact they need to remember just how far we have come.

Yesterday, how anyone just expected us to win is beyond me. Portsmouth are a quality team, have been for many years and were established in the Premiership until administration struck to end their tenure in the top flight. Despite this, they reached the FA Cup final last year and gave one of the best teams in the world a run for their money. On paper, their first team is probably the best in the league. Lawrence, Webber, Nugent, Mullins, Kitson, these are all players that should by plying their trade in the Premiership. However much we love our players, these listed are better than the likes of Lappin, Crofts, Martin, Holt etc...This time last year there was 2 leagues between us. They have a top quality manager in Steve Cotterill and to be fair we gave them a good run for their money.

Norwich City is back to how we love it; un-predictable, passionate, has bags of ''potential'' and is a ''real'' club with a real manager. Lets keep it that way and cheer our team on to what could be a special season this year.

On the ball City!

Completely agree. I believe that Pompey''s first XI is one of the best in the division, if not the best.

The only thing though is that I don''t think people are actually panicking or moaning. I''ve yet to hear anyone

Thats the good thing that even though we lost everyone knows we played the best we could and that was to a high standard and to be honest we were quite unlucky yesterday.

Spot on. My prediction was a defeat due to the omission of Holt, so no massive disappointment, and as soon as he returns it''s onwards and upwards.  

Agreed. This over -reaction to a good performance but disappointing defeat due to poor finishing just shows how fast unrealistic expectations are built.

This league is predictably unpredictable and with just 7 points covering 12 places there is no outstanding team, including us. Likewise spending millions in Jan will not ensure promotion - 16 other clubs could think like that - 14 will be disappointed.

We need to build what the championship teams had - consistency.

A svensson, less petulance from key players and we could get that. but as lambert says - we need to be safe first

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Completely agree. I believe that Pompey''s first XI is one of the best in the division, if not the best. The only thing though is that I don''t think people are actually panicking or moaning. I''ve yet to hear anyone[/quote]

Go and sit in the Upper Barclay!

The bloke behind me yesterday didn''t shut up all game, I was close to telling him to shut it...I''d go as far to say he ruined my day more than the defeat.

but surely we are now just back where we started and failing to get back where we belong?  Must be time for a protest